Star Wars Battlefront (2004): Phase 0 Dark Trooper CRL Discussion

On 12/2/2020 at 1:53 AM, shadowfire said:

Thanks Ryan! Sorry Alex, isn’t it always the way after all the work someone finds an easier way? ?  I like that slate color too, depending on light and background the color appears different, neat feature.

48164A3A-77DA-4EBE-AA1E-CA89CCB13083.jpeg

D7FA816E-8C45-4017-B47D-5B137EAFC0CA.jpeg

Looks bang on to me.  I really like the way the colour shifts from blue to grey depending on what light it's under. This is pretty much exactly what happened with the game model so I think you've nailed the colour.

found my old spray cans from when I painted the prototype:

*Dark grey:  British paints steel grey

*Light grey: Dulux light grey

*Gun metal:  Deltron Grigio alfieri (a maserati colour)

Hope this helps :)

I've been asked about cutting and trimming the suit and whether there was anything tricky.  From memory the armour pretty much went together like a TK except we fixed the chest plate and backplate together permanently. And we hard mounted the jetpack so it made it quick to put on.  

The shoulder bells I think we padded slightly to give them some lift.

The helmet was a swine to assemble; Shadow fire has done an excellent job IMO especially the ears

• Thanks 3
5 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Thanks @RAIDER!

@shadowfire as far as those boots and gloves go the details don't seem to match the references. While the boot stitching does appear to be close it is missing the two mark detail on the top of the foot but instead has two horizontal patches which are not accurate. Gloves do not have any pad details from what we can see texture wise so using the basic TK/TX gloves is the standard that we pushed.

I'd recommend checking out our revamped references thread: 

I went ahead and got the game on Steam a few weeks ago and was able to get a plethora of new pics and have it readily available for whatever we need.

Sorry wasn’t meaning to get out of order.  I already had business with Gio ? and asked if he might have a base shoe I could work from with that gray sole after getting some info from Alex on his hunt. Long story short, Gio thought he may have this kit or similar unbuilt in his project closet as well, so he had an interest and was going to go looking.  Apparently he was already a member of the forum from day past too. I didn’t mean to cause a problem if I have, just happy and trying to help.

4CAEDF9A-551E-4316-9336-14F2842C9D88.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oota goota said:

The helmet was a swine to assemble; Shadow fire has done an excellent job IMO especially the ears

I make no claims on assembling the helmet!  I am a lousy builder but a good assistant!  I shipped the parts to my bud Eric Dyck and said “help”. He messaged me back something like “what the heck *is* this!?!” ? I did manage to do all the detail sanding prep for the paint, that was a pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, shadowfire said:

Sorry wasn’t meaning to get out of order.  I already had business with Gio ? and asked if he might have a base shoe I could work from with that gray sole after getting some info from Alex on his hunt. Long story short, Gio thought he may have this kit or similar unbuilt in his project closet as well, so he had an interest and was going to go looking.  Apparently he was already a member of the forum from day past too. I didn’t mean to cause a problem if I have, just happy and trying to help.

4CAEDF9A-551E-4316-9336-14F2842C9D88.png

No ur good.  Was just clarifying the process we work through. No offense taken. No problem at all.  Its always good to see life on a thread and in the forums.

Oh to have a kit just laying around in a closet lol.

In any case, did u say u posted a WIP thread?  The color u found seems to be a hit and would be great to see that locked into a build thread.

• Like 1

Here is the proposed knee detail text:

Knee Details

• On each side of each knee there will be a silver circular greeblie with a red center that fades to black around the edges.
  • This detail may be attached to either the thigh armor or lower leg armor, but the method of attachment shall be hidden or blended into the undersuit.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Circular greeblies are more conical and have a metal appearance:
    • Greeblies get narrower towards the top and wider at the bottom.
    • Red LEDs within each greeblie give the appearance that it is glowing.
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, Mr.Nova said:

Wouldn't these shoes be adequate? I thought there was a plating or something going over the top of the ankle that would inevitably cover those horizontal bars? Or am I misremembering 

They are not the same, it is a much wider patch across there and not those short bars as indicated in the RC boots. I have put some of the reference pictures below; the first two are from the PC version of the game that I took a month or so ago:

P0DTboots1.JPG P0DTboots2.JPGP0DTboots3.JPG P0DTboots4.JPG

Since I have the game again I can go back into it any time we need it for references.

Right, I guess I'm not explaining what I meant very clearly. I'll try and find a reference pic to explain what I mean.

