New CRL Development - Mud Trooper

izzi

My wordsmithing here may need some cleanup...the additional greeblie in the center of the backplate is currently not being proposed.  I left some ?s to address and possibly kick tot L2.  Let's get it!

Chest Plate
Chest Armor matches visual references.
Accurate shape/design to front of chest.
There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.
Buckles attached to upper chest plate.
Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
To the lower Left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area with a greeblie installed to match reference picture
Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.
On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.
Chest and straps shall be painted olive grey and be moderately weathered.
back plate and tubes.
Back Plate
Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.
Chest and back plate meet at the sides.
2 hose connectors (functional or no?) located at the top of the back plate, one off-centered to the left and one off-centered to the right.
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.
The walls and floor the recesses shall be olive grey.
Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside to match Rogue One backplates.
Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out shall be black and the walls inside match the olive grey color of the armor.
Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.
Shoulder straps are olive grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
Fabric (?) loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.
Back plate is olive grey with moderate weathering.

Thanks for drawing this up. Just a few comments...

When it comes to the recessed area on the chest it’s important the chosen kit/image is 100% correct. The recess has a definite slant inward and not all kits currently on sale have this, so are incorrect.

Hose connectors needn’t be functional. The 28mm hoses are simply stretched over the top of the connectors.

For the drop down belt loop i think we should describe as a “Fabric or Leather.” Visual characteristics from some screenshots suggest the latter but it can’t be 100% determined.

That’s all from me [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
9 hours ago, JAFO said:

Thanks for drawing this up. Just a few comments...

When it comes to the recessed area on the chest it’s important the chosen kit/image is 100% correct. The recess has a definite slant inward and not all kits currently on sale have this, so are incorrect.

Hose connectors needn’t be functional. The 28mm hoses are simply stretched over the top of the connectors.

For the drop down belt loop i think we should describe as a “Fabric or Leather.” Visual characteristics from some screenshots suggest the latter but it can’t be 100% determined.

That’s all from me emoji1303.png

Can we pull a hyper-closeup that would give us a better idea of material for the drop down?

I'm a visual guy...can you show me what you're referring to for the slant on the recessed chest area?

THANKS!

544f8ff9f00728da6826ad7929bf1953.png

You can see here how the recess is angled inward from top to bottom. A few available kits I have seen are flat with no slant/angle.

• Like 1

Regarding the belt loop there is no actual intel but in some shots the characteristics of the loop look as if it could be leather. See here...

99b9c6b6f9b7ab9c57bb3e442fc496d8.png

I think including leather as an option would be fair.

Here’s some wording to consider for the recess on the chest plate..

The lower left side of the center flat panel features a recessed area that is noticeably angled inward from bottom to top.

The recessed area includes two detailed pieces:

- a raised rectangle greeblie

- a recessed horizontal pill hole

By pill hole do you mean an oval shaped hole? I ask,which means somene else may mis interpret it.  

On the wording of the off centered hose connectors, being off centered to the left and right, the wording does not read well for me, but thats just me.

If they are equidistant from the center, would the following work: 

hose connectors are mounted to the back,  at equal distance from the middle of the pack

26 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

By pill hole do you mean an oval shaped hole? I ask,which means somene else may mis interpret it.  

On the wording of the off centered hose connectors, being off centered to the left and right, the wording does not read well for me, but thats just me.

If they are equidistant from the center, would the following work: 

hose connectors are mounted to the back,  at equal distance from the middle of the pack

Yea…I'm ok w/ having my wording corrected for sure.  A brother ain't too proud lol.

But seriously…I like that wording better than my original…marinate on it and see if it can be more clear even still.

2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

That sounds better to me, alternatively could also say places symmetrically about the center, but that's six of one, half a dozen on the other really.

Another alternate wording could be "Approximately centered above each rectangular cutout/greeblie" - they appear to be centered above each half, or in other words at 25% and 75%, or centered in each half

And potentially level 2 items could be:

The hose fittings are angled forward, and approximately the same size as the hoses

I took a couple screen grabs to show that and the centering:

rk2e4Ua.jpgNSvYh2J.jpggS5HC8b.jpg

• Like 1

I use pill hole as a descriptor as we use it to describe parts of the FOTK armour. That has pull holes on the chest, leg, etc.

