New CRL Development - Mud Trooper

izzi

OK....so I have revisited this section COMPLETELY! Ignore my previous post.

I have incorporated elements of Andrew's feedback and added to the following...

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned just above the rim.

The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is in the same color as the helmet.

The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

A rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear centre of the helmet.

Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered. Disks DO NOT feature grooves or a notch.

The helmet has a polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or bike helmet. 

The helmet is to be painted in olive green to match the armour. The helmet paint finish may be textured, and is moderately weathered.

When worn without the respirator, a black chin cup with tan webbing strap must be visible.

Tan webbing should be lightly weathered.

Goggles

Goggles shall have an aged chrome frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.

Goggles have dark angled lenses featuring two flat panels per lens.

Goggle Strap features two sizes of elastic - 38mm and 50mm.

The goggle strap features a number of buckles:

•    Serrated slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 38mm elastic is threaded.

•    A large buckle greeblie on the lefthand side through which the 50mm elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige or red painted square.

•    Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 50mm elastic is threaded.

Respirator

The respirator is large enough to cover the wearers’ lower face, and

is wide enough to extend to either side of helmet.

The respirator has a ‘mouth’ which features a curved bottom, short curved vertical sides and arched top.

The mouth is painted matte black.

The mouth features seven vertical cut-outs in the top center. The three center lines shall be equal length and run from the top of the mouth to the middle. The next two lines on either side step down in size incrementally.

Metallic hexagonal mesh is visible through the cut-outs.

Two rubber breathing hoses, approx. 30mm outer dimension, connect either side of the vertical cut-outs. The hose extends over each shoulder and connects to the top of the backplate.

The respirator features two rounded tusks that extend either side of the mouth.  

The end of each tusk features a filter. The filter consists of a raised center ring and three branches connecting the ring to the outside of the filter. In the center of each filter is a Hex socket cap screw. 

Filters are aged chrome in color, with outside edges slanted inward. 

Metallic hexagonal mesh is visible through between the branches of the filter.

The respirator shall be painted olive green and moderately weathered.

Above each tusk is a gun metal coloured buckle through which 3/4in (19mm) tan webbing straps are fed. Each strap connects to a metal snap hook. These hooks are used to connect the respirator to the neck strap.

The neck strap consists of a length of 3/4in (19mm) tan webbing with metal D-Rings sewn in to place.

The respirator can be worn to cover the face, or suspended around the neck of the wearer.

A few things...

HELMET

For the helmet I made mention of the elastic bungee loop that can be seen on the hero helmet featured in the Topps cards and Visual Dictionary. No other helmet I have seen features this so far.

I believe the TU to be a cast part but am trying to seek further information on it. As it stands, it is a little hard to describe. The only part I'm sure on is a Hex nut in the top LH corner. There are a couple of VERY close 3D models being sold right now. I think it will be important to feature a truly representative image in the CRL.

Given we have an image of a trooper with an M300A flashlight below there TU do we include this as an OPTION in this main description, or at the end of the CRL?

GOGGLES

I've made mention of the beige and red square on the greebie buckle. The red square is for Han ONLY so not sure whether this should be included in the main description, or as an OPTION at the end of the CRL.

RESPIRATOR

Do we add a Lvl 2 option here that covers the specific found parts, namely the buckles used for the respirator and neck strap?

That's all my thinking for now. My brain is drained. Here's hoping that, in the main, you like what you read above.

I feel that we should add the Han Only parts as optional accessories parts, though we could also just make a completely new CRL for him only since he would be considered to be a character. What are all of your thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Scubacat said:

I feel that we should add the Han Only parts as optional accessories parts, though we could also just make a completely new CRL for him only since he would be considered to be a character. What are all of your thoughts on that?

I think Han only OPTIONS would make sense. At the end of the day there aren't that many variations in is kit...unless, of course, we count his lack of knee plates as canon ?

Lol technically we could. Lol. That and we could come up with a MUDDY Han version. Lol

That was going to be my next point raised...would option for Han include Imperial Han/Prisoner Han, or will that be a separate CRL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
8 hours ago, JAFO said:

That was going to be my next point raised...would option for Han include Imperial Han/Prisoner Han, or will that be a separate CRL?

Overall this kit seems unique in the number of options/accoutrements it involves, like we would need a footer to the CRL that lists the various configurations possible, and/or a list of the bits that can be combined, e.g. the bandolier, the lower belt, the shoulder-slung grenade, red goggle buckle accent, etc.

Seems like Han could just be listed under these configurations/options instead of a separate CRL, e.g. chestplate, main belt, and jacket only with shoulder cog emblems. All the base elements are the same so a separate CRL seems like more work than needed.

• Like 1
Overall this kit seems unique in the number of options/accoutrements it involves, like we would need a footer to the CRL that lists the various configurations possible, and/or a list of the bits that can be combined, e.g. the bandolier, the lower belt, the shoulder-slung grenade, red goggle buckle accent, etc.
Seems like Han could just be listed under these configurations/options instead of a separate CRL, e.g. chestplate, main belt, and jacket only with shoulder cog emblems. All the base elements are the same so a separate CRL seems like more work than needed.

