New CRL Development - Mud Trooper

izzi

To clarify the process here (as it was discussed above), we are going through section by section.  I am pulling the proposal of each section to the end part of the thread to discuss...when that area has a) sufficient input or b) sufficient time, I am moving what is settled on to the pinned proposal thread at the top of the Imperial Army section in the forums for a final review later.

I am trying to allow AT MINIMUM a week (7 days) for people to chime in.  For example..today marks the 7th day of the biceps and shoulders.  Ok...hope that clears up any confusion.  I do want to reiterate the general stance of Izzi, myself, and the CRL team...that while we want to complete the CRL in a timely manner, our priority is getting it right.  We are making a concerted effort to avoid having to going back and making major adjustments to the CRL (as happened with the previous Imperial Army CRL).

Sooooooo....with that said, I'm not set on the discussion regarding color.  Here is what I believe we have offered up on that...I've highlighted what still doesn't seem settled.  I am in agreement with @amcclary (I think) that specifying paint brands and pantones may be too limiting (which I believe Izzi may have mentioned earlier as well).  I have it in for now, but this will be something we address again in the final review when I can get some more input from @izzi and Torri @Scubacat

Shoulder Bells

Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.

The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.

Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor

Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.

Shoulders are painted matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

Biceps

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with a added strip layer on top.

Left bicep is matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

Right bicep armor is painted red with three yellow squares on the cover strip, with moderate weathering.

Biceps shall have moderate weathering.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Right Bicep Red color is Toyota Red 3E5.

Yellow color is Montana Gold Shock Yellow.

Final comments on these parts welcome before I move them over to the proposal tomorrow.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Raider said:

To clarify the process here (as it was discussed above), we are going through section by section.  I am pulling the proposal of each section to the end part of the thread to discuss...when that area has a) sufficient input or b) sufficient time, I am moving what is settled on to the pinned proposal thread at the top of the Imperial Army section in the forums for a final review later.

I am trying to allow AT MINIMUM a week (7 days) for people to chime in.  For example..today marks the 7th day of the biceps and shoulders.  Ok...hope that clears up any confusion.  I do want to reiterate the general stance of Izzi, myself, and the CRL team...that while we want to complete the CRL in a timely manner, our priority is getting it right.  We are making a concerted effort to avoid having to going back and making major adjustments to the CRL (as happened with the previous Imperial Army CRL).

Sooooooo....with that said, I'm not set on the discussion regarding color.  Here is what I believe we have offered up on that...I've highlighted what still doesn't seem settled.  I am in agreement with @amcclary (I think) that specifying paint brands and pantones may be too limiting (which I believe Izzi may have mentioned earlier as well).  I have it in for now, but this will be something we address again in the final review when I can get some more input from @izzi and Torri @Scubacat

Shoulder Bells

Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor

Shoulders are painted matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

Biceps

Left bicep is matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

Right bicep armor is painted red with three yellow squares on the cover strip, with moderate weathering.

Final comments on these parts welcome before I move them over to the proposal tomorrow.

100% agree. As stated previously we should not specify a brand. That’s not practical. However offering (not specifying) reference to a Pantone is useful.

In regards to timing I’ve always supported “do it right, not fast”. With the digital release of Solo only a week away it will allow us ti capture any new finds.

• Like 2

"Shoulders are painted matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering. "

Should be  "Shoulders are painted matte olive green   (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering. "

Olive Grey is actually a different color altogether.  Its the color of the jacket, not the shoulder bells.  The Pantone color is olive green.

Referencing the Pantone color though as something to be similiar to though is good.  In the print and design industry Pantone references are almost always used in brand bibles.

21 hours ago, amcclary said:

"Shoulders are painted matte green olive grey (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering. "

Should be  "Shoulders are painted matte olive green   (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering. "

Olive Grey is actually a different color altogether.  Its the color of the jacket, not the shoulder bells.  The Pantone color is olive green.

Referencing the Pantone color though as something to be similiar to though is good.  In the print and design industry Pantone references are almost always used in brand bibles.

Understood.  How are we looking here then (keeping in mind we will revisit the color wording again in final review)?

