Imperial Security Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

Hello troopers

Apologies for my absences. My work schedule is on call 24/7.  Multi-state road trips are a thing, and they are happening more and more frequently with only two people to cover the entire Gulf South.  I realy desperately need a third person here. 

Optional weathering-optional. "Parts may be weathered to depict on screen appearance"

On the grey inset this is what Im seein, and if Im seeing it others are too, so I want to explore this.

This is a deep inset, and if painted black should remain in shadow, not as a highlight. 

spacer.png

On 7/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, Blackwatch said:

Hello troopers

Apologies for my absences. My work schedule is on call 24/7.  Multi-state road trips are a thing, and they are happening more and more frequently with only two people to cover the entire Gulf South.  I realy desperately need a third person here. 

Optional weathering-optional. "Parts may be weathered to depict on screen appearance"

On the grey inset this is what Im seein, and if Im seeing it others are too, so I want to explore this.

This is a deep inset, and if painted black should remain in shadow, not as a highlight. 

spacer.png

I think we might be catching a little glare/ lighting in that picture. I'm taking a look at these other pics and just seeing the same matte/ anthracite color as the rest of the armor. I think the last pic is our most definitive look.

andor1x12_2344.jpg

andor1x12_2364.jpg

andor1x12_2484.jpg

andor1x12_2564.jpg
In this last picture, check out the guy on the far right of the screen. I think he gives us the best look.  Also, I can't help myself... look at the bicep armor on the guy second from the left. He's definitely wearing the inner bicep clam shell, BUT WHERE'S THE COVER STRIP!?!?!?!?!? 😆

I'm sorry. Every time I post something about the chest armor, I get another look at the stupid bicep.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for indulging me and this was the content I wanted. I knew that If *I* was seeing it, others will and just like what happened last time with the Aldhani troopers on the day the CRL goes live someone will come up with "BUT YOU DIDNT DISCUSS XX". I wanted to get that cleared out ahead of time. We have a line in the existing CRL that the armor needs to be accurate in both shape and design- it will be up to the maker to follow that guideline, and for the costume builder to either find a suitable design, or print their own from a file that has the correct shape. 

Agree on the bicep. I was talking to Andy over at the BHG the other day about the biceps for other costumes and this split clamshell design, and the craziness that it is leading us towerds.  Thats going to be a discussion that we will need to take a bit of time on. 

V1.2

Chest Armor 

Chest armor matches visual references being accurate in shape and design. 

The join between the chest and back armor are created by an angled sweep starting at the bottom of the chest armor and finishing at the bottom of the back armor. This may be held closed with magnets, velcro or other hidden fastener. 

There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.

Buckles attach to upper chest plate and match the armor color.  Buckles are gunmetal or silver with black recesses.

Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The shoulder strap is black. It is permitted to be made of cast flexible urethane or other flexible material.

To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from bottom to top with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval. The recessed area is painted medium grey.  The elongated oval is painted Humbrol Eed #19, or equivalent. The raised rectangle greeblie is painted silver or light grey.

Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor. A white or silver rectangle is present on this raised square.

On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.

Chest shall be painted to match helmet and back armor.  a very dark grey. Greenish undertones in certain lighting conditions is acceptable. An acceptable range of colors include RLM 70 to Sherwin Williams SW6994 Greenblack, or equivalent.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
Buckles have black recess on upper narrow section and the lower recess shall expose the chest armor.
Buckles may have silver paint chipping showing gunmetal underneath the silver.

its been a few days so Im going to wrap this up. 

V1.2 (final)

Chest Armor 

Chest armor matches visual references being accurate in shape and design. 

The join between the chest and back armor are created by an angled sweep starting at the bottom of the chest armor and finishing at the bottom of the back armor. This may be held closed with magnets, velcro or other hidden fastener. 

There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.

Buckles attach to upper chest plate and match the armor color. 

Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The shoulder strap is black. It is permitted to be made of cast flexible urethane or other flexible material.

To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from bottom to top with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval. 

Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.

On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.

Chest shall be painted to match helmet and back armor.  

Buckles have black recess on upper narrow section and the lower recess shall expose the chest armor.
Buckles may have silver paint chipping showing gunmetal underneath the silver.

