Star Wars Battlefront (2004): Phase 0 Dark Trooper CRL Discussion

Here is the thermal detonator text!

Thermal Detonator

• (A.K.A O2 canister) is attached to the center back of the belt.
  • The total length is approximately 7.50" (190.5mm).
  • Detonator consists of a painted dark gray cylinder with 2” (50mm) to 2.68” (68mm) in diameter with gray/silver end caps on each end and a gray/silver control panel pad.
  • The gray/silver control panel pad faces upwards with the following details
    • Four horizontally aligned buttons.
    • These buttons are aligned to the right on the panel, when viewing from behind.
    • There is a circular detail at the top left of the control panel.
  • The detonator may be attached to the belt with 1” (25mm) silver metal or metallic-appearing clips.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The detonator is not attached to the belt with silver metal or metallic-appearing clips.
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

No complaints from me about the detonator.

That is good to hear! I actually hadn't had that one completed yet when I got to it in my draft Word doc so I was like oh crap! I do have the text done for the thigh armor which is next. :) 

18 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

would magnets be preferred to mount the detonator? 

That is a good proposal idea as well! I drew my text reference from the AOTC: Captain clone armor which at higher levels states that there shouldn't be any visible clips. We can bounce around the idea of no clips for L1 as well as this is our CRL.

There's really no way to tell if there are supposed to be clips on the detonator or not. I mean, on the model the detonator isn't even fully modeled, it's just a half cylinder D-shape protruding out of the lower back. But seeing as it looks pretty much like a stormtrooper detonator I had assumed that it would have clips on it, but I don't imagine it being a big deal one way or the other.

That said, riveting it onto the belt would probably be easier than using magnets. It might not stay in place with magnets and might fall off. With rivets it ain't goin' nowhere.

...But I used clips... :P

P0-Trooper04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback! I think we'll leave the clips for L1 and then we'll allow for any type of attachment to get it onto the belt as long as it is flush.

I'm going to update the finalized text for now on the main post and then we can move onto the thigh armor!

I did add this to the L2 bullet (purple underlined):

• The detonator is not attached to the belt with silver metal or metallic-appearing clips and sits flush with the belt.
  • Like 1

Here is the start of the thigh armor text:

Thigh Armor

• Front of thigh armor has a flat triangular area near the knee.
    • From the top of the triangle, a ridge line travels up the front of the thigh to the top edge.
  • Rear of the thigh has a U-shaped indention.
  • Armor is seamless.
    • No visible traces of how the armor was assembled are shown.
  • On the outside of the thighs there is a darker gray striping that is wide at the top of the thigh and narrows a third of the way down the thigh and extends all the way to the bottom of the thigh.
  • On the inside of the thigh there is a darker gray striping that is wide at the top of the thigh and goes down the inside of the thigh at a 90 degree angle, cutting at a 45 degree angle at the midpoint of the thigh then cuts back down at a 30 degree angle towards the last third of the thigh. It flattens out about a third of the way from the end of the thigh and goes back to the back of the thigh before going up the back inside of the thigh at a 90 degree angle to the top of the thigh. This stripe shall not go to the bottom of the inside of the thigh.

I know that that last bullet is kind of a bear and we may be able to break it up to sub-bullets for the dark gray painting/striping, etc.

Hola! What I get for not paying attention to forums ?  I’m the owner of “the 2nd pull” of this kit from Jon, it’s been in the project closet for years. Looks like I need to do some reading.   May not make CRL tho.

• Like 3

yup me too Shadowfire!  Haven't been on the boards in a long time.  Amazing progress on the crl you guys wow! I really hope you can get it over the line. Not sure if I can help but please message me if you need to.  I am trying to find the paint mix for the blue-grey ATM no idea where I put it lol

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, oota goota said:

yup me too Shadowfire!  Haven't been on the boards in a long time.  Amazing progress on the crl you guys wow! I really hope you can get it over the line. Not sure if I can help but please message me if you need to.  I am trying to find the paint mix for the blue-grey ATM no idea where I put it lol

welcome back! likewise @shadowfire

• Like 1

were working out the blue grey color.  it will be a lot easier in spray can, i love to use model paints and spray cans are available, its just if we can get what we agree on.  Alex has info on some of the paints he used, some were custom mixes too.   

We'll get it across the line, push pull or drag. Theres amazing work going into this. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, shadowfire said:

Ryan, is there a link to the current draft CRL somewhere I can see it in It’s entirety?

Thank you!

Sure thing! It is in this post on the 1st page here: https://forum.specops501st.com/topic/4155-star-wars-battlefront-2004-phase-0-dark-trooper-crl-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=95154

@shadowfire Great!  Sounds good.  Just as an order of process, we typically work the text based on the references (being a lo-res video game graphic there may be some degree of flex), and then builders can match that.  As a general best practice, we try not to get overly involved in steering and guiding vendors excessively.  Vendors should ultimately do their own research and create a product that meets the CRL standards (via the references).  We absolutely welcome vendors certainly (I have good relationships with many) but we do try to keep a clear line between the detachment and those selling products.

That said...looking at the references, neither the RC boots or gloves appear to be a match for what is on the Dark Trooper.  I will let @IcyTrooper chime in, but the texture details don't seem to match.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @RAIDER!

@shadowfire as far as those boots and gloves go the details don't seem to match the references. While the boot stitching does appear to be close it is missing the two mark detail on the top of the foot but instead has two horizontal patches which are not accurate. Gloves do not have any pad details from what we can see texture wise so using the basic TK/TX gloves is the standard that we pushed.

I'd recommend checking out our revamped references thread: 

I went ahead and got the game on Steam a few weeks ago and was able to get a plethora of new pics and have it readily available for whatever we need.