CRL Development - Imperial Army Sapper (Complete)

OK Everyone, MantiCon is done, The M21 Battle Armor "Rougarou" is complete, and Im ready to get back to work.

tonight I wrote a tutorial on how to convert the collar for the Imperial Army. It based on the existing Imperial Navy flight suit I have been converting for years, so its nothing new. Its posted, and if one of the Mods here would pin it that would be great.

I am currently waiting on my Imperial Army helmet. Ive had some messages from Walt regarding it, and Im starting to scratch my head since I have yet to receive it months after I ordered it.

But---Onward! We need input on this costume to make it happen. I will be working on my backpack in the coming weeks as well. I have to sort out the demolotion charges and shapes of the boxes. The pouches should present no problems.

• Like 1

Everyone

last night i spent ninety minutes heavily re writing the CRL backpack and charges description, but Im not able to edit my initial post with the proposed CRL. In an hour Im driving to my first troop in my Engineer, and Ill be gone until tommorrow night.

I want to get this done right so my intent is to get to it when I return. It was a rewrite of the text , so part of the CRL proposal would be all new, not something I can peck out on my phone at the con.

The charges come in several types---one has a large dumbbell end. Seems to me the size and shape of the Lloyds BBQ container is a starting point. Ill fiberglass one after I fix the flat spots on the side and see how that goes.

Another type is the string of "smoke grenades" on the back I took my M18 and added a laundry freshener cap...thats the idea anyway.

7lLdmCu.jpg

• Like 1

pushing on while my wife is in the shower. I will fiberglass this when I get home to get the shape, then perfect it. It should weigh literally nothing on top of the pack. VfBPWKC.jpg

• Like 1

Im posting this here so I can transpose it to the front page. Please check the first page for all revisions in case I cant remove this post later! First post will always have the most up to date information.

*************MEGASNIPPAGE******************

• Like 1

Im posting this here so I can transpose it to the front page. Please check the first page for all revisions in case I cant remove this post later! First post will always have the most up to date information.

Black Imperial Army Jumpsuit

For 501st approval:

· One piece black coverall with a front invisible zipper and mandarin collar.

· Each shoulder has a patch that sits 3-4" below shoulder seam

· 2 large chest pockets.

· 2 large cargo pockets sit on the outside of the legs from around mid-thigh and not extending past the bottom of the knee, with a rectangular flap covering the top of the pocket.

· Rank bars of any kind are not permitted.

· There are no pockets on sleeves or the font of the coverall leg.

For level two certification (if applicable)

· Mandarin collar is closed by a chevron shaped strap across the neck

· A single black snap is present near the chevron point. Snap does not need to be functional.

· Cargo pockets billow out to appear full.

Imperial Army Patch

For 501st approval:

· Patch is shield shaped

· The patch has an Imperial cog symbol approximately 2.75 to 3 inches in diameter.

· The background of the patch has a more narrow shield shaped design on top of a box colored a darker shade of green.

· An olive green tab patch is allowed between the shield patch and the shoulder seam.

For level two certification (if applicable):

Black Gloves

For 501st approval:

· Black, leather or leather-like, enclosed fingered, non-textured

· Does not extend past the wrist.

· No buckles or straps. 3 stitched lines on back of hand are allowed.

· For level two certification (if applicable):

· Square padding is present on back of hand.

Web Harness

For 501st approval:

· Black colored, double strap “H†harness which travels from the lower back, and up over the shoulders.

· The harness system attaches directly to the belt via snap hooks which may be visible.

· Harness is made of 2 inch black nylon webbing. Black triglides for adjustment are permitted on the front or back of the suspenders.

· Back of the suspenders may be permanently attached to the belt, but is not required.

For level two certification (if applicable)

· Harness fastens discreetly behind the belt

· Tri-glides are present on the front suspenders for harness adjustment

Belt

For 501st approval:

· Belt is a black 2"-2.25" wide nylon military style quick release web belt.

· Belt has grommets with eyelets along its length.

Belt Pouches

For 501st approval:

· Belt pouches are black and should be made of nylon or similar material.

· Two black belt pouches should be on either side of the belt buckle near where the harness meets the belt. MA47 double handcuff MOLLE PALS or other black nylon utility pouches are acceptable.

· MP40 pouches are seen worn on either hip. Black Canvas, Leather or feaux leather is acceptable.

· Any additional black MOLLE or similar style pouches are encouraged to fill out the belt.

· All pouches should be stuffed to appear full.

·

· Small belt pouches will make use of a visible single snap closure or appear to have such

· Large belt pouches will make use of visible double snap closures or appear to have such.

Chest Pouches

Black rectangular nylon chest pouches are worn between the backpack shoulder straps. 1“ to 1.5†Black nylon webbing mounts these to the shoulder straps. Either one large or two medium size pouches are seen in the source art.

Two medium-sized (approx. 3†x 5†with snap closures) chest pouches are seen on some troopers.

One large pouch (approximately 8â€x5†with no visible closures) chest pouch is seen on other troopers when demolition charges are present.

With minor modification black MOLLE pouches ,First Aid pouches, SAW gunner pouches, gas mask pouches etc. are permitted for the chest pockets. No visible buckles or pull cords are permitted. Pouches will be stuffed to appear full.

Boots

For 501st approval:

· Calf high black leather or leather like material.

· “Jackboot†style

· Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles on the instep or any other embellishments.

· Normal leather grain/texture/lines are acceptable.

· Tread on the soles and heels is acceptable

· Boots may have a single adjustment strap at the top outside of the boot, with the buckle no wider than 1". This need not be functional.

· Jackboot buckles should not be shiny and may be painted dingy grey or gun metal

· Hobnails may be present on the front of the jackboots.

· Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed.

5]o If the zipper is not covered by vinyl/ leather, it is painted black.

· Boots are made of leather

· Boots match source art reference.

Backpack

The Combat Engineer Backpack is used to carry the fundamental tools of the Combat Engineer to

successfully plant their explosives or breaching charges.

The pack frame is black in color and is made from PVC or aluminum. It is similar in size and proportion to the Heavy Weapons Trooper backpack. The frame has 2†black nylon shoulder straps with rectangular black pads made from nylon, heavy cotton or leather. Four black rectangular boxes matching the size and shape of the source art are mounted to the back of the frame and match the angle of the pack frame. The vintage LC2 US Military pack frame or the Boy Scouts of America pack frame is permitted but the straps must be black. No waist belt is present.

REQUIRED FOR APPROVAL:

Either of the two top mounted demolition charge and at least one other demolition charge must be present. Either the lightweight tubular handle shovel or the string of charges shall be mounted to the back of the boxes. The black rectangular pouch shall be fitted if the demolition charge is not mounted to the right side of the pack.

Five demolition charges types are seen in the source art. Color is overall grey, and all demolition charge colors will match. Primer grey is acceptable. All webbing or other means of strapping to hold charges to the backpack shall match the charge color as closely as possible.

1 One of the types of top demolition charge is roughly 4- 4 ½' diameter with slightly larger end caps and is no wider than the backpack boxes . The end caps feature 1†wide “coin slots†in both cap matching the diameter of the tube. Two mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge.

2 A second charge type seen on top of the backpack is roughly 3.5'- 3.75 in diameter and longer than the pack is wide The ends are beveled and feature a depressed area with a slightly raised lip, and features a 1†wide “coin slot†matching the diameter of the tube. Two mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge.

3 A third charge with flattened end caps slightly wider than the charge itself may be mounted to the right or left side of the pack. One Inch wide “coin slots†are present on the end caps.

4 A fourth type of demolition charge may be mounted to the bottom of the pack. It is almost as wide as the pack frame, and features rounded end caps with a flap spot / depression at the ends of the caps. A depressed circumferential ring feature is between the end cap and the body tube.

4 A fifth type of small demolition charges may be present horizontally along the bottom pack box and replaces the shovel. These four charges are roughly the size of a can of soda, with a 2â€-2 ½â€ band around middle. There is an indented ring approximately 3/8†below the top of the charge. The bottom of the charge is flat, the top is a dome with a raised disc at the top of the dome. It is permissible to use 2â€-2 ½ †heavy webbing closely matching the color of the charges for the band to hold the charges together in a group.

Shovel

A tubular frame handle shovel matching the source art may be mounted to the backpack. If the string of charges is mounted to the pack, the shovel is not mounted.

Right side pouch

A long black rectangular pouch made of leather or nylon may be mounted to the right side of the pack, replacing the demolition charge described above. The pouch is as long as the backpack boxes are tall and features a single snap closing the flap.

Thanks a lot for all the work and effort!!!

Surely a nice and feasible update for someone who has the engineer :)

Will you do the size of the parts of the backpack?

Thank you and yes I will do my best. I am working from Matt Nelsons plans that he posted elsewhere.

Its my hope that Crookknight takes on these packs, but there MUST be demand for him to do them.

Once I get underway with my pack, Ill post a separate WIP.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I have corrected the CRL , cleaned up extra characters from the server migration, and checked it in both tablet and phone modes.  This SHOULD appear "clean"
  on your devices. 

I am also getting things in place for this . I already have a design set for the pack but that will come after the helmet and soft parts . The only major hang up i currently face is the Patches .

The patches are an ongoing issue and I dont know what the outcome of that will be.   

Im looking forward to your build. I have sent WTF several messages about the helmet I ordered back in February.  

Just finished the suspenders and figured out how to mount the chest pouch , excuse the OD pouch the black one has been ordered and on its way . I made a removable cross strap that has a slot for the MOLLE strap to slide into .

I’ve got all the pouches on order or modified. Should be getting an Army Helmet shell within the next few weeks to start on the helmet . Also I’ve been looking over the panels again and I think Chelsea Boots most closely match the design from the comic . 

On 7/10/2018 at 9:23 PM, Blackwatch said:

The patches are an ongoing issue and I dont know what the outcome of that will be.   

Im looking forward to your build. I have sent WTF several messages about the helmet I ordered back in February.  

I just got a message from wtf saying do not order from the website  even though I did a week ago we may not ever see these or it may be a real long time  so I need another source 

• 2 weeks later...

Im back in the forum, and looking things over. 

Neal you are on track with the harness and pouch. I dont know that I agree with the chelseas after being around TKs and TXs for ten years, the commuter boots look much closer. When the day comes that I can find my coveralls in this construction mess Ill get a pic of the commuters with the coveralls.  

There's no pull loops on the chest pouch but thatll come right off with a sharp knife.  The snaps are perfectly located. 

Roy the patches certainly are an issue.  I dont know what the final outcome will be on that. 

EDIT

I looked back at the source images and i can see where the artist drew the TX chelseas differently than our engineer boots. 

there are a couple of good images of the TK shoe vs the boot, int he same frame, posted at the top of the topic. 

post-3-0-99000600-1526050180.jpg

Edited by Blackwatch
updated with photos of chelsea and engineer boot
  • Like 1

Just Submitted for Army Engineer. Here is what I currently have . 

Field gear is arranged as it is in DH : E issue 36 . 

Boots are the Communter style . 

Coveralls reflect the design from the comic . Helmet should be here next week and will painted and assembled  immediately. WxnZTB7.jpgI3pRjy8.jpg 

• Like 1