CRL Development - Imperial Army Sapper (Complete)

Maybe I’m a little biased on the name cause I jumped the gun on getting decals for my bin . 

wJbTSVT.jpg

To be fair though I don’t think you could fit IMPERIAL ARMY COMBAT ENGINEER on an armor bin .

• Like 1

Yea I think Sapper makes more sense to me.  The gear for these guys is specifically intended to blow things up...and I do think confusion can occur between the 2 engineer names.  My 2 cents anyways.

• Like 1

Neal i like it!  So it seems we are in agreement.  Cool name, less confusion between the type. 

Actually other than the pack I carry all my Army gear in a parachute bag.  I hated my duffle in the Army, and snagged a para bag ad it held SO much more. 

Tomorrow night Im leaving for the weekend where I intend to spend both days in my Engineer. 

• Like 1

With the Husky bin I’ll have enough for my entire costume including my pack and my helmet . Plus I usually carry an extra costume and change of clothes .

So far I have everything completed minus the Pack . Helmet has been completed with the optional Hearing protection. Fieldgear is completed to match the style of pack I will have and then of course the Coveralls and such are done .  So if we’re all in agreement what is the next step ?

I have been at a convention all weekend and it absolutely sapped me. Absolutely no pun intended. The drive and the Heat and everything else and then going back to work today just took it out of me.  

If we have hit all of the points then I guess we are waiting for a pack to be completed so we can get submission photos.  

No. Its in the final stages of being molded.  Im working on my explosives, my backpack is done.

Have we settled on a  particular goggle? 

There has been no further comments in about a week, so I would like to propose this CRL with changes made.

Note that areas of the original proposal that were red strikthrough    have been removed.

Imperial Army Sapper

Required Costume Components

The following costume components are present and appear as described below. The basic costume uses most of the major components of the Imperial Army Engineer.

Helmet

For 501st approval:

• Open face helmet whose base consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
  • The helmet skirt is to be smooth all around with no indentations on the rear.
  • The helmet is black in color with a flat or satin finish.
  • A black trim covers the edge of the helmet skirt and forehead of the dome.
  • Black chin strap and chin cup
  • Screw caps are mounted to either side of the helmet per the source art above or below the goggle strap.

For level two certification (if applicable)

Circular hearing protection attached to the chinstrap mounting point on the Helmet skirt . External mounting screw  ( Holding Chinstrap and hearing Protection ) is  covered with black screw cap.

Black Imperial Army Jumpsuit

For 501st approval:

One piece black coverall with a front invisible zipper and mandarin collar.

• Each shoulder has a Imperial Army patch that sits 3-4" below shoulder seam
  • 2 large chest pockets.
  • 2 large cargo pockets sit on the outside of the legs from around mid-thigh and not extending past the bottom of the knee, with a rectangular flap covering the top of the pocket.
  • Rank bars of any kind are not permitted.
  • There are no pockets on sleeves or the font of the coverall leg.

• Mandarin collar is closed by a chevron shaped strap across the neck
  •  A single black snap is present near the chevron point. Snap does not need to be functional.
  • Cargo pockets billow out to appear full.

Imperial Army Patch

For 501st approval:

• Patch is shield shaped and is located between the elbow and the shoulder about midway.
  • The patch has an Imperial cog symbol approximately 2.75" - 3"  in diameter.
  • The background of the patch has a more narrow shield shaped design on top of a box colored a darker shade of green.
  • An olive green tab patch is permitted between the shield patch and the shoulder seam.

Black Gloves

For 501st approval:

• Black, leather or leather-like, enclosed fingered, non-textured
  • Does not extend past the wrist.
  • No buckles or straps. 3 stitched lines on back of hand are allowed.

For level two certification (if applicable):
  • Square padding is present on back of hand.

Web Harness

For 501st approval:

• Black colored, double strap "H" harness which travels from the lower back, and up over the shoulders.
  • The harness system attaches directly to the belt via snap hooks which may be visible.
  • Harness is made of 2" black nylon webbing. Black triglides for adjustment are permitted on the front or back of the suspenders.
  • The back of the suspenders may be permanently attached to the belt,  but is not required.