If confusing we could consider ‘elongated oval’.

I’m good with the slant. We’ve already changed our molds to reflect that.  This shape though may be a big problem for vacuum formed kits   With the slant there is a bad catch point behind the square. So they are either going to have the slant or a bad angle on the back of the square.  We had to go to silicon instead of stronger fiberglass molds.

Though I visually get the “pill shape” reference, I think this should be described better.  There are lots of pill shapes.  In CAD programs this shape is called a slot.  For those not into CAD, a rectangle with rounded ends   

The lower loop looks like it could be leather. Do we have any information on its color?   I’ve combed through the movie and the only shots are covered in mud.  

Taking in all of your feedback, here are the edits in yellow w/ an option for level 2 added in blue.  The wording of "pill" seems acceptable to me...but I put elongated oval in for now (though it seems unnecessarily wordy to me personally).  I did not use the term "slot"...the term seems to be more of a jargon term used in design by armorers as opposed to more common terminology used in other CRLs.  Hope everyone is ok w/ that.

Anyways...give it a look over...leave your feedback (and if none, saying that is also helpful so we know we can move on).  Thanks team!

Chest Plate

Chest Armor matches visual references.
Accurate shape/design to front of chest.
There is an indented area around the outer edge of the center flat section.
Buckles attached to upper chest plate.
Shoulder straps are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.
To the lower left side of the center flat panel is a recessed area angled inward from top to bottom with a raised rectangle greeblie and a recessed horizontal elongated oval.
Left of the recessed area is a raised square that extends from the center to the curved side of the armor.
On the top left side of the raised area is a raised oblong detail that protrudes outwards.
Chest and straps shall be painted olive grey and be moderately weathered.
back plate and tubes.

Back Plate

Back Plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate.
Chest and back plate meet at the sides.

2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cutout/greeblie.
Back has two large cut out recesses with vent details and greeblies inside.
The walls and floor the recesses shall be olive grey.
Each recess has different and specific set of boxes inside to match Rogue One backplates.
Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. The floor of the cut out shall be black and the walls inside match the olive grey color of the armor.
Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.
There is a long thin raised greeblie positioned central and below the 2 large recess.
There is a small raised circle greeblie positioned central and below the above named greeblie.
There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into.
Shoulder straps are olive grey with moderate weathering and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

Black fabric or leather loop drop down from the bottom of the back plate through which belts must pass through.
Back plate is olive grey with moderate weathering.

Optional:

The hose fittings are angled forward, and approximately the same size as the hoses.

• Like 1

I thought the colors were already defined. 

the term pill bugs me. "Elongated oval,  depressed/ raised oblong" both seem more descriptive since half the meds I take are round pills. its a minor term change.  

Color changes noted @amcclary.  Updated and moved into the proposal thread.

We will review everything...with color being a primary focus...soon once we finish these last pieces.  On to the helmet/goggles.mask/hoses.  Here is the original proposed text we need to review:

Helmet

Open face helmet whose base consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
The helmet skirt is to be smooth all around with no indentations on the rear.
A telemetry unit is attached centered to the right sides of the dome aligned to the rim.
The telemetry unit consists of:
Rectangular box with a slight bevel and details on. The box is in the same color as the helmet.
1 screw cap or cylindrical knob in the upper left corner.
2 cylindrical pins lined up in the lower left corner of the box.
1 cylindrical pin in the upper right corner of the box.
1 telemetry unit main detail (Revell V8 carburetor) aligned at the lower right corner of the box.
[*]A rubber trim is covering the edge of the helmet skirt and forehead of the dome.

[*]Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.

[*]The helmet is to be painted in olive grey. Helmet is moderately weathered.

[*]When worn without the mask, a black chin cup with tan strap must be visible.

