Imperial Security Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

3 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Sean I believe you are right, we had some evidence that there was something like 2 sided mounting tape on the goggle strap showing on the Aldhani troopers. The back of the Rix Road trooper definitely slides up. We know from Fraser on set that the goggles were at least mounted to the front, if not cast in place.  The lenses in the black Rix Road troopers seem to have their lenses which were partially lost by the time they were repainted for Aldhani. 

My Army goggles slide all over the place, its just a factor of a goggle and a strap on smooth surface and nothing to grip. Even if they were mounted it would not take much to knock them loose, and that fall to the ground during the fight would defnitely do it. You can even see the color of the lens here. 

We have the green troopers set to grey webbing for the strap.  I have to wonder if this strap is the same strap, mounted internally with no changes, and appears darker due to film lighting differences. 

I agree with you on the lighting.  In some photos I have enhanced, the lighting and post production gives a lot of things they are wearing almost a blue hue when we know them to be black or grey.

We also know Ferrix was filmed first.  I can imagine they might have just handed off the armor (sans shin guards) to the next crew and extras.

• Like 1

Fraser noted that when he was dressed on set the chincups had fallen apart being very thinly cast, and that the shinguards were all damaged. All of us with those know how the knees break, and we feel the rear guard action of the Aldhani troopers didnt need the security and personal protection aspect of a security trooper doing crowd control. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Blackwatch said:

Fraser noted that when he was dressed on set the chincups had fallen apart being very thinly cast, and that the shinguards were all damaged. All of us with those know how the knees break, and we feel the rear guard action of the Aldhani troopers didnt need the security and personal protection aspect of a security trooper doing crowd control. 

That would make absolute sense.  I believe that the telemetry unit is what keeps the strap in place on the right side (or at least where the tape resides, and the goggles are permanent like you said they don't get jostled around in the riot.  Apologies for the phone shots.  Only way I can currently get screen grabs of shots not currently on cap-that.  More inside the bucket photos.  It's very rudimentary.  And then here's the telemetry unit side shot as well.

F3.jpg

F2.jpg

f1.jpg

• Like 1

These are better than I got by trying to take pics of the scenes using my phone. We see the final shape of the pad inside and the strap. 

The goggle strap goes under the TU and below it, so a part of it is physically trapped like the Mudtrooper is. I have like 6 of this style helmet and the only one with clips is Veers. The brass strip clips I made really help hold the strap in place. The others have glue on the backside because they will just fall off just putting the helmet on. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

These are better than I got by trying to take pics of the scenes using my phone. We see the final shape of the pad inside and the strap. 

The goggle strap goes under the TU and below it, so a part of it is physically trapped like the Mudtrooper is. I have like 6 of this style helmet and the only one with clips is Veers. The brass strip clips I made really help hold the strap in place. The others have glue on the backside because they will just fall off just putting the helmet on. 

Ill go back and scour cap-that to see if there are better side shots.  

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

In the mean time, I'll make sure to take off my BHG DCA hat since I'm on your territory :)  After doing the repaint Fett I swore I didn't want anything to do with CRLs, but here we are lol.  

Pictures have been loaded into the reference thread. The CRL team will continue compiling stuff that they may have for other versions, but feel free to link from the reference thread the pics into this as needed (no need to re-upload).

• Like 1

I have this exact rawlings chin cup and it is TINY. it is kid size, so I believe it may have been made for the show, perhaps based on this shape. 

I thought I could use these for my other Army trooper helmets (pictured left) but there was no way. I could literally lay my thumb inside of it. 

Early in the discussion Fraser told us that they were very thinly/cheaply cast and by the time he got to the set for the road to Nasma Klain the chincups broke. 

Concerning the color and shade, if you look at the scene where Marva is being projected above the crowd and the Security Troopers are massed, the riot sheild is black. It has absorbed all light. 

The troopers and their armor are a different shade when viewed from a distance but appear close when viewed at close range. This may be accounted for any cleacoat that was used. 

Edit-

I would like to keep the helmet discussion open for one more day, wrapping up the helmet tomorrow and moving on to the next item on the list.  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I have this exact rawlings chin cup and it is TINY. it is kid size, so I believe it may have been made for the show, perhaps based on this shape. 

