Imperial Flametrooper (Jedi Fallen Order)

Hey Stevechewbacca, This trooper is available in the battle grid in the game. Endless captures can be taken of the in-game model for reference. I’ve found that artwork produced for the game often doesn’t accurately represent the real in-game model (I just went through the exercise with my Purge Trooper). If you can’t grab shots, let me know and I can capture a bunch of angles from the game. This is a cool trooper! Good job on brining it to life!

• Like 3
20 hours ago, stevechewbacca said:

Hi guys ! 
Quick question here :P

As I have almost finished sanding the helmet, I'll soon assemble it. 
The question is for the cowl. Last version was made with fabric but it is hard to cut without getting some fraying and threads. Would some heated vinyl sticker (like automotive ones or for kitchen customisation) do the job ? 
It will be opaque and with a heatgun or hairdryer, it can go to the impossible flametrooper's mouth's shape. But I'm affraid about the loose area and how it will react and stay 🤔

What are your thougths please ? 
(it is possible that I go to the store today for the paint so if this solution is correct I'll by some vinyl too)

Cheers !

Wish I could help here man but I got nothin.

6 hours ago, TK 21814 said:

Hey Stevechewbacca, This trooper is available in the battle grid in the game. Endless captures can be taken of the in-game model for reference. I’ve found that artwork produced for the game often doesn’t accurately represent the real in-game model (I just went through the exercise with my Purge Trooper). If you can’t grab shots, let me know and I can capture a bunch of angles from the game. This is a cool trooper! Good job on brining it to life!

Thank you sir :)
I did it and provided the pics in the references' topic.
I think I have all the ref I need for now, thanks. It is just the cowl part that is giving me some troubles ^^"
But I'll figure it out.

2 hours ago, RAIDER said:

Wish I could help here man but I got nothin.

No problem :)

On 3/29/2023 at 3:42 PM, stevechewbacca said:

Hi guys ! 
Quick question here :P

As I have almost finished sanding the helmet, I'll soon assemble it. 
The question is for the cowl. Last version was made with fabric but it is hard to cut without getting some fraying and threads. Would some heated vinyl sticker (like automotive ones or for kitchen customisation) do the job ? 
It will be opaque and with a heatgun or hairdryer, it can go to the impossible flametrooper's mouth's shape. But I'm affraid about the loose area and how it will react and stay 🤔

What are your thougths please ? 
(it is possible that I go to the store today for the paint so if this solution is correct I'll by some vinyl too)

Cheers !

Some kind of vinyl would work, but you may need to experiment a little with thickness. Stick-on would be great because it would allow you to apply little by little so you can mold it to the front of the helmet. Using some heat would defiantly help. The issue with adhesive backed vinyl is that you only need to apply it to the area you’re sticking it to. 

Glue means you’re only applying adhesive to the area you need but you may have to find one with a slower curing time to allow you to mold the vinyl into place. You might be able to use Foss adhesive (or similar) It’s used in leather and is very strong but allows some time before curing. 

I feel like if you made a negative of the part you’re molding to, might help to mold and clamp the vinyl into place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, stevechewbacca said:

Thanks for the tips.

My gf have leather glue and knows how to deal with this so i'll definitely ask her help ^^

The Idea of a negative piece is great. I know what to do after work tonight :P

Awesome. Just remember to allow for tolerance when making the negative (fancy way of saying allow for the thickness of the material that will be sandwiched between the two)

• Thanks 1

Haha yes, I'm thinking about it since I read your post during my way to the office 😛
I made that mistake for a piece of the flamethrower.
The mouth is way more complicated so I'll have to be very concentrate and careful when making the negative.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

You got this bro! Even mistakes are progress because it means we are learning. I can’t wait to see more! It looks awesome and I think I will be building one of these in the future myself. ❤️

• Like 2

Hello there !

Little question here. I put the vinyl material on the mouth part. I did it the same way I did my last version but now i'm seeing that it is not accurate at all. 

But i really don't know how to make something correct. 

I thought i can re model it with a little recessed area on the bottom to glue the vinyl and paint the upper part. Hoping i can hide correctly the seam during the painting process. 

What do you think ? 

Here are the pics 

IMG_20230423_190636_copy_2000x1500.jpg

2.PNG

Hmmm, I'm thinking about the vinyl that is shinier but what does it do when you heat it up? I'm not sure if that stuff can be backed with glue and then heated to press it into the plastic grooving? That is a good question thought because I hadn't thought about that detailed part.

