TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

Thanks a bunch guys!!! Glad to be back making stuff! :)

Unfortunately couldn't get much done today, ran out of plastic for cover strips. Also need some more LEDs as well. All of it is ordered and on its way. Hopefully everything will be put back together by the weekend and ready for paint.

Fivezero

:D

Thank you very much guys!

Not much progress the last couple days, been raining a lot lately so haven't been able to paint. Hoping to get them painted tomorrow or Friday. The last LED strips I need are also on their way, so everything should be all finished this weekend!! I'll get some new pics taken next week and hopefully submitted for approval, finally!!

Fivezero

I"m curious how this whole thing is powered. Are you running separate power for each lit area, or is all hooked to some master blaster?

Every piece of armor that is lit up has it's own power source. I decided to do this to prevent having to have wires running all over the place, and then hiding them, then wires coming unplugged/breaking while wearing it, etc. It seems easier to me. The only downside is that I have to remember that I need all 15 batteries to power this thing (forgot a couple when I took the first full suit pictures) and of course having to buy 15 batteries, which is only a few bucks really (found a nice seller online!) and they seem to last forever with the LEDs.

Here's the batteries I'm using. They are A23 12 volt batteries. They're very small, about a third of the size of a AA battery and I have no trouble hiding them in the armor (they also don't get in the way when you're wearing it). The important part is the 12 volt as that is what the LED strips are set up for. Otherwise you'd need 8 AA batteries for each piece of armor, which comes out to 120 batteries for the whole suit being powered individually.

d28ee252-0070-49b3-b441-f00e85555cca_zps9e29ea4f.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsdd3705a2.jpg

I also found appropriate battery holders on Ebay as well, they work great!!

DSCF0005_zps643ffd59.jpg

All in all, keeping each piece powered individually helps putting it on and wearing it easier. It goes on just like a regular suit of armor, except for the added steps of flipping a switch and checking to make sure the lights are on. Otherwise, I would literally have wires running from ankles to my wrists to my head, that seems like a lot to keep track of when putting it on. And if a connection breaks somewhere, then I'd have to track it down, fix it, hope something else doesn't break. Just my way of doing it.

Fivezero

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys! Sorry it's been awhile!

I picked this back up the last couple days to finish it off. Everything is all ready to go and rigged up to wear. Unfortunately I had an incident with my belt, and well it broke into multiple pieces. So what do I do? Make a new one of course!!!

Started off by casting new boxes for the belt using the old boxes (since the belt was snapped in thirds, just broke them off further).

DSCF0013_zpsa65844a3.jpg

New belt face, nothing fancy here, flat sheet of plastic cut to size and everything marked where it needs to go.

DSCF0002_zps79b74287.jpg

DSCF0003_zpsf610c0fd.jpg

Here's everything secured together. Everything is glued down, the boxes also have screws to give them a mechanical connection vs. pure adhesion. They're quite hefty and didn't want one popping off while trooping.

DSCF0005_zpsbce9aecc.jpg

The new belt was a little stiff, a couple seconds with the heat gun and some pressure gives it a little curve to help it conform to my body. And that's how you make a belt!

DSCF0007_zps442290a6.jpg

I hope to at least get the thing primed MAYBE painted tomorrow evening, I'll see how it goes. Either way I'm taking new pictures of the whole suit by next Friday, I absolutely promise (I'm dying to see what my new lighted parts look like!!!). :thumbsup:

Fivezero

I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a belt in such a fashion before. Very cool.

Well, the belt was actually going to be used to vacuum form a new one, but at some point I decided to just use as it is. Anyway, no painting got done, had a bit of a storm go through/still going through.

photo_zps5b7a3804.jpg

I'm originally from Iowa, so I feel ya. Out here in Seattle when we get an inch we freak out and close everything down.

Well got the belt primed and painted this morning. Still going to try to get some pictures of the whole thing tonight! Paint might be a bit soft, but whatever I want to get this thing wrapped up and submitted!

Fivezero

New pictures!

