Imperial Super Commando - Gar Saxon (Rebels - Animated) CRL Discussion

Seven commandos, don't forget about me :) Of course in whole world. But it's great that this topic are so hot now.

I don't think is a good idea to change a detachment now. Gar Saxon never was a bounty hunter, but it's not my decision, I'm only a newbie here & I need only the accurate costume. But maybe the Bounty Hunters will have some good ideas, every help could be important. 

I also need to talk with polish mandalorian groups, maybe they could help me with 3d modeling. I wanna be more active with preparation of this costume. 

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing the new renders, it will be great to get this costume over the line in the near future.  It's brilliant how much work has already been done here, and once we have an approved CRL we can copy and paste the majority of it into the ISC grunt CRL too.

5 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

Looking forward to seeing the new renders, it will be great to get this costume over the line in the near future.  It's brilliant how much work has already been done here, and once we have an approved CRL we can copy and paste the majority of it into the ISC grunt CRL too.

i posted up the newest render. Im just awaiting word on any changes requested.

Once that has been reviewed, then we can decide which part to model next

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, beren88 said:

i posted up the newest render. Im just awaiting word on any changes requested.

Once that has been reviewed, then we can decide which part to model next

Apologies my friend - I know you mention chest and back renders the other day but I forgot you'd already posted up the chest!

It's a busy trooping weekend, but I'll get that reviewed ASAP!

• Like 1
On 1/14/2024 at 10:14 PM, beren88 said:

hey all. holidays are over

updated the chest plate for perusal

@IcyTrooper@tipperaryred

rsnGCEL.jpg

I think that chest piece looks pretty spot on now, great work! The only remaining question is how it fits with the back piece and how the shoulder straps are applied.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

I think that chest piece looks pretty spot on now, great work! The only remaining question is how it fits with the back piece and how the shoulder straps are applied.

i was thinking of cutting it into parts, front, back, and then have the shoulders cut so they go on last, to act as a seam cover so only visible seam would be on sides.

I thought too of making it so that the plating would have spots could install magnets into to keep the back and the front connected when worn

On 1/21/2024 at 5:44 AM, beren88 said:

i was thinking of cutting it into parts, front, back, and then have the shoulders cut so they go on last, to act as a seam cover so only visible seam would be on sides.

I thought too of making it so that the plating would have spots could install magnets into to keep the back and the front connected when worn

Do you mean using magnets in the lower potions of the plate under the arms? Unless the armour was very thick it might be difficult to find strong enough magnets that fit in the edge. It would be an elegant solution if you can make it work, but I could imagine it being extremely difficult.

For the CRL we can leave the attachment method open anyway. Simple nylon webbing or velcro straps might do the job for many people.

• Thanks 1

I'll work on the exact CRL wording for both front and back torso plates later, but for now, is the following how everyone else is also seeing this?

For the back plate:

reb_ca_1831_bab1cbe1.jpeg

- The upper chest plate continues around the back at the same level as at the front.  The red arrow painted on is a little thicker than it is at the front.  The back arrow extends down to the bottom of the lower chest plate, while the point of the front arrow ends at the bottom of the upper chest plate.

-  The lower chest plate curves down around the sides so that it sits much lower at the back, almost completely covering the rear part of the abdominal plate.  There are no cut outs on the bottom edge as seen on the front of the plate.

-  The abdominal plate has so little showing of it at the rear that we can only really say that it mirrors what we see at the front (minus the greeblies).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

I'll work on the exact CRL wording for both front and back torso plates later, but for now, is the following how everyone else is also seeing this?

For the back plate:

- The upper chest plate continues around the back at the same level as at the front.  The red arrow painted on is a little thicker than it is at the front.  The back arrow extends down to the bottom of the lower chest plate, while the point of the front arrow ends at the bottom of the upper chest plate.

-  The lower chest plate curves down around the sides so that it sits much lower at the back, almost completely covering the rear part of the abdominal plate.  There are no cut outs on the bottom edge as seen on the front of the plate.

