CRL Development - Imperial Army Sapper (Complete)

Let’s tackle the tab first since it’s relatively simple . So if the tab is included in the CRL do we want to require the word Sapper is embroidered in  Aurebesh ? 

My wife downloaded the true type font on her home embroidery program and created a tab shape in the program. She spaced out each letter and then rotated each letter to match the curve of the tab. It took a little while to set it up and it took a little doing to get it to embroider correctly. Considering we did this on a home machine it should be doable on a commercial process.  She used Sew-art and Sew what pro64 on her computer, and a Singer Futura home embroidery machine. 

Most of the tabs have no text but each of the sappers has a tab present.  Doing a quick Google search show me a bunch of places that can customize a olive drab tab. The question comes down to level 1 for a blank tab, and level 2 for a tab with Aurbesh Sapper text.  I tried writing it on with a sharpie and it looked like carp. 

I would like to get the LMOs  input for English SAPPER for L1. 

Laying out the  Aurbesh text for embroidering:Ojnwpms.jpg

here you can see the individual character being turned to fit into the tab she laid out. 

FBsklh8.jpg

finished product off the table, and ready to trim to size. In the end we made quite a few of these on olive fabric from Joanns. 

9d0xieI.jpg

I propose the following: 

Imperial Army Patch

For 501st approval:

• Patch is shield shaped and is located between the elbow and the shoulder about midway.
  • The patch has an Imperial cog symbol approximately 2.75" - 3"  in diameter.
  • The background of the patch has a more narrow shield shaped design on top of a box colored a darker shade of green.
  • An olive green tab patch is permitted between the shield patch and the shoulder seam.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• the word SAPPER appears in Aurbesh on the patch

I think it should be an optional item but if the person chooses to have the tab that it must be in Aurebesh.

Also the patches are awesome , your wife did an amazing job . You mentioned you made a few of them , would they perhaps be for sale ? 

Tab.  I would concur...no English text.  Strictly Aurebesh as that's what we can see.  Does it actually say Sapper?

Not to open a can of worms...but that patch shape doesn't seem to match the shield currently being used for IATs.  It's more "arrowhead" in appearance to me.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, Raider said:

Tab.  I would concur...no English text.  Strictly Aurebesh as that's what we can see.  Does it actually say Sapper?

Not to open a can of worms...but that patch shape doesn't seem to match the shield currently being used for IATs.  It's more "arrowhead" in appearance to me.

The "arrow head" shape occasionally seen usually lines up with the folds in the arms of the jumpsuit. Most likely it means the the design is printed so it would look warped as the cloth moved.

As far as the upper rocker tab goes. It's not seen on all of the units, so it should be an optional component. Most likely it's a rank or specialty indicator.

• Like 1

Back from another LONG and BUSY weekend!

Good find!!!  The stupid patch on the back of my gloves that I put on for the engineer has come off each time I wear them. The gloves recommended in the original topic that Tarrif created in January recommended a nice mens dress glove. But the pleather is so smooth nothing wants to stick to it, and Im forever messing with my gloves and gluing the square pad back on.  I was considering getting new gloves, masking them off and hitting them with five or six coats of truck bed spray on liner to make the square pad. 

to be honest, what Neal has here looks better than what Im currently wearing, at nine troops in plus a dozen odd times test fitting. So...twenty times worn and Im already looking at replacing my gloves since they dont look that great after use.  While the rectangular pad on the back of Neals glove is not perfectly square or rectangular, I think an argument can be made that it meets the intent of the glove with the L2 padding. The V notch can be sealed up with Barge cement from the backside and a slab of leather or marine vinyl. The cuff on my coveralls keeps my glove opening pretty well covered.   

On the Sapper specialty tabs, they are not like the patches we think of from Moritz.- her machine cant do the merrowing and heat sealing.  They come as a slab as an embroidered slab of fabric. I cut around them 3/8", tucked them under after making a bunch of pie cuts, and glued the tabs down with Beacon adhesive, then stitched them on.  Under the four foot rule its hard to tell they are not a manufactured patch.   

@Raider  yes it says Sapper.  We downloaded the TT font and installed it in my wifes computer.  We can make it say just about anything by adjusting the size of the tab. I used my old 101st Airborne tab for the measurement. 

@TX-15293  send me your address and I can mail you a slab of Tabs out.  That way if your pack comes in and you are ready to go, you will have the L2 proposal to show the LMO. 

Regarding the size and shape of the IA patch, I agree that it is artists concept.  Same thing we see in all the other comics, where artists are under pressure to complete a panel and get as much detail in as quickly as they can. Additionally we are going to see Engineers upgrade to this, using LMO approved patches from the first run.  

Im having a heck of a time staying online tonight. 

Krysis found Uvex Ultra Vision goggles with black frames and shade 5 green lenses.  They need a strap change but otherwise look very similar to the artwork. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=uvex+ultravision&_sop=7

These are mine and required painting. 

Basically the only thing I’m missing for L2 is the pack and that might be done by late November Early December. It’d be nice to get it wrapped up by the end of 2018 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk