Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon (Rebels - Animated) CRL Discussion

Just so I'm not missing the obvious, am I correct in thinking that the site above only covers S1 of Rebels so far?  There's not a button hiding somewhere in plain site that jumps on to the following seasons?

Okay, some nice new screens added to the reference gallery, and I'll include the best jetpack ones below.  One unfortunate note, the higher quality grabs reveal some new detailing on the torso armour, so we'll have to redo a little bit there.  So don't go starting the 3D prints yet mate!  There are also some nice shots of the paintwork and weathering that will be useful.

2 3 6 10 16

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont know if this pouches is leather made, it's hard to decide, they can be printed in my opinion. 

I'm thinking about giving up the project. I don't have any experiences with 3d modeling. I also don't have equipment or facilities to finalize this. Beren88 have all this things. 

I don't have a big chances to join the Legion, so maybe i will go with my own project - Nihil pirate from High Republic era, only as a cosplayer. 

On 2/26/2024 at 8:39 PM, beren88 said:

here is the belt and belt pouches. in case some people prefer to have them printed. 

i figured should be made out of leather, but i will defer to you folks for the belt.

mmDzl8j.jpg

jTjZleF.jpg

what changes were needed for the torso? can you show it to me?

These images show the needed changes best:

5 9

There are new "detail indents" visible here.

1) Visible line following the bottom edge of the upper chest plate.

2) Visible line following the bottom edge of the lower chest plate.

3) There is also an extra division in the abdominal detail indents that wasn't visible in the older references.

• Like 1

Regarding the new lines at the bottom of the chest plates, in some angles it also looks like the edge of each plate then bevels down slightly below each of them.  Changes in purple below:

Chest Armour and Shoulder Pauldrons

• Armour is segmented with an Upper Chest Armour overlapping the Lower Chest Armour.  These may be permanently fixed together, or fitted separately so long as they as attached firmly together when worn.
  • The Upper Chest Armour also overlaps the Shoulder Pauldrons, which likewise can be permanently fixed, or able to be attached securely when worn.
  • Armour is painted white and red to match reference images, and to match the white and red paint used on the helmet and other hard armour pieces.
  • The front of the Upper Chest Armour has a semi-circular notch cut into the centre of the lower front edge.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the front covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  The lower sides run from the front edge of each Shoulder Pauldron to meet at the semi-circular notch at the bottom of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • A circular white detail indent with black outline is present halfway along the lower left (as worn) side of the front triangle.
  • A linear detail indent borders the lower edge of the upper chest plate.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the rear likewise covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  However the lower sides differ from the front as they run from the lower edge of the Pauldrons down to the bottom centre of the Lower Chest Plate, not the Upper Chest Plate.  Note that much of this will be hidden by the Jetpack.
  • The Lower Chest Armour has symmetrical, twin semi-circular notches cut into the lower front edge.  The notches line up with the details featured in the Abdominal Armour.
  • The lower edge of the Lower Chest Armour curves down to the sides from a arched centre point at the front centre.  The rear edge therefore sits much lower than the front, and covers almost the entirety of the Abdominal Armour underneath.
  • A linear detail indent borders the lower edge of the lower chest plate.
  • The two layers of the Chest Armour may be joined in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.

Shoulder Straps.

• White painted hard armour "straps" sit on both shoulders connecting the front and back halves of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • The material and white paint of the straps should match those of the Chest Armour.

Abdominal Armour

• Made from the same hard material as the rest of the armour, and painted white to match all other relevant armour.
  • May be constructed in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.
  • Is worn so that it is overlapped by the Lower Chest Armour above it.  The Lower Chest Armour curves down at the sides so that almost completely overlaps the Abdominal Armour at the rear.
  • Two symmetrical detail indents are present at the front, to match reference pictures.
    • The outer edges of each design must be aligned with the cut outs at the bottom edge of the Lower Chest Armour.
    • The inner details are rectangular, with a semi-circular top edge that sits just below the semi-circular cut outs on the Lower Chest Plate.
    • The inner details are split into four segments, divided to match reference images.
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

These images show the needed changes best:

5 9

There are new "detail indents" visible here.

1) Visible line following the bottom edge of the upper chest plate.

2) Visible line following the bottom edge of the lower chest plate.

3) There is also an extra division in the abdominal detail indents that wasn't visible in the older references.

i will redo with the indents

thanks for the updates

• Thanks 1

Jetpack first draft:

Jetpack:

• Similar in style to "Cody" animated jetpack, but matching visual references.
  • Central thruster is painted a dark gunmetal.
  • Side thrusters are painted red and white to match other armour parts, with designs to match visual references.
  • Red areas show medium to heavy weathering to match visual references, white in colour to match other armour parts.
  • There is a curved bridge over the central thruster that is yellow/gold in colour with 3 white designs to match visual references.
    • The height of the bridge piece is approximately 1/5 the length of the central thruster, and the top of the bridge piece is located approximately this same distance from the top of the thruster.

Yes, it is very similar but would need some new sculpting of the central thruster details, plus getting rid of the detail on the tops of the two side thrusters.  We should probably specify that an unmodified "Cody" or "Sabine" jetpack isn't accurate.

