Imperial Flametrooper (Jedi Fallen Order)

Hey there ! 

I'm not dead, the project either ;)

Just i have not a lot of time between my house's makeover, classes to change my career and my fulltime job ^^"

But here is some close ups of where I am 

I started assembling the backpack and I made some fitting tests of the harness and it should be easier to wear than what I thought first ^^

received_226480570257938.jpeg

received_278409251216105.jpeg

• Like 3

Guys, I need your eyes and objectivity. 
Here are some close ups of my backpack and my helmet. 
Aaaaand now that I look closely, I can see some defects as the print lines and prints defects raising (the print I received was not a good one and I spent a looooot of time trying to get it in shape). 
The fact is, I'm part of the French GML team and all the 3d parts we receive for approval need to be smooth. 
So, I'm affraid my parts won't pass the process especially because we can not base a new CRL over something not clean. 

I'm pretty sure the flamethrower will do fine (will check it later) and the helmet too as the defects we can see will be covered by the weathering process (unless you tell me otherwise of course, I really want you to be extremely honest please). But my main doubt is about the backpack. 
So my questions are : 
- do the lid and backpack need a cleaning ? 
If yes : 
- do you think it is better to reprint entirely the backpack core (I have some parts I can split to treat them appart if needed) or do I "simply" need to try to fill the defects ? 

Thank you so much in advance. I really want it to be cool and great and enjoyable for both the public and me and as the first and a GML, I cannot fail it :D

Cheers ! 

IMG_20231103_174206.jpg

IMG_20231103_174134.jpg

IMG_20231103_174111.jpg

IMG_20231103_174010.jpg

IMG_20231103_174006.jpg

IMG_20231103_173952.jpg

IMG_20231103_173942.jpg

IMG_20231103_173914.jpg

IMG_20231103_173845.jpg

• Like 1

I think the helmet is pretty good except for that brow part may need a few lines taken out. The backpack is pretty good too. The only thing I can see on there are the circular black green parts, back tank greeblies/panels and a little work on the pieces as they are joined up.

• Like 1

Yea I def see em in the pack. Not as noticeable in the helmet but yea I suppose can still see some.

My thought…if youre not fully happy with it…just bite the bullet and fix it. That’s my take after going thru the process on Cav (which youre familiar with)…theres some things I want to go back n do better (like the entire paint job) which is going to be a pain.

Long story short…work it till you’re absolutely happy with it and no longer second guessing IMO.

• Like 2

Thank you guys :)

Well, i really thought it was worst than what you seem to say. 

But yes, i think i'll try to have it smoother and smoother. I already talk to a friend whom can make me a better base for the backpack if needed. So if I'm not happy with what I 'm able to do, I can ask him ^^

Hopefully I can at least clean the helmet this week. 

@Raider, I feel you bro. I'm starting to plan working back on my old Navy Commando to make it better. 

it never ends I guess 😅

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, after a lot of research and thinking, I'm planning to do the cowl all over again :
- remove the canva I put earlier
- sand the cheeks shapes

- add some vinyl material (same as a snowtrooper but not glossy, I hope I can find it) above the mouth area and cut the top vents after
- glue it above the cheeks too
- use the same technic as the snowtrooper (ie one vinyl sheet on the front and one on the back)*

* @IcyTrooper I now the cowl on the ref material is in one piece but I think this is a matter of animation/rendering as I really don't see how to manage it without at least a seam. What do you think ? 

• Like 1

I was looking at that ans was thinking, you could probably cut that canvas to go over those details and glue them/smooth them out over that part? That would make it appear as one piece? Not sure if I did a good job explaining that?

I like to think of it like you would when using a vinyl wrap or shrink wrap and heating it to adhere to the details of whatever surface it is being applied to.

• Like 1

That is what I'm gonna do : cut the canva over the main shapes and glue it. Then heat it a bit to mold it over the secondary shapes end cut the holes at the end. 

I can't use an adhesive heatable vinyl to stretch and form as it will be too thin and way too glossy.

The best way is to use a thin leather/leatherlike canva (thic enough to get the shapes and thicness we see on the refs and thin enough to mold the lines on the mouth.

My next concern is about the fact that the cowl is meant to be in one piece around the helmet. I'm pretty sure this is not possible considering the material I have to use. So I'm thinking about making it two pieces as a snowtrooper. But what about the CRL and the approval then ? 😕

Or, I can put it around the helmet but it will have a seam on the back where I'll glue the 2 sides of the canva. Not sure if it is possible to make that seam desapear or how to do it 😕

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I have recently come across a rubber CA glue that I have used and found out that it can be flattened. You might be able to push the edge of each piece of the cowl together and back it with either a thin strip of extra cowl material and use something to hold them together while the glue dries, then use a rubber like paint to cover up the seam. It might take time and a few tires on scrap pieces to get the exact look, but it might work out for you. I hope that this helps out. Keep up the amazing work! ❤️ This kit is on my long list of ones I want to make myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hello there !
A lot of things occured in the past weeks so no updates. 
But I can show you my tiny little progress.
I have an event at the end of april in France and I really want to bring my flamethere so hopefully I'll be able to finish it at that time.

Aucune description disponible.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...