I wonder if we were to make the part above the red line a greeblie and then use the vinyl to make it seamless at the red spot where it will meet the greeblie?:

2.6b9dd4741c49b97d40f9dde2441c5b.thumb.jpg.2d5a9d3c57d496c5dfd21f8f87afb054.jpg

5 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Hmmm, I'm thinking about the vinyl that is shinier but what does it do when you heat it up? I'm not sure if that stuff can be backed with glue and then heated to press it into the plastic grooving? That is a good question thought because I hadn't thought about that detailed part.

I wonder if we were to make the part above the red line a greeblie and then use the vinyl to make it seamless at the red spot where it will meet the greeblie?:

2.6b9dd4741c49b97d40f9dde2441c5b.thumb.jpg.2d5a9d3c57d496c5dfd21f8f87afb054.jpg

In fact I use the canva part of the vinyl on the outer side so it is not shiny and looks like the flightsuit.
This way, the overall look is consistent :)

I'll give it a try and re model the entire mouth part for it.
Well, it's definitely over to get a version for friday :D but at least it should be more accurate when done. 

• Like 1

Hi there !

Just came back from a star wars event and back to business 😛

The mouth piece is re printed and mastic was put on both pieces. 

I hope i can paint the main part in black tonight after i leave the office. 

IMG_20230501_162215_copy_1500x2000.jpg

IMG_20230501_181140_copy_2000x1500.jpg

• Like 3

Looking great! I was looking at the vinyl and there is a type of stretchable vinyl that I can’t remember the name of that I have used in the past helping out a friend with making a full leather looking tunic, but this tunic (for medieval times) had layers to it. We took sone foam and cut the shapes we wanted underneath and then stretched it and slowly glued down the parts we wanted to stay. It might work for the mouth piece but then I think you would want it to transition it to the more sturdy vinyl. You could possibly but up the sturdy type to the greblie you made and cover both with the stretchable and thin type. Not sure if it would work though.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Scubacat said:

Looking great! I was looking at the vinyl and there is a type of stretchable vinyl that I can’t remember the name of that I have used in the past helping out a friend with making a full leather looking tunic, but this tunic (for medieval times) had layers to it. We took sone foam and cut the shapes we wanted underneath and then stretched it and slowly glued down the parts we wanted to stay. It might work for the mouth piece but then I think you would want it to transition it to the more sturdy vinyl. You could possibly but up the sturdy type to the greblie you made and cover both with the stretchable and thin type. Not sure if it would work though.  

Great tip, thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 4:38 AM, stevechewbacca said:

The weather won't let me make any step further for now and i'll be on a break for a week. But ! 

I received this in the mail today :)

IMG_20230512_123628_copy_682x682.jpg

I know the feeling! It has been raining constantly here on and off so it is making it hard to get layers of paint down. Keep up the great work! 

• Like 1
On 5/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, stevechewbacca said:

The weather won't let me make any step further for now and i'll be on a break for a week. But ! 

I received this in the mail today :)

IMG_20230512_123628_copy_682x682.jpg

Nice.

It's summer, so hopefully the weather gods will look down kindly on you, so you can continue with the paint work.

• Like 1

The humidity is really high where I live during this time of the year, so painting is usually not viable most of the days outside. I don't have a paint booth setup in my basement due to the fumes and such, but I did get drop cloths just in case. The last time I spray painted down there I got it everywhere because I'm an idiot and that stuff floated for like a day :D 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2023 at 10:50 PM, Dropkick said:

Nice.

It's summer, so hopefully the weather gods will look down kindly on you, so you can continue with the paint work.

Thank you ! :)
The weather is way better now, i'll try to work on it in the next days ^^

11 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

The humidity is really high where I live during this time of the year, so painting is usually not viable most of the days outside. I don't have a paint booth setup in my basement due to the fumes and such, but I did get drop cloths just in case. The last time I spray painted down there I got it everywhere because I'm an idiot and that stuff floated for like a day :D 

I understand, i made a few mistakes like this myself. 
You know, my first armor, entirely made by me as I had 0 budget was vacform with a heatgun over a gas bottle... I realized a few years later that I could have blown the family house and kill everyone 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...