Star Wars Battlefront (2004): Phase 0 Dark Trooper CRL Discussion

Any opinions about what I should do regarding the rivet-like thing that I mistakenly put above the greeblie? Should I leave it? Should I cover it with "rust"? I realize that the rivet shouldn't be there but I'm concerned that a blob of "rust" might just be too much of it to look real, y'know? I didn't want to get too carried away with the rusting look, and actually already did a bit more than I had intended. Heh.

3 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

Any opinions about what I should do regarding the rivet-like thing that I mistakenly put above the greeblie? Should I leave it? Should I cover it with "rust"? I realize that the rivet shouldn't be there but I'm concerned that a blob of "rust" might just be too much of it to look real, y'know? I didn't want to get too carried away with the rusting look, and actually already did a bit more than I had intended. Heh.

is it plastic?   can it be sanded down?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RAIDER said:

is it plastic?   can it be sanded down?

It is plastic but I don’t think that I could fit a file in to sand it, it’s a fairly a small space. I would also have to repaint that area, which isn’t the end of the world but would be a bit of a challenge. Hmm...

in the real world we drill off rivets and plug/fill the holes (with a new rivet) but you can fill it with putty or ABS paste, and touch up the area. Ive had to fill and plug holes in helmets that I totallly screwed up and drilled the wrong spot. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

in the real world we drill off rivets and plug/fill the holes (with a new rivet) but you can fill it with putty or ABS paste, and touch up the area. Ive had to fill and plug holes in helmets that I totallly screwed up and drilled the wrong spot. 

I suppose that I could try that. It's going to be tough adding the texture back to that place, as that black tank has a bumpy texture applied to it using textured spray paint. I don't want to have to repaint the entire tank so matching the texture is going to be tough. With some luck maybe that spot will be small enough that a difference in texture wont be noticed too much, and I might be able to hide some of it with weathering. I'll have to think it over...

Whatever I do it's going to be a bit of work...

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

I suppose that I could try that. It's going to be tough adding the texture back to that place, as that black tank has a bumpy texture applied to it using textured spray paint. I don't want to have to repaint the entire tank so matching the texture is going to be tough. With some luck maybe that spot will be small enough that a difference in texture wont be noticed too much, and I might be able to hide some of it with weathering. I'll have to think it over...

Whatever I do it's going to be a bit of work...

Just keep in mind that based on what we make of the CRL and based on the reference images there could be some modifications that need to be done as we work on finalizing the text and what not with the reference image. ;) 

7 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Just keep in mind that based on what we make of the CRL and based on the reference images there could be some modifications that need to be done as we work on finalizing the text and what not with the reference image. ;) 

Yup. Reference-wise I don't imagine many changes, I tried to adhere as closely to references as possible, albeit taking a few creative liberties when I couldn't make out details, or having to adjust something to make it actually possible to be worn by a human body (like the belt, which is just one solid piece on the game texture with no separation or seam and looks to be entirely solid plastic, which isn't really possible in reality-- or having to add something under the shoulder armor for them to attach to, while the game model just has them magically floating in the air).

And I think I took care of the rivet above the pack greeblie. I'm just finishing the last bit of painting on it.

• Like 2

I'm going to aim to make this the final text for the jump pack (for now):

Jump Pack

• Styled after the jump pack seen in the Battlefront 2004 video game and close to the CRL images with details below. The pack will be painted in the same color as the base color of the armor unless noted otherwise in the details.
  • There are two trapezoidagon wings protruding from either side at the top of the jump pack. These wings are mirrored images of each other with 5 sides. The sides contain the following details:
    • The side facing upwards has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vents open towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing the back/helmet has no details and is dark gray.
    • The side facing outwards from the back has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vents open towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing the exhaust jets is slanted at a 45 degree angle and has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vent opens towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing outwards past the shoulders has a circular detail in the center of a circular recessed area. The circular detail in the center has a raised edge and recessed vent section. The vent section detail is painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack.
  • There is a trapezoid-like recessed area on each side of the black section towards the top of the pack and next to the trapezoidagon wings.
  • The black center section of the jump pack is flat at the top, slants at an angle towards the middle of the jump pack before flattening out. After the flattened section it slants towards the posterior armor to the bottom of the jump pack. The following details are present:
    • The flat part of the top has no details from the back of the armor to about the last third of the jet pack. After that there is a black section before it reaches the angled slant.
    • The angled slant from the top has a rectangle in the center with recessed black areas on all sides of the rectangle. As it levels out there is another horizontal rectangular greeblie detail until the next slanted area. This horizontal rectangular greeblie is a gray with brown/tan mixed in to give it a metal appearance.
    • The angled slant towards the bottom has a rectangle in the center with recessed black areas on all sides of the rectangle.
  • Just before the rockets on each there is a recessed rectangular section that is gray on each side of the black center section.
  • On each side of the jump pack just above the rockets there is a gray conical detail. This detail is painted dark gray.
  • Each rocket tip will have the following details:
    • A set of dark silver rings at the top.
    • A light gray section in the middle.
    • A dark gray circular section that gets narrower the closer it gets to the bottom.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The vent details on the sides of the trapezoidagon wings have the edges of each vent fin painted a lighter gray to simulate edges.
  • The black center section of the pack is painted to simulate textured metal with grays.
  • In the black center section the horizontal rectangular greeblie has two small gray squares on the lower left side of the greeblie.
  • On the each rocket tip:
    • At the top there will be a total of 4 rings that will have a metal appearance.
    • The white section in the middle will have a slight fade to black as it goes into the rings.
    • The dark gray circular section at the bottom has equally spaced rectangular indentions that go all around it.