• Harness fastens discreetly behind the belt
  • Tri-glides are present on the front suspenders for harness adjustment

Web Belt 

For 501st approval:

• Belt is a black 2"-2.25" wide nylon military style quick release web belt.
  • Belt has grommets with eyelets along its length.

Belt Pouches

For 501st approval:

• Belt pouches are black and should be made of nylon or similar material.
  • Two black belt pouches should be on either side of the belt buckle near where the harness meets the belt. MA47 double handcuff MOLLE PALS or other black nylon utility pouches are acceptable.
  • MP40 pouches are seen worn on both hips. Black Canvas, Leather or faux leather is acceptable.
  • A large black pouch is mounted to the back of the belt.
  • A large side pouch, gas mask pouch, dump pouch etc may be mounted to the left side of the belt.
  • Additional black MOLLE or similar style pouches such as Molle Strobe pouches fill out the belt as seen in source art.

All pouches should be stuffed to appear full.

• Small belt pouches will make use of a visible single snap closure or appear to have such
  • Large belt pouches will make use of visible double snap closures or appear to have such.

Chest Pouches

For 501st Approval:

Black rectangular nylon chest pouches are worn between the backpack shoulder straps.  1" -1.5" black nylon webbing mounts these to the shoulder straps. Either one large or two medium size pouches are seen in the source art. With minor modification black MOLLE pouches , First Aid pouches, SAW gunner pouches, gas mask pouches etc. are permitted for the chest pockets. No visible buckles or pull cords are permitted. Pouches will be stuffed to appear full.

• Two medium-sized (approx. 3"x 5" with snap closures) chest pouches are seen on some troopers. They  do not have to be symmetrical.
  • One large pouch (approximately 8" x 5" with no visible closures) chest pouch is seen on on other troopers. 

Boots

For 501st approval:

• Boots match source art references , I.E. "Commuter" style boot 
  • Free of laces, decorative stitching, buckles or any other embellishments.
  • Normal leather grain/texture/lines are acceptable.
  • Tread on the soles and heels is acceptable
  • Zippers on the inside of the boot are acceptable, so long as they are concealed. If not covered by leather or vinyl, zippers are painted black.

Backpack

The Combat Engineer Backpack is used to carry the fundamental tools of the Combat Engineer to successfully plant their explosives or breaching charges.

For 501st Approval:

The backpack is overall matte black or satin black in color. It may be moderately weathered per the source art. Plastic or fiberglass may be used to form the pack and boxes. The backpack is formed with a bend as seen in source art.  Four beveled boxes are mounted to the backpack with hidden fasteners.  

The pack has 2"  black shoulder straps with black pads made from nylon, heavy cotton or leather mounted to the pack.  2" slide adjusters may be mounted to the bottom of the straps.   No waist belt is present. 

Two top boxes are slightly beveled as seen in the source art.  The bottom boxes are longer rectangular boxes, and are beveled  at the same angle.  The bottom boxes roof is slanted so the top edge of the box is taller than the bottom of the box. 

The demolition charge seen in the source art  are mounted in different locations.

Two different types may be mounted to the top of the boxes. The charge mounted to the sides may be mounted to the left or right of the pack. A different charge is mounted to the bottom of the pack. 

All demolition charges and mounting straps are painted matching grey. Primer grey is acceptable. Webbing or other means of representing the mounting straps will closely match the charge color. 

No color "warning" stripes or LEDs are permitted on the charges or pack.

Shovel

An entrenching shovel matching the source art may be mounted vertically to the back of the pack .

Right side pouch

A long black rectangular pouch may be mounted to the right side of the pack.  The pouch is as long as the backpack boxes are tall and features a single snap closing the flap. Pouch will be stuffed to appear loaded. 

Explosive Charges 

TYPE A  This demolition charge  is roughly 4"- 4 ½" diameter with slightly larger end caps and is as wide as the backpack boxes. Both end caps feature 1" wide "coin slots" matching the diameter of the tube. Two grey mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge.