Shoulder Bells

Shoulders are painted matte olive green (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

Biceps

Left bicep is matte olive green (similar to Pantone 350u) with moderate weathering.

And with that...let's move to the chest/back...here is what was initially presented (currently no L2 requirements):

Chest Plate

Chest Armor matches visual references.
Accurate shape/design to front of chest.
There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.
Buckles attached to upper chest plate.
Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
To the lower Left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area with a greeblie installed to match reference picture
Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.
On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.
Chest and straps shall be painted olive grey and be moderately weathered.
back plate and tubes.

Back Plate

Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.
Chest and back plate meet at the sides.
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.
The walls and floor the recesses shall be olive grey.
Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside to match Rogue One backplates.
Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out shall be black and the walls inside match the olive grey color of the armor.
Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.
Shoulder straps are olive grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
Back plate is olive grey with moderate weathering.

"Chest Armor matches visual references and extends downward to the top of the stomach at about the height of the bend in the elbo. "
(This is a shorter version of the snowy armor basic shape and doesn't extend as far downward.  There are dimensions out there for the snowy, but these don't apply here at all. )

"Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside to match Rogue One Shoretrooper backplates."

"There is a emergency air supply  box on the back that has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside."

"Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present."- Is there any evidence that this half circle is in this armor?  We don't have any actual film shots of the back that isn't covered by the cloak, but this half circle is not present in the big figure toy.  It is present in the big fig toy I have of a Death trooper so I would assume that the toy makers would have put it in if it were there.    

We know there are two holes at the top of the back box where the breathing tubes go into.  We don't know how these are actually connected though. 

• Like 1

Here is my input to consider for the wording. Evidence is based on imagery of the rear of production used kits.

The MT backplate is virtually the same to the one that has been approved for the Patrol Trooper but some of the detail is different as the box/greeblies match the Shoretrooper backplate. The 'half circle' detail is present.

There are two hose connectors that extend from the top of the backplate. Hoses are attached over these connectors.

There backplate features two black foam ‘wings’ ala the Shoretrooper.

The webbing for the respirator attaches to the top of the backplate. It appears to be secured by a black retainer/clip. 

There is a ‘drop down’ loop on the centre back of the backplate through which both belts are threaded.

• Like 1
On 9/3/2018 at 9:23 PM, Raider said:

Snippage:

We are making a concerted effort to avoid having to going back and making major adjustments to the CRL (as happened with the previous Imperial Army CRL).

More snippage

Shoulder Bells

Biceps

hear hear!

Quality, not speed.  We want something that is as close to correct as possible to submit to the LMO. 

Also i agree with the majority of the  wording, but upon review, when you say detailing, does that only refer to painted details, or to the shape since they are supposed to be mirrors, but assymetrical? 

I may be off a shade but enough years in the military and mixing model paint tells me that paint colors change with exposure to the environment.  For sake of discussion this is olive green and olive grey. 

1DrlNRf.png

hBmyRty.jpg

• Like 1

@Blackwatch Yes disregard the color...I think I misread something somewhere and combined the coat/tunic color w/ the armor color.  I should have it straightened out on the proposal thread now.

Read the input thus far and will look it over tonight with the references.  If anyone has more to add, drop a word.

• Like 1

JAFA do you have any of those production stills that show the back that you can share? 

I particularly interested in the "drop down" loop you describe and specifically what the connections for the hoses look like.

So the webbing for the respirator attaches to the armor?

7 hours ago, amcclary said:

JAFA do you have any of those production stills that show the back that you can share? 

I particularly interested in the "drop down" loop you describe and specifically what the connections for the hoses look like.

So the webbing for the respirator attaches to the armor?

Sorry to digress from the CRL discussion for a moment.

I'm not in a position to share the image publicly at present. Hopefully in time.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the Jakks figure I have to admit they got some of the back detail right.

You'll see in this pic the dropdown. The material is not confirmed - leather or webbing - but both belts thread through this.

The ports/tubes for the hoses are no more complicated than what is shown on the Jakks figure. Two ports/tubes - same colour as the armour - that protrude from the top. The hoses fit over them. These ports/tubes would be approx. 22mm if you're using the correct hoses.