-  The abdominal plate has so little showing of it at the rear that we can only really say that it mirrors what we see at the front (minus the greeblies).

im in agreement

• Thanks 1
On 1/22/2024 at 7:04 PM, tipperaryred said:

Do you mean using magnets in the lower potions of the plate under the arms? Unless the armour was very thick it might be difficult to find strong enough magnets that fit in the edge. It would be an elegant solution if you can make it work, but I could imagine it being extremely difficult.

For the CRL we can leave the attachment method open anyway. Simple nylon webbing or velcro straps might do the job for many people.

I agree with this!

On 1/30/2024 at 10:26 AM, tipperaryred said:

For the back plate:

My same viewing of this piece, thanks!

• Thanks 1

Chest Armour and Shoulder Pauldrons

• Armour is segmented with an Upper Chest Armour overlapping the Lower Chest Armour.  These may be permanently fixed together, or fitted separately so long as they as attached firmly together when worn.
  • The Upper Chest Armour also overlaps the Shoulder Pauldrons, which likewise can be permanently fixed, or able to be attached securely when worn.
  • Armour is painted white and red to match reference images, and to match the white and red paint used on the helmet and other hard armour pieces.
  • The front of the Upper Chest Armour has a semi-circular notch cut into the centre of the lower front edge.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the front covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  The lower sides run from the front edge of each Shoulder Pauldron to meet at the semi-circular notch at the bottom of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • A circular white detail with blank outline is present halfway along the lower left (as worn) side of the front triangle.  This may be painted or applied as a decal.
  • The red painted inverted triangle at the rear likewise covers the entirety of the shoulders and the Shoulder Pauldrons.  However the lower sides differ from the front as they run from the lower edge of the Pauldrons down to the bottom centre of the Lower Chest Plate, not the Upper Chest Plate.  Note that much of this will be hidden by the Jetpack.
  • The Lower Chest Armour has symmetrical, twin semi-circular notches cut into the lower front edge.  The notches line up with the details featured in the Abdominal Armour.
  • The lower edge of the Lower Chest Armour curves down to the sides from a arched centre point at the front centre.  The rear edge therefore sits much lower than the front, and covers almost the entirety of the Abdominal Armour underneath.
  • The two layers of the Chest Armour may be joined in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.

Shoulder Straps.

• White painted hard armour "straps" sit on both shoulders connecting the front and back halves of the Upper Chest Armour.
  • The material and white paint of the straps should match those of the Chest Armour.

I'll jump ahead and fire out a draft of the related abdominal armour at the same time.  My main concern is the detail in yellow about whether we allow any recessing or embossing to mark details on the armour.  The references all seem to show no change in elevation, so I am not certain if we treat this as a stylisation of the animation and permit this, or whether we stay strictly faithful to the reference material and only allow paint and/or decals.  This is an important question, as it also pops up with the helmet and the circle on the Upper Chest Armour.  Whatever we decide on must be consistent across all three hard parts.

This is the image I found most useful for the Abdominal Armor:

imperial-super-commandos01.jpg

Abdominal Armour

• Made from the same hard material as the rest of the armour, and painted white to match all other relevant armour.
  • May be constructed in a clamshell front and back design, so long as the connection point is relatively seamless.
  • Is worn so that it is overlapped by the Lower Chest Armour above it.  The Lower Chest Armour curves down at the sides so that almost completely overlaps the Abdominal Armour at the rear.
  • Two symmetrical designs are present at the front, to match reference pictures.
    • The outer edges of each design must be aligned with the cut outs at the bottom edge of the Lower Chest Armour.
    • The inner details are rectangular, with a semi-circular top edge that sits just below the semi-circular cut outs on the Lower Chest Plate.
    • The inner details are split into three segments.  The top and bottom segments are equal in height, each being approximately three times the height of the middle segment.
    • These details may be painted or applied as decals.  Slightly recessed or embossed lines are also acceptable.
  • Thanks 1

@beren88, did you eventually include some slight embossing and recesses on your helmet model?  I'm thinking particularly for the details on the rear panels and the lines on the ear plates?   I liked how the final renders looked, so if you did include any recesses or embossing then I am happy for us also to include them on the other armour parts, at least for basic clearance.