I thought I could use these for my other Army trooper helmets (pictured left) but there was no way. I could literally lay my thumb inside of it. 

Early in the discussion Fraser told us that they were very thinly/cheaply cast and by the time he got to the set for the road to Nasma Klain the chincups broke. 

Concerning the color and shade, if you look at the scene where Marva is being projected above the crowd and the Security Troopers are massed, the riot sheild is black. It has absorbed all light. 

The troopers and their armor are a different shade when viewed from a distance but appear close when viewed at close range. This may be accounted for any cleacoat that was used. 

Edit-

I would like to keep the helmet discussion open for one more day, wrapping up the helmet tomorrow and moving on to the next item on the list.  

I'll keep looking into the chin strap thing.  Honestly from what we know about SW, they take off the shelf when they can.  Not disputing that the cup was cast, and it very well may  have been, but I just would be surprised if they didn't look for an off the shelf option.  As you stated though, I think a day is all needed on the bucket.  Pretty cut and dry.

• Thanks 1

Troopers I believe we can finalize the text for our helmet. There are no discernable major differences, and the chin cup may be identified, however with a different strap. 

The only thing I believe we can change, is the text of the googles. Instead of "are permanently mounted to the helmet" I would like to remove that text since they go flying during the Rix Road altercation. I believe that "may be" at the discretion of the builder would suffice, as long as the strap is trapped by the TU on the side of the helmet. 

Here is our text proosal:

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim. 
Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.
The helmet is to be painted black to match the armor.
The helmet may feature a black chin cup with grey webbing strap.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

The helmet has a webbing style head suspension similar to work hard hats.
Imperial Code Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.
Goggles and strap are may be permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap. 

• Like 1

One question to bring up is this (I am beating a dead horse from Aldhani here, I'm sure of it :D

Do we want to mention paint texture at all? The Ferrix helmets seem to have a little bit of that grainy texture to it, that is also found on some of the Aldhani helmets. 

IQDfqkK.png

I'm fine with not mentioning it directly, as long as it doesn't block future troopers from getting in! 

I'm happy with the helmet text personally. 

I think at least some had a rubber trim but @fb501 would best be able to answer that. It was not really discussed previously.

On the lenses we know some did not have lenses because they fell out. Current CRL text for Aldhani says tinted and TBH Im fine with leaving it that way. 

Im not convinced on the texture, and I dont want to write something into a CRL that will give a GML reason to deny. Ive seen that happen dozens of times.  if a person wants to do it, fine, its their choice. 

• Like 1

The helmets we had (the minions not the hero cast) the ridge was molded in wasn't a rubber trim

The goggles were cast and fixed in place 

The helmet chin cup on mine snapped half way to set and costume dept just removed the rest and said they were poop lol. They were cast from the original chin cups possibly the mudtrooper ones but were really really brittle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I think at least some had a rubber trim but @fb501 would best be able to answer that. It was not really discussed previously.

On the lenses we know some did not have lenses because they fell out. Current CRL text for Aldhani says tinted and TBH Im fine with leaving it that way. 

Im not convinced on the texture, and I dont want to write something into a CRL that will give a GML reason to deny. Ive seen that happen dozens of times.  if a person wants to do it, fine, its their choice. 

10-4.  Moving on... 

37 minutes ago, fb501 said:

The helmets we had (the minions not the hero cast) the ridge was molded in wasn't a rubber trim

The goggles were cast and fixed in place 

The helmet chin cup on mine snapped half way to set and costume dept just removed the rest and said they were poop lol. They were cast from the original chin cups possibly the mudtrooper ones but were really really brittle

Fraser as always thank you for the insight!

So with that said lets try this:

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim.  The lip may be either molded in place, or added as a black trim. Trim shall not exceed 3/8" (10mm"
Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.

Goggles and strap are may be permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

So with that said lets try this:

Helmet

A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim.  The lip may be either molded in place, or added as a black trim. Trim shall not exceed 3/8" (10mm"

Goggles and strap are may be permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap.

Do you think the black trim should be Level two, as it's that "extra mile" and likely a hero variant anyways?

• Like 1