• Like 1

Looking again, I think it's actually just that Etsy model that has an inaccurate sculpting of the central thruster.  The design of Sabine's jetpack matches the ISC jetpack exactly when you look at the references:

il_794xN.4193927607_4ci9.jpg

53547873627_47fb156858_b.jpg

That Etsy model is just a slightly inaccurate attempt at that:

il_1140xN.3237303873_c3xg.jpg

So we definitely need to find or build a more accurate Sabine/ISC jetpack.  It is the same jetpack that Saxon wears - the only difference is the paint job / markings.  It certainly shouldn't have the scribed markings at the top of the two outer thrusters that can be see in the Etsy photo above.  Those markings are accurate for the regular ISC jetpack, but we'll cover that when we get to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/13/2024 at 6:19 AM, tipperaryred said:

Looking again, I think it's actually just that Etsy model that has an inaccurate sculpting of the central thruster.  The design of Sabine's jetpack matches the ISC jetpack exactly when you look at the references:

il_794xN.4193927607_4ci9.jpg

53547873627_47fb156858_b.jpg

That Etsy model is just a slightly inaccurate attempt at that:

il_1140xN.3237303873_c3xg.jpg

So we definitely need to find or build a more accurate Sabine/ISC jetpack.  It is the same jetpack that Saxon wears - the only difference is the paint job / markings.  It certainly shouldn't have the scribed markings at the top of the two outer thrusters that can be see in the Etsy photo above.  Those markings are accurate for the regular ISC jetpack, but we'll cover that when we get to it.

yeah, i planned on remodeling the jetpack anyway.  I have the one on etsy isnt accurate.

Im working on the thighs and gun first

• Thanks 2

Jetpack second draft:

Jetpack:

• The same basic design as the Sabine Wren / Imperial Super Commando animated jetpack, but matching visual references for paint and markings.
  • Central thruster is painted a dark gunmetal.
  • Side thrusters are painted red and white to match other armour parts, with designs to match visual references.
  • Red areas show medium to heavy weathering to match visual references, white in colour to match other armour parts.
  • There is a curved bridge over the central thruster that is yellow/gold in colour with 3 white designs to match visual references.
    • The height of the bridge piece is approximately 1/5 the length of the central thruster, and the top of the bridge piece is located approximately this same distance from the top of the thruster.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Moving onto gauntlets, the basic mould seems to be that of the animated Phase 2 clone gauntlets, albeit modified with a different button configuration?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Moving onto gauntlets, the basic mould seems to be that of the animated Phase 2 clone gauntlets, albeit modified with a different button configuration?

They appear to be a similar base shape to the later seasons of TCW clone forearms (once the elbows detached and back taper was not so sharp): 

c9907764193f43867fa21e8ac4af0666.jpg

Phase_2_Clone_Wars_Cody.jpg

192958-Star_Wars-clone_trooper.jpg

Boil_Phase_2.jpg

You refine the shape and  add the additional ridges, different buttons and tapered thinner shape toward the wrist that clones don't. Could certainly start with the model for a clone and build out from there.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:13 AM, tipperaryred said:
  • Thanks 2

I agree with both of you. That is very similar to how we have developed the Purge trooper CRLs and updates, by utilizing the clone stuff and modifying it as it fits.

• Thanks 1

DRAFT

Forearm Armour

• Armour is painted red to match the other armour parts.
  • Moderate to heavy weathering in white is present on both forearms, with a horizontal scratch particularly visible on the left forearm.
  • Each forearm has two raised rectangular compad buttons located just above the wrist.
    • The button closest to the wrist is red.
    • The upper button is orange.
  • Armour is seamless on the outer edge.
    • Due to the shape of the armour, a butted seam is acceptable on the inside if required.
  • Elbow plate is integrated into the forearm.
  • Left forearm has a spiralling white band painted above the wrist.  This starts behind the red button, follows the contours of the armour around the back, and terminates just above and to the side of the orange button.
  • Right forearm has a white band painted between the forearm plate and the integrated elbow plate.  This band continues to the rear of the forearm plate, flush with the top edge.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable)

• The rear lower portion of each forearm tapers slightly inwards towards the wrist, starting approximately at the same level as the gap between the two compad buttons.

Now for the tricky part.  The white band painted on the right forearm isn't consistent across all of the references.

Here, the white band painted on the right forearm is angular at the front:

Yet here and in other images, the band seems to form a straight line:

53548937428_bd34ddf464_b.jpg

To complicate matters even further, in one scene the white band on the right forearm mirrors the positioning of that on the left forearm, and has no band around the elbow at all:

53548746191_8906cb58d5_b.jpg

I'd be inclined to ignore that last reference as a mistake, as most of the other references in the same scene seem to be consistent with how the armour appears in all other scenes.  In other words there's nothing to suggest that he changed his right forearm armour for plot reasons.

I'd be inclined to go with the "angled" white band as shown in the first image, as it is the most close up and high-res view we have.  What do others think?

Just going to dash ahead on some thoughts on the gloves and hand plates, and leave the gauntlets open for now.

Gloves:

This could be a tricky one, as the reference images seem to suggest that they're made out of the same material as the upper flight suit:

53549181515_5f351ef7de_b.jpg

Not only is the colour identical, but they also have the same ribbed texture to them.

From a practical point of view, it would be a huge challenge to find the right top part of the jumpsuit, only to then have to find some spare identical material with which to handmake some matching gloves.  The best option would be having a tailor making both as a custom order, which would certainly be an extra barrier to getting the costume made.

My inclination would be to maybe specify that for basic clearance they only need to be fabric gloves, closely matching the colour of the upper flight suit.  It could be a Lvl2 detail that they have to be made from the same material as the upper flight suit?

Draft:

• Gloves are made from a textured fabric, closely matching the maroon of the upper flight suit.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Gloves should be made from the same material as the upper flight suit.

Hand Plates:

The only slight complication that I can see here is that the hand plates continue up the wrist, running under the gauntlets.  So for practical purposes, they would almost certainly need to be made out of a flexible material.  This aside, they would just need to be painted to match the red armour, and have the white triangular design painted on both plates.

Draft:

• Hand plates should be red in colour, matching other armour parts.
  • Hand plates should extend up the wrist, running underneath the gauntlets.
  • Hand plates may be constructed from a flexible material to facilitate movement.
  • A white triangular design should be painted on both hand plates, matching visual references.