Here is the back. 

One difference I see is that I do not note the loop of elatic / webbing on the back between the hose connectors. This one is fairly simple. 

Back Armor

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet.

Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.

Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

The backplate features painted details that vary from trooper to trooper. Acceptable colors for these details are either silver or gunmetal, but one color must be chosen. Mix and match of the detail items is not permitted.

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie. Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot, strap buckle, and recessed box color.

Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside, all painted silver or gunmetal. The silver or gunmetal paint does not leave the edge of the box opening.

The vents at the top of the boxes may have the openings darkened with weathering.

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. Light weathering is permitted.

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped.

Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.

There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recesses.

There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.

There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into. The raised slots are painted either silver or gunmetal grey.

Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • The hose fittings are angled forward.
  • There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box.
  • There are two indented squares approximately 1⁄4" x 1⁄4" (5mm x 5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.
37 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Here is the back. 

One difference I see is that I do not note the loop of elatic / webbing on the back between the hose connectors. This one is fairly simple. 

Back Armor

Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

The backplate features painted details that vary from trooper to trooper. Acceptable colors for these details are either silver or gunmetal, but one color must be chosen. Mix and match of the detail items is not permitted.

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie. Hose connecters are painted to match the strap raised slot, strap buckle, and recessed box color.

Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside, all painted silver or gunmetal. The silver or gunmetal paint does not leave the edge of the box opening.

The vents at the top of the boxes may have the openings darkened with weathering.

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. Light weathering is permitted.

There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recesses.

There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.

There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into. The raised slots are painted either silver or gunmetal grey.

Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle. The chest buckle shall match the raised slot color.

• There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box.
  • There are two indented squares approximately 1⁄4" x 1⁄4" (5mm x 5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.

This looks about right.  Colors all the same.  They really went for blackout.  Jason can better speak to the armor itself but to me, it looks right.  As you said, pretty easy.

• Like 1

let me clean this up so its easier to read:

Back Armor

Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. 

There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into. 

Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

let me clean this up so its easier to read:

Back Armor

Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside that are painted to match the recessed box color. 

Ok. I wasn't going to jump on the back until tomorrow after I cleaned up my raw prints, but if we want to close it up, here's my recommendations. Please, no comments about layer lines or support remnants; these are extremely raw:

1. The back armor consists of three main parts; each are joined with seamless connections. The three parts are the main back armor, the raised backpack, and the collar/ yoke.
  2. For paint, I barely touched on it in an earlier post, but for all armor, I would add moderate weathering is permitted to simulate the Rix Road armor's appearance post-explosion.
  3. We can't forget that A circle recess, approximately 25mm in diameter, is located on the right side, on top of the backpack, underneath the right shoulder strap slot.

mD54HLm.jpg

4. I really feel like we should do a better job at spelling out what the back box greeblies look like (If I had my way, we'd fix this in the Muddy CRL as well).
    Please see the following excerpt from the Shoretrooper CRL as a reference. My deviations from the shorey CRL are in yellow. The Shoretrooper CRL has a few things that need to be updated as well, but this is different:
    The upper half of the backpack has two large cut out recesses with (8) symmetrical vent details and greeblies inside.
    - Each recess has a different and specific set of black greeblies inside which are painted to match the rest of the armor
         Left Side Recess:
         - A rectangle shape greeblie with an angled right side end with five panels is present.
         - The first left panel has a tube on top that runs up the left side and across the top of the recess.
         - On the right side a heat sink (modeled after an MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink) is fitted.
    I added the part about the MSI DDR Chipset since it's a known part. This also eliminates the "artistic freedom" a lot of our makers have been engaging in with their armor.

The shoretrooper CRL also provides a link to a picture of the box which I think is a very good practice; several of the detachments do this to clear up confusion in detailed areas. This is the one I'm currently working on:
    OP9M9lq.jpg

Right Side Recess:
    - A long thin strip located directly underneath the 8 vents, has 2 flat ends with approximately 17 cylinder shaped teeth extending from the left edge to approximately 10-14mm from the right edge.
    - Below it is a rectangle shape greeblie consisting of two parts.
       - The left side has a raised "vent" in which the far left 1/3 is flat, followed by a thin line recess and 7X3 rows of oblong-shaped indents.
       - The right side has a circular type hose connector
    QFYB1JZ.jpg

5. I think the 4 raised bars should be mandatory not optional. Every picture shows them.

6. There are five (5) tapered vents on the lower sides of the backpack. Vents are present on the left and right.
    fkReszV.jpg

7. There is a stepped ledge at the bottom of the main back box. The above picture shows the stepped ledge side profile. I brought this up in the Aldhani thread also and it was included as a level 2 requirement.
  8. "Long thin raised greeblie" kind of gives the wrong impression. Recommend changing to There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 4.5-5mm tall and 30mm long.
    ImMzGac.jpg

9. There is a small (approximately 5mm diameter) raised circular greeblie centered aproximately 23mm below the oblong greeblie. The bottom of the circular greeblie is in line with the top of the small rectangular cutout on the lower left side of the backpack.
    jz10yog.jpg

10. Finally, I really think we need to spell out how this armor is different in shape from the Shoretrooper. Again, this is due to people assuming that it's the same piece of armor and not realizing the main back armor has a very distinct shape along the bottom.
    Please see my Ferrix Trooper (Left) and Shoretrooper (Right) for an example:
    tNFy1NL.jpg

The bottom of the back armor jets down symmetrically, from a point on either side of the bottom corners of the backpack (approximately 6mm below the bottom edge of the half circle), to where the back and chest armor join. The total drop is approximately 55mm. 

A8CiUK2.jpg

Also, I will post the screen references soon. These notes are all based off the references, not the armor I'm working with.

Ok, as promised, I wanted to throw up some reference material. While I was grabbing it, I also found a few more items that I feel we should note; primarily the collar and maybe requiring the forward angled hose connectors for level 1. The angle of the hose connectors seems like a pretty definitive thing and basic install; I've never seen anything that would lead us to assume otherwise:

EgByYIM.jpg

Fhf1rZU.jpg

dFbExwH.jpg

andor1x12_2540.jpg
And here's another picture of the collar. Notice that it sits approximately 25-30mm high in the back. Most vendors have made this change, but others haven't. Early on, several vendors felt that since the collar was hidden by the Mudtrooper's plash, it wasn't necessary. However, since 2018, several reference photos emerged showing views similar to this. 

You can also see that David and Sean's assessment regarding the webbing loop is correct. Like the Aldhani trooper, it was not included in this costume.

my brain isnt processing much right now, im too tired, but Ill try to get back to this tomorrow if I dont work overight again. 

Ok updating this, this is quick and dirty typed out in notepad in between broken airplanes. Im at the end of a double shift so things are getting a little fuzzy looking at this. 

Back V 2.0

+Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. The back plate, box and collar are seamless. 

+Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate. The collar is seamless and stands 1'-1.5" (25mm-30mm)tall

+Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate. 

+The hose connectors are angled forward.

+There is a 1" (25mm) recessed cirle on top of and to the wearer's right of the right hose connector. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses with +eight symmetrical vent details and greeblies inside.

Each recess has different and specific set of xxxxxboxesxxxx greeblies inside that are painted to match the xxxxrecessed box colorxxxx  the rest of the armor. 

Left side recess has a rectangle shape greeblie with an angled right side end with five panels.
The first left panel has a tube on top that runs up the left side and across the top of the recess.
On the right side a heat sink is fitted. A heatsink modeled from 
a MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink is most accurate. 

Right side recess has 8 rectangular vents. Below this is a long thin strip with 17 teeth extending from the left edge to approximately 5/16"-3/8" (10m-14mm) from the right edge. 
Below it is a rectangle shape greeblie consisting of two parts.
The left part is flat, the center is three rows of 7 oblong depressions and the right part features a hose connector greeblie. 
The left side has a raised "vent" in which the far left 1/3 is flat, followed by a thin line recess and 7X3 rows of oblong-shaped indents.
The right side has a circular type hose connector

There are 5 tapered vents on the lower sides of the backpack. Vents are present on the left and right.