5 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

@beren88, did you eventually include some slight embossing and recesses on your helmet model?  I'm thinking particularly for the details on the rear panels and the lines on the ear plates?   I liked how the final renders looked, so if you did include any recesses or embossing then I am happy for us also to include them on the other armour parts, at least for basic clearance.

i did have the embossing on the helmet around the eyes and forhead.

do you want matchign line details on the chest plates too?

Im off as of tomorrow for two weeks, so i cant get it fixed utnil im back, but i can add it if needed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, beren88 said:

i did have the embossing on the helmet around the eyes and forhead.

do you want matchign line details on the chest plates too?

Im off as of tomorrow for two weeks, so i cant get it fixed utnil im back, but i can add it if needed

Thanks and no, not necessarily. But if you've got some embossing or recesses worked in already then we can leave that optional. So for the helmet and armour there are always options of decals, paint, and/or embossing/recesses. Will clear up the language and apply it equally to each.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

Thanks and no, not necessarily. But if you've got some embossing or recesses worked in already then we can leave that optional. So for the helmet and armour there are always options of decals, paint, and/or embossing/recesses. Will clear up the language and apply it equally to each.

on the plus side, i was looking at teh official artwork, and it says that the gun shoudl attach to the thigh plate, i think i ahve an idea for the gun to do that. you guys cool with me working on the thighs and gun next?

• Like 2

Sure thing mate, work away. We'll be caught up to the thigh text pretty soon now. We'll see if there is any more input on the torso armour before we move on to the next section.

I'm looking at this and then looking at other detachment armor text for some inspiration, especially CTD and FISD with TCW and Rebels costumes and they are often listed as detail indents. We should require that, not painted or stickers, for basic as there is precedence for that and for LMO review. 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2024 at 6:44 PM, IcyTrooper said:

I'm looking at this and then looking at other detachment armor text for some inspiration, especially CTD and FISD with TCW and Rebels costumes and they are often listed as detail indents. We should require that, not painted or stickers, for basic as there is precedence for that and for LMO review. 

Okay perfect, thanks for that feedback Ryan.  We'll treat the "flat" reference images as a stylistic feature of the animation and use the "detail indents" across the helmet and armour features.  I'll go back over the text finalised to date and make those adjustments.

Text thread now updated with the WIP Chest Armour, Shoulder Pauldrons, Shoulder Straps and Abdominal Armour.

New "detail indent" wording has been swapped in and is in purple text to highlight changes.

Quick question to any Mando experts out there, is the jetpack identical to an existing Mandalorian jetpack, just with different markings?  Or is there enough different for it to be considered unique?

reb_ia_20186_6d0c079a.jpeg

On 2/13/2024 at 5:09 AM, tipperaryred said:

Quick question to any Mando experts out there, is the jetpack identical to an existing Mandalorian jetpack, just with different markings?  Or is there enough different for it to be considered unique?

reb_ia_20186_6d0c079a.jpeg

Do you happen to have any better images of it from the TCW Series? On first glance it appears to match TCW Cody...but I would want to take a closer look before ruling on it.

• Thanks 2
12 hours ago, ionicdesign said:

Do you happen to have any better images of it from the TCW Series? On first glance it appears to match CTW Cody...but I would want to take a closer look before ruling on it.

Yes, it's quite frustrating just how few views of the jetpack we have.  I might have to go back to basics and do a frame by frame on TCW to see if I can turn up anything better.  I'll post them into the reference gallery and put a notification up here if I do.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ionicdesign said:

Ok, sounds good. You could also try here:

https://starwarsscreencaps.com/category/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/

I'm glad you remembered that link because of the life of me I couldn't! :D 

I also agree that at first glance it does appear to be a Cody pack.