Agreed.

Given Han is seen wearing the bandolier, mag pouch, both belts and grenades that could be considered the ultimate configuration with any variation of components acceptable.

It may come down to it that Han has his own, but its probably better off to create the footnote for now.  If needed another version using the same text would be fairly rapid to create, but duplicate.  

• Like 1

My son was admitted into the hospital a few days ago after he almost stopped breathing from a complication of his bone marrow transplant a year ago so until now I have only had a few minutes to glance at the discussions the past few days until tonight.   I'm back in a flight or fight mental state ready for a phone call from my wife and I'm back at the hospital but going over all this has helped me take my mind off things for a while. 

Darren's last post of the helmet and goggles looks pretty complete.  Nothing I would really add.  I'm good with it and ready to move to the next section. 

I do think having specific buckles isn't needed for a level 1.  The buckles and clips should look similar though in material and basic shape.  There is going to come a time here soon where those Yugoslavian bags are going to become hard to come by.  The same is true of the hex mesh inside the mask.  There should be mesh, but I think using square mesh would be fine for level one since its not really visible from a few feet away. 

Here are my thoughts on how the variations should be handled.  The CRL should be for a basic trooper.  Get this part done and complete.  This should be what people should have to pass muster for approval.   Then we add in option of what gear can be added, taken off, or colored differently at the end.  The variations of how all this basic gear gets worn is part of what I think makes the Mud Troopers cool and different from the rest of the Empires characters but I kind of feel everyone should have full gear and not missing a left shin etc.  If your on a troop and you want to leave off the helmet and cloak and say your Han, great.  But if your with fellow Mud Trooper,  you've got the basic gear.

• Like 2
On 10/4/2018 at 12:28 AM, JAFO said:

I used ‘curved’ as this is how the Halcyon Jet lenses were described online. The MT are, of course, based heavily on these.

Perhaps we say “angled lenses featuring two flat panels”

These look like what they used for inspiration, which are Halcyon WWII RAF goggles.  They used flat glass in them because if was cheaper and easier to make at that time.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/halcyanGoggles.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_-Ahb_u3QIV1FuGCh1jJQWuEAQYBSABEgLYl_D_BwE

These look like what they used for inspiration, which are Halcyon WWII RAF goggles.  They used flat glass in them because if was cheaper and easier to make at that time.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/halcyanGoggles.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs_-Ahb_u3QIV1FuGCh1jJQWuEAQYBSABEgLYl_D_BwE

They actually used the MK9 as inspiration, hence the bridge tensioner [emoji6]

37433df51d8ae48517fad18fafc1e469.png

Anyway, moot point, I adjusted the description and hope it sits well with you.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2018 at 8:22 AM, Scubacat said:

To my knowledge, FO Finn has not been allowed in the 501st though it has been presented, as he is a "good guy" ultimately.  Likewise, we don't see CRLs for Stormtrooper Luke or Han.  If that's the precedent, I don't think Mudtrooper Han will be any different.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, amcclary said:

The CRL should be for a basic trooper.  Get this part done and complete.  This should be what people should have to pass muster for approval.   Then we add in option of what gear can be added, taken off, or colored differently at the end.  The variations of how all this basic gear gets worn is part of what I think makes the Mud Troopers cool and different from the rest of the Empires characters but I kind of feel everyone should have full gear and not missing a left shin etc.  If your on a troop and you want to leave off the helmet and cloak and say your Han, great.  But if your with fellow Mud Trooper,  you've got the basic gear.

This sounds like a good approach - we decide on a minimal baseline standard trooper kit, and the rest is options. 

10 hours ago, amcclary said:

I do think having specific buckles isn't needed for a level 1.  The buckles and clips should look similar though in material and basic shape.  There is going to come a time here soon where those Yugoslavian bags are going to become hard to come by.  The same is true of the hex mesh inside the mask.  There should be mesh, but I think using square mesh would be fine for level one since its not really visible from a few feet away. 

Here are my thoughts on how the variations should be handled.  The CRL should be for a basic trooper.  Get this part done and complete.  This should be what people should have to pass muster for approval.   Then we add in option of what gear can be added, taken off, or colored differently at the end.  The variations of how all this basic gear gets worn is part of what I think makes the Mud Troopers cool and different from the rest of the Empires characters but I kind of feel everyone should have full gear and not missing a left shin etc.  If your on a troop and you want to leave off the helmet and cloak and say your Han, great.  But if your with fellow Mud Trooper,  you've got the basic gear.

I agree Andrew.  Level 1 needs to have the look...specifiying exact parts/vendors will paint the CRL into a corner (that's why we don't use the exact base boot for scouts for example anymore...can't really find em).  The optional items seem to be so diverse.  I agree, we can lock in the basics and knock out added extras later...maybe even options after we've launched the CRL base.  I will take a look through all of the edits tomorrow morning and see if we can finish up this weekend so we can shift to the final review.