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. (im drawing a blank on this)

xxxxxxxThere is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recesses.xxxx
+There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 1/8"-3/16" (4.5-5)mm tall and 1 1/4" (30mm) long.

xxxxxThere is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.xxxx
+There is a small  1/4" (5mm) diameter) raised circular greeblie centered aproximately 7/8" below the oblong greeblie. The bottom of the circular greeblie is in line with the top of the small rectangular cutout on the lower left side of the backpack.

+Moderate weathering to depict the Rix Road incident is permitted and must match reference images. 

There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box.
There are two indented squares approximately 1⁄4" x 1⁄4" (5mm x 5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.

Most of the above requirements reads good and I think we're close. However, I see a few items that may be a bit confusing, so we might want to clean it up just a little. 

On 7/21/2023 at 11:42 PM, Blackwatch said:

Right side recess has 8 rectangular vents. Below this is a long thin strip with 17 teeth extending from the left edge to approximately 5/16"-3/8" (10m-14mm) from the right edge. 

Both recesses have the 8 rectangular vents; we should probably clarify that.

Of note, on the screen used Shoretrooper armor, these were hollowed out and backed with a black fabric. Whether this was for ventilation, or just part of the casting process is debatable, but it can't be seen either way. I'm not aware of any vendors, who are doing this for the Mudtrooper/ ICAT armor, but maybe we note it just in case. Here's my two examples for clarification. 

YwljZin.jpg
Notice that you can see through the vents on the one on the right. Also worth noting is the size difference in the two boxes.

After I provided a bunch of measurements last week, I started thinking about them. Some will argue the inclusion of this data is irrelevant and for the most part, I agree. However, though our CRL verbiage always clearly states "Requirements for all 501st costumes are proportional to the wearer in scale, fit and size"  a lot of these accessories are known parts, so even with 3D print scaling, I think it's appropriate to list the dimensions of certain elements. A known part that measures 38X38X5mm looks a lot different at 100% than it does at 110%.

Also, I had a few messages asking me what I was talking about with the MSI DDR reference, so here you go:

5zlQdYk.jpg

The left part is flat, the center is three rows of 7 oblong depressions and the right part features a hose connector greeblie. 
The left side has a raised "vent" in which the far left 1/3 is flat, followed by a thin line recess and 7X3 rows of oblong-shaped indents.

I agree with everything here.

Here's a better pic of one I just put together:

eBO4m9v.jpg

Again, not everyone's is going to look exactly the same as this. Some resin castings won't leave space behind the 7 rows of 3 vents, and that's honestly more accurate, but this gives you a good view of the 3 main greeblies in the right box.

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. (im drawing a blank on this)

Here you go:
tEmg33S.jpg

Thanks Jason

Ill make some edits to this. If I printed mine I would grind the back off and put a fan on it.  I did that with the Boushh helmet, I dont know if it helped much but my friend Niki is deaf anyway so she never heard the fan. Ill work on the update and put that in a seperate post. 

Ok, got some free time here so here are some changes, described above.

Back V 2.1

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. The back plate, box and collar are seamless. 

Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate. The collar is seamless and stands 1'-1.5" (25mm-30mm)tall

Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate

The hose connectors are angled forward.

There is a 1" (25mm) recessed circle on top of and to the wearer's right of the right hose connector. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses. Each has eight symmetrical rectangular vent details and various greeblies inside.

Each recess has different and specific set of boxes greeblies inside that are painted to match the recessed box color  the rest of the armor. 

Left side recess has a rectangle shape greeblie with an angled right side end with five panels.
The first left panel has a tube on top that runs up the left side and across the top of the recess.
On the right side a heat sink is fitted. A heatsink modeled from a MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink is most accurate. 

Right side recess has 8 rectangular vents.

Right side recess has a long thin strip with 17 teeth, extending from the left edge to approximately 5/16"-3/8" (10m-14mm) from the right edge. This is located directly below the doulbe row of rectangular vents. 

There are 5 tapered vents on the lower sides of the backpack. These vents are present on the left and right.

There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 1/8"-3/16" (4.5-5)mm tall and 1 1/4" (30mm) long.