TYPE B  This is the second charge type seen on top of the backpack.  It is roughly 3.5"- 3.75"  diameter and longer than the pack is  wide.   The beveled ends feature a depressed area with a slightly raised lip, and  have 1" wide "coin slots" matching the diameter of the tube. Two grey mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge.

TYPE C  This charge has flattened end caps slightly wider than the charge itself may be mounted to the right or left side of the pack. One Inch wide "Coin slots " are present on the end caps.

TYPE D  This demolition charge may be mounted to the bottom of the pack. It is almost as wide as the pack boxes and features rounded end caps with a flat spot / depression at the ends of the caps.  A depressed circumferential ring feature is between  the end cap and the body tube.

TYPE E . These small demolition charges may be present horizontally along the bottom pack boxes below the shovel if mounted. These four charges are roughly the size of a can of soda, with a 2"-2.5" band around middle. There is an indented ring approximately 3/8"  below the top of the charge. The bottom of the charge is flat, the top is a dome and features a raised disc at the top of the dome. It is  permissible to use 2"-2 ½"  webbing closely matching  the color of the charges for the band to hold the charges together in a group.

For Basic  Approval 

Basic four block backpack, with either TYPE A or TYPE B explosive Charge mounted on top of the boxes. 

Choose 1 of these options:  Shovel  OR  Right side Charge OR Type E Charge string.  

• Backpack shoulder straps should appear to be 2-part adjustable consisting of webbing with a chevron shaped top strap.   A 1" "adjustment" strap passes over the shoulder , then goes into a hole in the strap, passes underneath the 2" strap  and then exits the strap just above the chevron point . The 1" strap shall have a nylon "keeper" mounted  below the point of the chevron.  The adjustments need not be functional but should match source art. 

• Level 2 Pack Option 1 
  • Basic backpack outlined above, plus Type D charge and shovel

• Level 2 Pack  Option 2
  • Basic backpack outlined above, plus type B and C explosive charges. 

OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES

post-3-0-15114900-1525894637_thumb.jpeg E-11 Blaster

Manufactured by BlasTech Industries, the E-11 is standard-issue for many Imperial troops. Light, compact yet powerful, the E-11 blaster is always in high demand throughout the galaxy.

• Based on a real or replica Sterling sub-machine gun, scratch-built, or a modified commercial toy Stormtrooper blaster.

I think that was an oops. I moved a few things around and intended to make that an L2 requirement that you had suggested a few pages back.  

Whew...that pack section is a doozy. I want to read through it a few more times w/ fresh eyes to make sure it makes sense.  I would suggest we all do that.

you aint kidding.  it was tough to write and tough to read.  I even rewrote parts of it.  

PLEASE RE READ it and make sure I did not bolo it. 

On 10/19/2018 at 11:58 PM, TX-15293 said:

With the Sapper tab do we want to have it listed as Optional 

Im confused.   What do you mean by this?

@Blackwatch read it through.  Seems good.  This is what I'm thinking on all of that pack combo stuff.  It's super complex lol.  I think we are right on the combos and descriptions.  That said, I think we may need to do separate non-CRL photo models of each type of combo (esp for the L2) as a resource for troopers here on our forums to see (similar to what MEPD does w/ their sandy arrangements).  That would be more on our end (assuming the LMOs are ok w/ our presentation of the pack arrangements).

• Like 1

Just looked over all the panels of and found a possible additional option:

level 2 Option 3 

basic pack , Charge type A ( I’m assuming it’s the short , fat charge mounted on the side ) Charge type B and Type E and side pouch .

Also shouldn’t Lvl 2 Op.1 include the side pouch . 

Yeah, its a lot, lets break it down.  This post will relate just to the tab as seen in the source art.  Originally in the Engineer discussion, the proposal was for a unit motto or "sapper".

This says SAPPER.  There are two panels with a scribble in the tab yhat would simulate text; the one posted below and the panel where the sappers are digging.  The rest of the tabs are there in the art, but you cannot tell if there is anything there.  You would have to come to the conclusion that since they were drawn by the artist that they were intended to say something, as a skill tab does. 

Original topic discussion for your reading pleasure, going back to the end of January. 

XXEeem1.jpg

PgGdYAu.gif

In this second post, Ill turn attention to the explosives.  

uSNKcEC.jpg 

TYPE B charge on top of pack ,Type D charge on bottom. 

kpDAP1p.jpg 

TYPE A on top of the left TYPE B  on top of the right.  Type E charges seen on right pack.

xOvzr9b.jpgTwo type A charges. 

this part is kind of dislocated, but mentions that two types of charges can be mounted to the top.  A or B.  There will always, in all circumstances, be a charge on top. 

Two different types may be mounted to the top of the boxes. The charge mounted to the sides may be mounted to the left or right of the pack. A different charge is mounted to the bottom of the pack. 

All demolition charges and mounting straps are painted matching grey. Primer grey is acceptable. Webbing or other means of representing the mounting straps will closely match the charge color. 

No color "warning" stripes or LEDs are permitted on the charges or pack.

here is the proposal, so you can compare to the items posted above:

Explosive Charges 

TYPE A  This demolition charge is mounted to the top of the pack, and is roughly 4"- 4 ½" diameter with slightly larger end caps and is as wide as the backpack boxes.   Both end caps feature 1" wide "coin slots" matching the diameter of the tube. Two grey mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge. 

TYPE B  This is the second charge type seen on top of the backpack.  It is roughly 3.5"- 3.75"  diameter and longer than the pack is  wide.   The beveled ends feature a depressed area with a slightly raised lip, and  have 1" wide "coin slots" matching the diameter of the tube. Two grey mounting straps made of textile, plastic or other material are present on this charge.

TYPE C  This charge has flattened end caps slightly wider than the charge itself may be mounted  to the right or left side of the pack. One Inch wide "Coin slots " are present on the end caps.

TYPE D  This demolition charge may be mounted to the bottom of the pack. It is almost as wide as the pack boxes and features rounded end caps with a flat spot / depression at the ends of the caps.  

TYPE E . These small demolition charges may be present horizontally along the bottom pack boxes below the shovel if mounted. These four charges are roughly the size of a can of soda, with a 2"-2.5" band around middle. There is an indented ring approximately 3/8"  below the top of the charge. The bottom of the charge is flat, the top is a dome and features a raised disc at the top of the dome. It is  permissible to use 2"-2 ½"  webbing closely matching  the color of the charges for the band to hold the charges together in a group.

For Basic  Approval 

Basic four block backpack, with either TYPE A or TYPE B explosive Charge mounted on top of the boxes. 

Choose 1 of these options:  Shovel  OR  Right side Charge OR Type E Charge string.  

• Backpack shoulder straps should appear to be 2-part adjustable consisting of webbing with a chevron shaped top strap.   A 1" "adjustment" strap passes over the shoulder , then goes into a hole in the strap, passes underneath the 2" strap  and then exits the strap just above the chevron point . The 1" strap shall have a nylon "keeper" mounted  below the point of the chevron.  The adjustments need not be functional but should match source art. 

• Level 2 Pack Option 1 
  • Basic backpack outlined above with Type B, type D explosive charges, long pouch on right side of pack and shovel. 

• Level 2 Pack  Option 2
  • Basic backpack outlined above with Type A on top, Type C on the left side, long pouch on the right side and  type E on the back of the pack. 

Neal I looked over the panels again, I may be missing one you are seeing.  The other panels are either partial from the front or side, so we really cant see whats on the pack. 

As they are climbing into the canyon viewed from behind I see (Leader) Type A  Type C (left) Pouch (right) and type E . no shovel on this one hes probably got it in his hands.  The follower is set up with a Type B and D top and bottom with a pouch on the right and shovel. Ive added the proposed parts in green above. 

The basic loadout requirment is for the pack, the A or B top charge, and either a shovel, E charge or C charge on the side. 

In one panel I see a B / E / Shovel, and   A / shovel.  The rest in that panel is conjecture.