Also going to get @Scubacat and @izzi extra eyes in on everything to give everything a fresh look at what we've come up with before we send it through.

• Like 3

Some questions/feedback below.  I really feel like I'm overlooking something going through these parts for some reason and have already reached out to Izzi and Torri.  That could of course just be my mind playing tricks on me lol.  See in yellow.

Helmet

An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned just above the rim.

The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is in the same color as the helmet.

The telemetry unit may feature a tied length of elastic bungee cord, approx. 4-5mm in diameter, looped around the outer upper section.

A rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear centre of the helmet.

Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered. Disks DO NOT feature grooves or a notch.

The helmet has a polystyrene inner liner consistent with that of a skate or bike helmet. 

The helmet is to be painted in olive green to match the armour. The helmet paint finish may be textured, and is moderately weathered.

When worn without the respirator, a black chin cup with tan webbing strap must be visible.

Goggles

Goggles shall have an aged chrome frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

•    Serrated slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 38mm elastic is threaded. (I'm getting posts mixed up in my head now...but this is the one where only Han has the red square you referred to?)

•    A large buckle greeblie on the lefthand side through which the 50mm elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige or red painted square.

•    Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 50mm elastic is threaded.

Respirator

The respirator is large enough to cover the wearers’ lower face, and is wide enough to extend to either side of helmet.

The respirator has a ‘mouth’ which features a curved bottom, short curved vertical sides and arched top.

The mouth features seven vertical cut-outs in the top center. The three center lines shall be equal length and run from the top of the mouth to the middle. The next two lines on either side step down in size incrementally.

Metallic hexagonal mesh is visible through the cut-outs (see below regarding hexagonal mesh).

Two rubber breathing hoses, approx. 30mm outer dimension, connect either side of the vertical cut-outs. The hose extends over each shoulder and connects to the top of the backplate at the hose connectors (add this?).

The end of each tusk features a filter. The filter consists of a raised center ring and three branches connecting the ring to the outside of the filter. In the center of each filter is a Hex socket cap screw. 

Metallic hexagonal (Andrew suggested removing the hexagonal...I feel like I agree w/ that...but open to thoughts.  Hexagonal could make an L2 requirement possibly fo rgreater accuracy) mesh is visible through between the branches of the filter.

Above each tusk is a gun metal coloured buckle through which 3/4in (19mm) tan webbing straps are fed. Each strap connects to a metal snap hook. These hooks are used to connect the respirator to the neck strap.

The neck strap consists of a length of 3/4in (19mm) tan webbing with metal D-Rings sewn in to place.

The respirator can be worn to cover the face, or suspended around the neck of the wearer.

The serrated buckles feature on the standard helmet. Here’s one of the reference pics...

ecb10e23ed657121f0987e75c7ceb19e.png

Hex mesh is clearly what is used on screen assets, is cheap and readily available, but I’m happy with whatever is decided.

And, yes, to adding the wording RE: hose connectors.

Regarding the red square, as this is unique to Han do we remove from the general text?

I’m guessing we will leave the M300A torch as an optional extra.

Apologies, I use hex mesh as a generic term for this kind of grill.

Let’s keep it simple and just refer to “metallic mesh that is similar in appearance to reference photo”

• Like 1

@JAFO Anything that is specific to Han only will need to be removed.  So I will take out "red square."  Yes, the torch would be an optional.  How are we looking here?

Helmet

A rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear center of the helmet.

The helmet is to be painted in olive green to match the armor. The helmet paint finish may be textured, and is moderately weathered.

Optional: TORCH TBA

Goggles

Goggles shall have an aged chrome frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

•    Serrated slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 38mm elastic is threaded.

•    A large buckle greeblie on the lefthand side through which the 50mm elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige square.

•    Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 50mm elastic is threaded.

Respirator

The respirator is large enough to cover the wearers’ lower face, and is wide enough to extend to either side of helmet.

Metallic mesh similar to reference photo is visible through the cut-outs.

Two rubber breathing hoses, approx. 30mm outer dimension, connect either side of the vertical cut-outs. The hose extends over each shoulder and connects to the hose connectors located at the top of the back plate.

Metallic mesh similar to reference photo is visible through between the branches of the filter.

Above each tusk is a gun metal colored buckle through which 3/4in (19mm) tan webbing straps are fed. Each strap connects to a metal snap hook. These hooks are used to connect the respirator to the neck strap.

• Like 1

A minor point - maybe make the helmet liner material a level 2 item. It’s not a visible item, so doesn’t affect appearance. Having it optional at level 1 would allow people to use an easier method of lining the helmet similar to other helmets, like soft foam, instead of trying to fit/modify an off the shelf EPS liner. Also I’d bet that any custom liners would have actually been made of urethane foam which is what most prop shops use, so specifically listing polystyrene may be too restrictive - perhaps just “rigid foam liner similar to bike or skate helmet”.