There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.xxxx
There is a small  1/4" (5mm) diameter) raised circular greeblie centered aproximately 7/8" below the oblong greeblie. The bottom of the circular greeblie is in line with the top of the small rectangular cutout on the lower left side of the backpack.

Moderate weathering to depict the Rix Road incident is permitted and must match reference images. 

There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box.
There are two indented squares approximately 1⁄4" x 1⁄4" (5mm x 5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.

• Like 1

Ok so lets take a look at this as a final proposal. Once we lock this down, we can go back and edit the Aldhani trooper since the features are the same.  

My only real concern here is approval for those purchasing kits, which are likley not being updated.  We dont control vendors and how they treat their molds.  I have a Jim Tripon fiberlass kit, and its a far cry from these details. 

Back V 2.1 (Final)

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. The back plate, box and collar are seamless. 

Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate. The collar is seamless and stands 1'-1.5" (25mm-30mm)tall

Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate. 

There is a 1" (25mm) recessed circle on top of and to the wearer's right of the right hose connector. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses. Each recess has eight symmetrical rectangular vent details and various greeblies inside.

Each recess has different and specific set of greeblies inside that are painted to match the the rest of the armor. 

On the right side a heat sink is fitted. A heatsink modeled from a MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink is most accurate. 

Right side recess has a long thin strip with 17 teeth, extending from the left edge to approximately 5/16"-3/8" (10m-14mm) from the right edge. This is located directly below the doulbe row of rectangular vents. 

There are 5 tapered vents on the lower sides of the backpack. These vents are present on the left and right.

There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 1/8"-3/16" (4.5-5) mm tall and 1 1/4" (30mm) long.

There is a small  1/4" (5mm) diameter) raised circular greeblie centered aproximately 7/8" below the oblong greeblie. The bottom of the circular greeblie is in line with the top of the small rectangular cutout on the lower left side of the backpack.

Moderate weathering to depict the Rix Road incident is permitted and must match reference images. 

38 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Ok so lets take a look at this as a final proposal. Once we lock this down, we can go back and edit the Aldhani trooper since the features are the same.  

My only real concern here is approval for those purchasing kits, which are likley not being updated.  We dont control vendors and how they treat their molds.  I have a Jim Tripon fiberlass kit, and its a far cry from these details. 

Back V 2.1 (Final)

Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses. Each recess has eight symmetrical rectangular vent details and various greeblies inside.

Each recess has different and specific set of greeblies inside that are painted to match the the rest of the armor. 

There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 1/8"-3/16" (4.5-5) mm tall and 1 1/4" (30mm) long.

Looking good.  Same, but different only on the coloring which Aldhani actually has.

Over in BHG, we are working closely with many Vendors just for that reason.  Some are willing to take advice.  We worked closely with Redman studios to get accurate Boba repaint armor.  I and the team spent hours with him.  Others are less receptive and are just going to make money with what they have.  As far as approval, I guess that will come doown to L1/L2.  Some things we did not budge on with the repaint Fett.  The "blinkers" on his helmet being one such thing.  The new helmet had smaller blinkers and it is glaringly obvious.  Others we had to make exceptions due to difficulty sourcing material, such as the girth belt.  

In the end, you just need to decide what's close enough that it doesn't matter, and what is something that has to be included.

You know this though, so what you choose in the end, I'm cool with :)

It comes down to how close a GML looks at things as well. Some do their due diligence, others just pretty much look at the CRL picture and roll with it.   Luck of the draw for your Garrison. 

1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

It comes down to how close a GML looks at things as well. Some do their due diligence, others just pretty much look at the CRL picture and roll with it.   Luck of the draw for your Garrison. 

Oh yeah.  And it’s been a huge cause for frustration seeing some of the stuff getting approved that really shouldn’t.  But it is what it is.

• Like 1

David,
Great job. Sorry it took me so long to respond; I need to set up notifications so I see these updates.

On 7/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, Blackwatch said:

First and foremost, I'll caveat everything I have to say with the thought that I love Jimmy's gear. I have three of his fiberglass armor sets and each of them are incredible. However, he definitely has flaws in the Mudtrooper armor that need to be addressed, but if you're trooping as a Muddy and you're wearing a plash, it's all stuff that can't be seen.