Goggles

Goggles shall have an aged metallic frame with detail painting to match reference and black lenses.
Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.
Goggle Strap is black elastic, with large buckle greeblie on left side, two “figure 8� slides on right rear.

Mask

Mask is respirator style mask, wide enough to extend to either side of helmet.
Mask has an indent at mouth. Indent shall have a long flat bottom, short vertical sides and diagonal tops. All corners shall be rounded.
Indent has 7 vertical cut outs in the center. The three center lines shall be equal length and go from top of indent to the middle. The next two lines on either side step down incrementally.
Hoses connect to the bottom corners of the indent.
Mask shall have two rounded “cheeks� to which filters attach.
Mask shall be painted olive grey and moderately weathered.
Mask shall have two 3/4� straps that run from upper outside corners and run through a 3/4� compression slide buckle that sits on the corner between the area under the eyes and the mouth cover.
Filters are aged metallic in color, with outside edges slanted inward. A raised center ring and three branches connecting the ring to the outside of the filter.

Hoses

Black Ribbed Rubber Hoses with approximately 22mm diameter on each end and enough length to attach from top of back armor to mask, leaving enough slack to match reference pictures

This may have been asked

But does anyone know in which detachment the Muddy Officer CRL will be landing?

Has been discussion on the IOC, but the final location of that CRL seems to still be a mystery.

I’m working on a Lieutenant Borlandin Kit, and would try to help on a CRL if it isn’t already in progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting this section. Currently travelling and haven’t had a chance to review in detail.

A comprehensive section and certainly plenty needs addressing. Certainly not sure about the TU description for starters.

• Like 1

Kevin thats a good question, and welcome to the forums. 

Thats often the case when there are officer variants of a uniform--who gets it.  We have Lt Sunber here in our Army forums after developing the CRL.  

@Raider  one of the first things we need to do is clean up the text and remove the extra characters from the forum move.  

With the color, we need to make sure that the helmet & mask color match the other part descriptions. 

• Like 1

9b4c67a887b482b6e07b3a400aa8d4c5.jpg

Was about to start reviewing this section of the CRL tonight but got sidetracked watching the 4K version of SASWS. Just as well...looks like we have an option for the helmet - a torch!

OK...I haven't had a chance to get to the RESPIRATOR section yet but wanted to share my thoughts on the other two sections to keep things moving.

Big thing with the following is that the telemetry unit is completely different to anything we've seen before. Nothing like the AT-ST. I'm working on getting some better information.

For now, here you go...

Helmet

Open face helmet whose base consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.

A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned just above the rim.

The telemetry unit has a rubber gasket seal around the outer upper section.

The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.

The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The box is in the same color as the helmet.

A rubber trim covers the edge of the helmet rim with the join made at the rear centre of the helmet.

Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt. These may be weathered. Disks DO NOT feature grooves or a notch.

The helmet is to be painted in olive green to match the armour. The helmet paint finish may be textured, and is moderately weathered.

When worn without the respirator, a black chin cup with tan strap must be visible.

Goggles

Goggles shall have an aged metallic frame with detail painting, and weathering to match reference. The knurled nose bridge adjuster is brass in appearance.

Goggles shall have a trim around metallic frame. Trim shall be rubber or foam.

Goggles have dark curved lenses.

Goggle Strap features two sizes of elastic - 38mm and 50mm.

The goggle strap features a number of buckles:

•    Serrated slide buckles on each side of the goggles through which the 38mm elastic is threaded.

•    A large buckle greeblie on the lefthand side through which the 50mm elastic is threaded. This greeblie features a beige or red painted square.

•    Two black plastic tri-glides on the right rear through which the 50mm elastic is threaded.

• Like 1
Helmet

add

Helmet has a styrofoam inner lining consistent with a basic skate or bike helmet.  

Goggles

lens is not curved, it’s made up of four flat lenses

I think polystyrene or EPS is a better fit than styrofoam. The latter is an often misused generic term.

I used ‘curved’ as this is how the Halcyon Jet lenses were described online. The MT are, of course, based heavily on these.

Perhaps we say “angled lenses featuring two flat panels”