DSCF0004-Copy_zps41f6ed57.jpg

Overall, went much better than last time I took pictures. Still had a couple minor problems with some straps. This time it seems to be mostly fit related things. One of my bicep straps broke halfway through and I didn't catch it unfortunately. I took a look at it this morning, and my bicep armor will only go up so far (think I've gained some muscle in the last couple years). My other concern is my back plate, there are some big gaps between the rest of the armor, it's always been a problem for being a big guy. I think part of the problem is that this thing is Frankenarmor (a piece from this kit, a piece from that one, some of it made by me, etc.), if I were to rebuild it I would go one brand new kit from the beginning. The leg armor was also sitting too low, covered up the red stripes on the boots...

Unrelated to fit issues, I don't really like the forearms a bunch. The EL tape just doesn't work for me. It doesn't look quite right in regards to the effects (should be similar to the shoulder lights) and I had one arm completely drain a battery in 20 minutes (you can see it in the picture on the right). The other was also starting to get weak by the end as well. If I wish to wear this at a troop, I'm going to need a new power source for those. However, I think I'm going to focus my efforts on making clear forearms instead and going all LED on this guy. I'd also like to try and get the LEDs a little bit brighter if I can too, they get a bit washed out by light and camera flash.

On a positive note, loving my new shoulder and lower leg armor!! I would like to take some new pictures before submitting it, but I might just go ahead and submit it anyway to get the process started. Worst case, I take new ones anyway; best case, they're fine with them. But whatever, the thing still looks cool though! :D

Fivezero

Astounding to finally see this thing Ty! I agree with everything you said about fit, and the forearms certainly sound problematic. I was thinking you made clear forearms before? Id love to see what you can do with that. How does the illumination in the eyes affect your vision vs a standard TK bucket? And do the lights/power create any noticeable heat?

Just got done fixing some of the issues. Started off by trying everything on to really see what was going on. Funny thing was, most of the problem went away just be simply moving my suspender straps while they were on. I balanced the tension across my shoulders (can't think of a better way to say it) and it raised everything up a bit. Last night I think I had too much strapping behind me, let the kidney plate drop dramatically. Also to help out, I adjusted the shoulder straps back on my back plate, gained another inch. So, overall went from literally about a 4 inch gap between my back plate and the kidney plate to about an inch now. All because I was basically throwing my armor on too quick last night. So used to being able to just throw my armor on and not having to worry about adjusting things (thanks Frankenarmor!!). So that's the biggest concern gone.

The forearms, I'm going to stick with them for now. I'll get the electrical problems sorted (find out why the one is killing batteries) so they don't cut out when I'm taking pictures. But Toddo, never got clear ones made up. It was always the last thing I wanted to upgrade. The shoulder and legs really needed them bad, so I redid them. The forearms still do the job and glow blue (just not quite as long as I'd like), so I never got around to it.

As for basic comfort, not too bad. Getting it on is a bit of chore and trying to make sure wires are tucked in. You can see just fine out of the helmet, just a slightly blue tint to everything. :) The welder's lens does it job and keeps most of the light down (the lights are obviously in front). No heat generated at all either, absolutely no problem with that. The LEDs really generate no real heat (they do, it's about 77 degrees Fahrenheit, but definitely not noticeable).

Other than that, got a few other things to tidy up. Probably won't be able to get new pictures for a few days though. But glad to see it all together and everything mostly works (looking at you left forearm). Feels good to finally be at the stage where I'm just doing minor tweaks and adjustments. Pretty soon, we'll have another trooper for the roster!!

Fivezero

Everything's fixed and ready for some new pictures tomorrow! Very pleased with how everything is working now and there shouldn't be any issues (fingers crossed)! Got a checklist ready of what to watch for. Excited to be at the end of this almost four year journey! :D

Welp, here it is! Used a different camera too, worked a little better! Still had a couple minor issues, meh, I don't think they'll hold up getting this thing approved. Still doesn't quite fit just right yet, but it's way better than it was. Anyway here's the pics!!

Front_zps1ebe7c7e.jpg

FrontLights_zps96014e59.jpg

I really love how this thing lights up! :D :D :D :D :D

Fivezero

:D :D

• Like 1