HDCwSi5.png

Isn't this piece, like, a covering on top of the boot?

Cosplay-Medieval-Retro-Female-Warrior-So963fe90b9ae4f6f6bf3e582edce1fc23.jpg

Like this, but plastic (or w/e applicable material)
That would cover the rectangles you're focusing on.

1 hour ago, Mr.Nova said:

Right, I guess I'm not explaining what I meant very clearly. I'll try and find a reference pic to explain what I mean.

HDCwSi5.png

Isn't this piece, like, a covering on top of the boot?

Cosplay-Medieval-Retro-Female-Warrior-So963fe90b9ae4f6f6bf3e582edce1fc23.jpg

Like this, but plastic (or w/e applicable material)
That would cover the rectangles you're focusing on.

I see what the confusion is, whether or not that flat part with the two indentions is actual armor spats or part of the boot. That is possibly something that we'll have to discuss and may have been a limitation with the texturing of the armor.

P0DTboots1.JPG

With a regular boot seam the line is thinner, and I can see that how the thicker line may indicate that it could be an armored spat. However, the thicker line may be caused by the texture wrapping rather than the indication that it is an armored spat. My interpretation is that that is NOT an armored spat but rather part of the boot. Largely in part due to this pic:

P0-Trooper08.jpg

The texturing of the spot in contention matches much of the texturing color and shadowing around the boot itself. When referencing the lower leg armor, if that boot part was meant to be an armored spat it would have lighter markings and blending similar to that of the lower leg armor.

Even when referencing the shine on the boot in this pic you can see it extends down to the raised sole of the side boot, which if we are using the armored spat logic that lighting would indicate that the entire boot is armored; which I do not believe to be the case:

P0DTboots2.JPG

1. GREAT find on that slate blue. I love that color. Ill grab a can of this weekend JUST BECAUSE its a great color. 

2. agree with the knees, I dont see any issues with the text, but I really dont get how the conical parts would blend into the undersuit. Does that mean its mounted to the suit? or, APPEAR to be mounted to the undersuit, using a flange hidden underneat the knee armor?

3:  On the boots, if Gio wants a stab at it, ok, but being a armor maker that mounts sintra on top of boots, my reational would be to prototype them out in cardboard, then build it up in 3mm black sintra. I built my Mk41 battle armor boots this way, withthe boot mounted on a big thick floor foam pad. This was how i prototyped them, and the hinge at the toe had to work so I could walk.  Just an idea, but its how i tend to handle parts like this.0kBfFQK.jpg

• Like 1

To me it looks like an armored covering, not part of the shoe. Not only is the line around the edge thicker but it is also feathered, which makes it look like a shadow, which would indicate that there is a separation between the shoe and the top covering. If it was part of the shoe there wouldn’t be so much of a shadow. Also, the black bars would make more sense on armor than on fabric... or at least those bars would be easier to replicate on something like plastic. With fabric the edges around those bars would fray unless they’re folded under and stitched, which would be hard to do for something that small. Unless the bars were painted on flat, I suppose.

Also, the fact that the covering doesn’t go all the way around the foot or disappear under (be tucked into) the bottom of the calf armor, but rather ends near the ankle-ish, makes me think it would be something hard like armor.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Mr.Nova said:

Are there any other models that have armored spats? I haven't looked atm, but I can check later. I feel it'd be safe to say it's a limitation of the model, but yeah.

Yeah we are totally able to have a discussion on this and if the consensus is that it is armored and looks it in the reference, we'd definitely not rule it out just yet.

4 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

2. agree with the knees, I dont see any issues with the text, but I really dont get how the conical parts would blend into the undersuit. Does that mean its mounted to the suit? or, APPEAR to be mounted to the undersuit, using a flange hidden underneat the knee armor?

3:  On the boots, if Gio wants a stab at it, ok, but being a armor maker that mounts sintra on top of boots, my reational would be to prototype them out in cardboard, then build it up in 3mm black sintra. I built my Mk41 battle armor boots this way, withthe boot mounted on a big thick floor foam pad. This was how i prototyped them, and the hinge at the toe had to work so I could walk.  Just an idea, but its how i tend to handle parts like this.0kBfFQK.jpg

The blend part was just that if it is attached to the armor parts via a strip of plastic, etc. that it isn't easily viewable. That'd keep it off the knee itself and from having to be attached to the under suit itself. At least that is what I'm thinking. We just want to keep someone from using white plastic or something highly visible from showing.

