WEG Cannon Seatrooper Build

Hey guys, need another opinion. This time on the belt.

Belt.jpg

In the above images I've compared the belt of the seatrooper to the belt of the scout. It seems the wedge shapes either side of the center triangle are missing. Can anyone back me up on this? I currently have a 3 part belt, so it would be easy for me to do this modification. Also, I think those side pouches are custom, a mobile phone case of that style should do it yeah?

Ok, got some progress pics to show tonight. I 'finished' my custom chest plate and the belt buckle today. I'm not 100% happy with how the chest turned out, but I think if I end up using fiberglass and bondo, I should be able to fine tune it a little. The belt isn't complete as I need to finish the dropboxes and make some custom pouches, I think based on the ref pics I'll need 5-6 pouches that aren't too much bigger than the webbing, going all the way around the belt. The snap connector sits under the belt buckle instead of where the thermal det usually goes on a TB. This allows the pouches to go around the back. I'm going to custom make the pouches when I'm making the cummerbund I think, unless anyone has a better idea.

My next stop is the art store to get some more card. But then I think I'll rebuild the back plate as well, my head is small enough to fit through the gap between the shoulder straps if I set it up right, might just make back and front one solid piece. Well here's the pics from today, hope to get some more progress done soon. Let me know what you think and any criticisms. I need to know if the belt buckle looks right. Thanks.

th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays6.jpg th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays8.jpg th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays4.jpg th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays7.jpg

th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays9.jpg th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays3.jpg th_5-08-2010ConstructionDays2.jpg

Still not happy with the way that belt buckle sits, the webbing pulls too far back from it (damn me and my skinny frame!). Do you think it would be acceptable, or should I try and do something about it. I had thought about putting press studs just on the edge of the webbing where it goes into the buckle, but then I don't know how to attach these if I'm going to fiberglass later or if they'll even fit under the belt buckle (the plastic clip buckle I'm using takes up most of the space behind the cardboard buckle. Any suggestions?

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from there. I knew I bought 1 inch white webbing for a reason. The only issue with that is that if I down size it by much, hiding the plastic clip on the 2 inch webbing will be difficult. Here's a photo of the back of the buckle with the plastic clip in place. Might be able to cut 1cm from each size (sorry about mixing the measurements) and yeah now that I'm looking at 1 inch webbing for the drop boxes, the size should shrink quite a bit. I'll re-do the buckle if I get some time tonight and post new pics either tonight or tomorrow. Cutting the excess off though will make hiding the clip difficult because from the way my mind is looking at it, I can only put the clip behind the buckle on the belt. Think I need either a different clip style or another way of thinking about hiding it. Will have to keep thinking. Thanks Izzi, saved me from a big mistake.

th_BeltBack.jpg

Cheers guys. Oh, I have plans for my approval shots. ;) Just gotta get it built first.

Hey, you know I can't believe I havn't thought of this yet, but is it just me, or if I reinforced the crotch strap of the cummerbund, or just added the detail to the crotch strap that it would suffice for the pelvis armor? Or should I build the pelvis armor and have it attach to the cummerbund at the waist?

Try hiding the clip behind a pouch in the back or to the side, instead of behind the front buckle. Also, you can make some pelvis armor and attach it to the cummerbund but I think it's important that it "looks" like there's armor there.

-iz

Wow! Big update for today :D!!!

Work has commenced on the awesomest part of the costume, THE BUCKET!!! I went around to a mates today for a bit of a sculpting tute, apparently I'm pretty good for a first timer. Here's what I came up with (with a little help from my friend).

th_Seatroopers2.jpg th_BucketSculptingDay18.jpg th_BucketSculptingDay14.jpg th_BucketSculptingDay118.jpg

It still has a bit of work to be done on it, but not bad for the first day. I've also got my belt buckle (see above post) sitting in a plaster mold, ready to have a fiberglass copy produced. Just ran out of time today. Decided that I will probably do all my custom cardboard pieces as molds and vacform/fiberglass copy them to produce a stronger and more polished final piece. Let me know what you think of it, going to keep plugging away at it when I get time to go back to his workshop.

Thanks guys. No promises, but yeah that is the plan, would be good to get more than one seatrooper out there. I'll let you know once I've gotten approval for the costume, would kinda suck if it didn't get 501st approval and I'd already put a bunch of kits out. Also depends if my mate has the finances to do a run, I'll ask him about it next time I'm working on the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

Lookie at what the Postman brought me today :rolleyes:

th_Fins4.jpg th_Fins5.jpg th_Fins2.jpg

They're the closest fins to the reference that I could find. I couldn't get the shape of my custom one right. I'm going to have to cut the heel strap off and paint them white of course. What are people's thoughts? The only concern that I have is that they are potentially too short. But it they were any longer they won't sit right. If you take the length of the trooper's shin in the ref pics and compare it to the length of the blade, there isn't alot of difference between the length. The blade on these fins is only a little shorter than the length of my shin.

th_Fins.jpg

The great thing is your attention to detail. You being the first, I think you just need to get it made, then worry about the small mods. I wouldn't have noticed those minor things until you just pointed them out. But, I'm also not working on this. I'm sure there's a few liberty's you can take. I dunno that the length of the fins is going to be a big issue. Just my .02, can't wait to see more. :)

Awesome, thanks mate. Yeah I can see your point, I guess I'm just a little OCD on the details. I found another pair of fins that matches a little more closely and are probably the correct length, but they were $80US, then add shipping and conversion (which isn't too bad atm) I couldn't afford them at the moment. But might be a worthy upgrade later on. I can't wait to see this one finished either, it's taking a while, but really the only hard armor parts left to fabricate are the pelvis and shins.

Okie dokies, here are some WIP pics of my speargun/blaster. Compared to the rest of the armor I'm building, this was surprisingly easy. Took me a full evening to work out the measurements, and another evening changing them after I drew them out on the card. The only bit left for me to do is the muzzle (bit where the trooper has his front hand in the ref pics), the card dosn't want to behave when I bend it to get that slight curve around the corners. I also have to put a 'trigger' in, but that won't be too hard at all.

How I got it this far, I basically built a rectangular box out of the card, then built the two handles separately and taped them on. I then did a skin for each side with the grooves cut in. I then drilled some holes along the top for the dowel to run down the length of the gun. Once the muzzle is finished I'll cut the dowel just short of protruding out the other end of the muzzle and put a magnet so the spear tip can be put in for official shots and removed for the majority of troops. I also have a PVC pipe connector I'm going to cut in half and nail/screw/rivet to the other end of the dowel for the stock.

Not sure how it will turn out post-resin. I want it to be waterproof ;) so if anyone has any better suggestions that would be great :). (Pen in first pic is for scale). As always criticism is requested, there are a few small details that I am unsure of, but changing the size to match throws things a little out of proportion.

th_BlasterBuilding.jpg th_BlasterBuilding3.jpg th_BlasterBuilding4.jpg th_BlasterBuilding5.jpg