TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

• 2 months later...

Alright now that the Silver Nova is approved, it's time to awaken/dust off this beast again. I got a couple small things to take care of; the boots need some touch up and the thigh belt needs a little more heat. Very minor things. Pics WILL be incoming very soon.

Fivezero

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Question about the LED is there such a thing as rechargeable LED strips? so you just plug them into the wall they charge then you can have them all juiced up instead of worrying and repurchasing batteries? I am not so sure if the tech is out for that yet but I wonder if its possible to just make it, using the principles of other charge and use things.

Just a thought, but it looks great and its a really neat costume would be epic for night time parades.

You could probably do some wiring for the LED strips to make them rechargeable. The strips I use (and like many others) only have a positive and negative wire which you then have to attach to a battery. There are rechargeable batteries you could wire in (I'm inexperienced with this kind of stuff, so I don't where you could get it....).

I can tell you that the LED strips are very energy efficient, though. The first 12v battery I bought two years ago to test the LEDs still powers the strips to the same brightness. And it only cost about $2 a battery or so, about $20 total. :D

yeah its not going to be the led that be rechargeable...most likely some form of battery pack that is rechargeable...all my 9 volts are rechargeable =/ just depending on how much ya be supply them

Well I can tell you there isn't that much more extra weight.They're about half the length of a AAA battery, so any weight added is insignificant. :) They're little 12v batteries I got at the hardware store to power the LED strips (which need 12 volts), to put that in perspective you need about 8 AA batteries for the same voltage. I also found some nice battery holders to tuck them away nicely in the different armor pieces. Here's a picture of them:

d28ee252-0070-49b3-b441-f00e85555cca_zps9e29ea4f.jpg

All 11 of those will power the lights on the suit. I decided to power each piece of armor individually, didn't want wire's running everywhere between armor pieces. But as you can see, they are tiny. :)

Keep asking questions if you got them!!

Fivezero

Cool those are tiny. The technology we have makes things a lot smaller so it makes sense. I want to do the evo shadowtrooper that has a few pieces that light up as well. Probably be a lot less complex since this one has so many pieces that light up.

I cant wait to see the finished product it looks really good the bits and pieces you have shown thus far.

I hope we can get some kits available sometime in the future and get 501st approval.

This is all very exciting I love to see all the different costumes and work that gets put into them.

Superglue could probably work, but not much sticks to EL tape, most of the EL tape on my forearms is coming off now. I'm going to try some superglue to see if that helps at all.

But there's also a little overhang of plastic on the EL tape (it's laminated with PVC to protect/strengthen it). You could probably sew it on using that, but be careful nonetheless. :D

Awesome! This totally helps me out! I am working on a christmas present for my friend. They go to cons as a character with a bit of a glowing arm. If anyone has played Devil May Cry, they know what I am talking about.

• 1 month later...

Calling all troops that have followed this build, if I do not post full pictures of me wearing the whole suit by this FRIDAY, then feel free to spam my Inbox until I post up pictures.

Thanks,

Fivezero

Calling all troops that have followed this build, if I do not post full pictures of me wearing the whole suit by this FRIDAY, then feel free to spam my Inbox until I post up pictures.

Thanks,

Fivezero

I'm all over it. I'll compose a draft, remove the safety, and prepare to fire the SEND button.

The day has finally arrived. The pictures have been taken, no joking this time! ;)

Unfortunately some of my batteries went missing (they dropped behind my desk when I grabbed them, didn't notice). My shins unfortunately were not able to glow. BUT I was able to see that everything still worked alright (mostly, at least the lights did!) when I was all suited up. The lights that were powered, stay powered, no connections broke and everything seemed alright! However, in my excitement to get the build done, I may have forgot some straps and a couple pieces of Velcro here and there, you'll see. Just realized I forgot my mic tips too, whoops!!

DSCN0602-Copy_zps7295bdae.jpg

I also didn't pad up the forearms, figured they would be alright with all the electrical stuff in them, guess I was wrong. :) Otherwise everything looked like I hoped it would (looking at you shoulder bells). I'll stay plan on some clear upgrades in the future since LEDs are so much better to work with than EL tape/wire. But I'll go get some more extra batteries and strap that chest plate so it isn't going everywhere.

Fivezero

Oh and for you TRON fans out there! Been dying to take this picture for the last couple years. :)

DSCN0613-Copy_zps8a521643.jpg