In this image I have marked a red square where a greeblie is affixed. It's this greeblie that holds the respirator neck strap in position.

close up

Yes, I can see definitely the dropdown on a picture from your gallery:

35643172_10214691602057021_1178599155564544000_o

But I think it`s only for the leater belt. On the other hand, in this scene, Solo wore only one belt.

100% I see the (?black?) foam on the backplate.

11 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Yes, I can see definitely the dropdown on a picture from your gallery:

35643172_10214691602057021_1178599155564544000_o

But I think it`s only for the leater belt. On the other hand, in this scene, Solo wore only one belt.

100% I see the (?black?) foam on the backplate.

Solo only wears one belt - the leather one. I promise you that both belts thread through.

I have uploaded a new folder of reference shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150772035@N08/albums/72157700908903094

There are a number of screen grabs which help confirm various aspects of the kit including the following:

- Confirmation of Imperial Cog patches on BOTH shoulders

- Hose connectors on backplate

- R1 belt boxes

The pics also raise a few questions, including the possibility that the 'square' on the LHS of the helmet goggle strap *may* be different colours for different ranks.

All TBC! 

I should add these pics are to support later review and NOT reopen discussion on elements already sent to the locked thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, amcclary said:

Darren,

I wasn't able to get into the ficker album with the link you posted.

I've edited the link. Try again and see what happens.

Ok so based on the new reference photos.

- There is an isosceles trapezoidal shaped piece of material that hangs down in a loop off of the back that the belt buckles go through.

Darren do you have any shots that can confirm the partial circle on the back?

Darren do you have any shots that can confirm the partial circle on the back?

Not that can be shared yet but the details are the same as a Shoretrooper back.

Hopefully we’ll have more info soon.

Thanks for all the additional pictures @JAFO.  Still focusing on the back at the moment...hose connectors confirmed.  Black foam wings confirmed.  Drop down belt loop confirmed...wouldn't say it's a trapezoid shape (probably the angle of the shot that makes it appear so).

The only thing I am not seeing in the reference pics is the greeblie at the top center of the pack.  Unless other images through the blu-ray or otherwise become available, we can't require details that can't be seen.  That being said, we can still proceed w/ Level 1 requirements on the chest/back as the parka will cover those.  We can make adjustments to the CRL if images become available a) as Level 2 adds or b) as Level 1 updates if the evidence is overwhelming.  Hope that makes sense.

So with that, it seems the majority of the debated items are confirmed.  Let's nail down wording for those and move on to the helmet/mask/hoses in the next few days.

P.S. With the blu-ray release in the near future we may be able to catch any updates in the final review process before the CRL goes live.

• Like 1

Having now seen the extras on the digital release of S:ASWS it’s safe to say we won’t have any new and improved info to work with.

We’ll just need to work with what we have and hope some new discoveries appear via other means.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Having now seen the extras on the digital release of S:ASWS it’s safe to say we won’t have any new and improved info to work with.

We’ll just need to work with what we have and hope some new discoveries appear via other means.

Well in that case, let's get a write up of the back/chest knocked out this weekend and move on to the last pieces.  I'm at work today, so if someone can modify the original text proposal w/ an update, I (we) can look it over tonight and tomorrow to get those pieces wrapped up.

• Like 1

My wordsmithing here may need some cleanup...the additional greeblie in the center of the backplate is currently not being proposed.  I left some ?s to address and possibly kick tot L2.  Let's get it!

Chest Plate

Chest Armor matches visual references.
Accurate shape/design to front of chest.
There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.
Buckles attached to upper chest plate.
Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
To the lower Left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area with a greeblie installed to match reference picture
Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.
On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.
Chest and straps shall be painted olive grey and be moderately weathered.
back plate and tubes.

Back Plate

Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.
Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

2 hose connectors (functional or no?) located at the top of the back plate, one off-centered to the left and one off-centered to the right.
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.
The walls and floor the recesses shall be olive grey.
Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside to match Rogue One backplates.
Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out shall be black and the walls inside match the olive grey color of the armor.
Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.
Shoulder straps are olive grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

Fabric (?) loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.
Back plate is olive grey with moderate weathering.