However, for an ICAT driver, or Aldhani/ Ferrix armor, you either need to pass on it, or make some alterations. Jim has been told about these items, but frankly, it would be more of a hassle to remake the molds and cast new armor for a relatively niche couple costumes.

However, there's more than enough troopers running around wearing Jim's armor for their ICAT, who can attest that the GMLs aren't going to harp on the nit-noid details. The back box greeblies may not be 100% accurate, but they represent the details we laid out, i.e. the heatsink may not be 38X38 mm, but it was made to look similar. The biggest issue with that particular armor set would be the neck/ yoke which is clearly seen in multiple ICAT/ Aldhani/ Ferrix scenes. Since it's not covered by a plash on these shows, that thing needs to be worked on, but overall, this is a fine set of armor.

Regarding the other vendors: they need to do better. This image I posted earlier on in the conversation is real frustrating:
LLLaiyx.jpg

It's actually kind of upsetting because it comes from a pretty good vendor. He spent the time getting the chest right, but then threw in a shoretrooper back and said "welp, my job's done here." When my buddy reached out to the vendor and said "it's the wrong back armor," he was basically told that others had made it work, so he can too. IF these vendors want to continue serving the community, they need to step up, otherwise the entire hobby will be dominated by 3D printing.

That's not a horrible thing though, I'm one of the OG 3D guys in the legion. But seriously, some people just can't do 3D printed costumes.

I think it's critical to hold the line on the requirements as we develop CRLs. Our Charter specifically calls for the creation and use of quality costumes. This drives the hobby as well as the vendors. It's the basic concept of supply and demand. However, several builders, and GMLs, are taking a laissez-faire attitude with these costumes. While I'm not opposed to looking at a back box and saying "it meets the intent," I am opposed to saying "whatever."

That's just my musings. Now let's get into the meat of this post:

On 7/31/2023 at 2:02 PM, Blackwatch said:

Back V 2.1 (Final)

Only thing we're missing is the stepped ledge at the bottom of the back pack. I've already posted pics, but it should probably be included as a level 2 requirement that reads as:

There is a stepped ledge at the bottom of the main back box.

• Like 1

So I went for a real long run today and had 2 things running through my head while I was on the trails.

The first was George Harrison's While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but that's totally irrelevant.

The next thing that seriously dominated my thoughts for the 3.5 hours that I was out there was this CRL thread.

Yes, those are the kind of things you think about when you're starving your brain of oxygen and the last thing you did before you left the house was posting in this thread.

So, somewhere around the second hour, I started thinking about the collar, mostly because I just printed another one in Tenacious Resin, but also because I started second guessing the verbiage that I'm pretty sure I brought up previously:

I maintain that the collar stands approximately 1"-1.5" in the rear and tapers down into the chest, but the seamless part started annoying me. I started thinking "where did this idea come from" and I'm pretty sure it was from a Facebook build group. So, let me just say that I can't find anything to support the "seamless" requirement and as a matter of fact, every iteration of this back armor that I've found pictures of shows a seam. Let me post ours:

KGVrlpQ.jpg

W9yhXkL.jpg

And of course... our armor's daddy:

06fxPLh.jpg

So, just saying... I think we need to get rid of the "seamless" wording.

• Like 1

Im modding my jim tripon armor I bought off Andy to add the collar, and I agree the seperation is there. Its not blended in seamlessly like its been bondo'd and blended, so we can remove that line.  That way should a set be molded that IS seamless it will still qualify, as well as those that appear as a seperate part as with 3d printing. 

I thought I had added the ledge line in, but it would be fine for an L2. It would be easy enough to add with a thick piece of sign plastic from the hardware store if its missing from a back piece. 

Back V 2.2

Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses. Each recess has eight symmetrical rectangular vent details and various greeblies inside.

Each recess has different and specific set of greeblies inside that are painted to match the the rest of the armor. 

On the right side a heat sink is fitted. A heatsink modeled from a MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink is most accurate. 

There is a stepped ledge at the bottom of the main back box.