I like the description for the layering for the boot.

3 minutes ago, Blue Hatter said:

To me it looks like an armored covering, not part of the shoe. Not only is the line around the edge thicker but it is also feathered, which makes it look like a shadow, which would indicate that there is a separation between the shoe and the top covering. If it was part of the shoe there wouldn’t be so much of a shadow. Also, the black bars would make more sense on armor than on fabric... or at least those bars would be easier to replicate on something like plastic. With fabric the edges around those bars would fray unless they’re folded under and stitched, which would be hard to do for something that small. Unless the bars were painted on flat, I suppose.

Also, the fact that the covering doesn’t go all the way around the foot or disappear under (be tucked into) the bottom of the calf armor, but rather ends near the ankle-ish, makes me think it would be something hard like armor.

I'm definitely not opposed to the armored spat part, we'll just have to see how to word it properly.

Let's continue doing the background research for the boot and spat stuff but get through the details for the knees and the move to the lower leg armor before moving to the boots. That way we can focus on getting down the list. :) 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am Gio ct6244 from Ecuador, I was directed here by Barret Keener, I I a phase zero armor in a box and now that it's almost done the CRL draw I'd like to start my assembly.

As many of you know,I am the Crowprops owner and I can help in the boots issues.

I have previous experience with videogame boots, as I can see the zero boots are very very similar to the Republic Commando, wide  and square toe, same details as the clone realistic boots in the instep, if you want to know about what boots I am talking about, please go to Crowprops dot com and search Republic.

I am ready to change soles, color scheme etc to help to finish this Character.

Cheers

Gio

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, crow62 said:

Hello, I am Gio ct6244 from Ecuador, I was directed here by Barret Keener, I I a phase zero armor in a box and now that it's almost done the CRL draw I'd like to start my assembly.

As many of you know,I am the Crowprops owner and I can help in the boots issues.

I have previous experience with videogame boots, as I can see the zero boots are very very similar to the Republic Commando, wide  and square toe, same details as the clone realistic boots in the instep, if you want to know about what boots I am talking about, please go to Crowprops dot com and search Republic.

Cheers

Gio

Hello, Gio!

When we roll into the boots part of the CRL we'll definitely start working on that CRL text as it relates to the reference photos (from what we have).

10 hours ago, crow62 said:

Cheers

Gio

Welcome Gio!

I have added the Knee Details to the finalized text list (for now) and we can move onto the Lower Leg Armor:

Lower Leg Armor

• The shin armor is able to open and firmly close in the back allowing the two halves to appear sealed. There shall be the appearance of a cover strip on the front and back.
  • The cover strips will be a darker gray color that is different from the base color.
  • Overlap construction is only allowable for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Must be constructed using the butt joint cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, IcyTrooper said:

I have added the Knee Details to the finalized text list (for now) and we can move onto the Lower Leg Armor:

Lower Leg Armor

• The shin armor is able to open and firmly close in the back allowing the two halves to appear sealed. There shall be the appearance of a cover strip on the front and back.
  • The cover strips will be a darker gray color that is different from the base color.
  • Overlap construction is only allowable for kits that come with the cover strip molded into the part.

• Must be constructed using the butt joint cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Sounds fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the boot armor and boot text:

Boot Armor

• There is a two-tiered raised armor detail that is flat on top and bends to the sides curving along each side of each boot. The two details have a seam separating them and the following details:
    • The bottom section detail has two black painted details that run horizontally across the boot. The detail closest to the toes is longer than the one above it.
    • The top section detail rounds out on the front boot where laces would be and go around the ankle of the boot stopping just before the end of the boot.
    • Both of these details may be fastened to the boot on each side with Velcro, adhesive or a rivet that is colored the same as the boot.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There is no rivet attaching the two-tiered raised armor detail to the boot.
  • The two black details on the bottom section of the armor detail is an actual indention and painted.

------------------------

Boots

• Boots are made of a vinyl or leather material in a color that matches the gray of the armor and covers the ankle area with no visible undersuit.
  • Boots have flat soles and no visible laces. Some visible tread on side and arch is ok.
    • Sole color must be a slightly contrasting darker gray, as per the reference photos.
  • There are no markings or labels from the shoemaker.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• There is no visible tread on the sides and arch of the boot.
  • The sole is weathered around the entire boot, heavier at the heel as seen in the reference photos.

• Like 1