You all agree?

• Like 1
On 11/1/2020 at 7:25 PM, IcyTrooper said:

I'm going to aim to make this the final text for the jump pack (for now):

Jump Pack

• Styled after the jump pack seen in the Battlefront 2004 video game and close to the CRL images with details below. The pack will be painted in the same color as the base color of the armor unless noted otherwise in the details.
  • There are two trapezoidagon wings protruding from either side at the top of the jump pack. These wings are mirrored images of each other with 5 sides. The sides contain the following details:
    • The side facing upwards has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vents open towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing the back/helmet has no details and is dark gray.
    • The side facing outwards from the back has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vents open towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing the exhaust jets is slanted at a 45 degree angle and has a recessed vent section detail painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack. The vent opens towards the center of the pack.
    • The side facing outwards past the shoulders has a circular detail in the center of a circular recessed area. The circular detail in the center has a raised edge and recessed vent section. The vent section detail is painted dark gray on the fins and black to simulate looking into the pack.
  • There is a trapezoid-like recessed area on each side of the black section towards the top of the pack and next to the trapezoidagon wings.
  • The black center section of the jump pack is flat at the top, slants at an angle towards the middle of the jump pack before flattening out. After the flattened section it slants towards the posterior armor to the bottom of the jump pack. The following details are present:
    • The flat part of the top has no details from the back of the armor to about the last third of the jet pack. After that there is a black section before it reaches the angled slant.
    • The angled slant from the top has a rectangle in the center with recessed black areas on all sides of the rectangle. As it levels out there is another horizontal rectangular greeblie detail until the next slanted area. This horizontal rectangular greeblie is a gray with brown/tan mixed in to give it a metal appearance.
    • The angled slant towards the bottom has a rectangle in the center with recessed black areas on all sides of the rectangle.
  • Just before the rockets on each there is a recessed rectangular section that is gray on each side of the black center section.
  • On each side of the jump pack just above the rockets there is a gray conical detail. This detail is painted dark gray.
  • Each rocket tip will have the following details:
    • A set of dark silver rings at the top.
    • A light gray section in the middle.
    • A dark gray circular section that gets narrower the closer it gets to the bottom.

• The vent details on the sides of the trapezoidagon wings have the edges of each vent fin painted a lighter gray to simulate edges.
  • The black center section of the pack is painted to simulate textured metal with grays.
  • In the black center section the horizontal rectangular greeblie has two small gray squares on the lower left side of the greeblie.
  • On the each rocket tip:
    • At the top there will be a total of 4 rings that will have a metal appearance.
    • The white section in the middle will have a slight fade to black as it goes into the rings.
    • The dark gray circular section at the bottom has equally spaced rectangular indentions that go all around it.

You all agree?

It's sounding good to me. One thing I don't see (though I might be overlooking it) is the black part on the top of the jump pack tank thing. I'm assuming it's supposed to be like an air intake or something. The game model just has it flat and black without any dimension, but I think it's supposed to look recessed.

P0-Trooper03.jpg

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

The flat part of the top has no details from the back of the armor to about the last third of the jet pack. After that there is a black section before it reaches the angled slant.

Thanks! Yeah you did overlook it under the 4th main bullet and 1st sub bullet. Due to the fact that we are not seeing any details on it we can't really infer in this scenario that it is something different. The inlet vents would be those on the little wings that jut out. 

• Like 2

Here is the text for the abdomen armor:

Abdomen Armor

• Realistic style Clone Abdomen armor.
  • Six 1/4” (6.35mm) in diameter holes per side on indents of ab plate.
  • Twelve holes total.
  • Abdomen section wraps around the wearers body and is sealed at the sides or back or is not sealed at the sides and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.
  • Abdomen armor is completely contained under the chest and back armor.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Armor is not seamless at the sides and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.

I know that in the reference/in-game images on the sides it does not connect with the back armor.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

I never thought about connecting the sides of the armor together with material instead of straps. I might have to try that, that might work better on my suit...

I did notice that I need this to be for the chest plate and back plate, not the abdomen armor/posterior armor. I'm going to take that out of the above text and make reference to another section.

Just based on the photos alone it does appear that it is black, so I'd say that is something worth noting for L1 (either/or) and required for L2:

darktrooperside.JPG 

darktrooperside2.JPG 

darktrooperside3.JPG

Since I screwed up with the location of that black part, it should be between the chest armor and back armor. Thus this will change the abdomen armor text as well. Here are all of the changes in purple and underlined:

Chest Armor

• Chest armor overlaps abdominal armor.
  • There will be a darker gray coloring that curves up from each outer ridge of the raised portion of each breast towards the neck and shoulder straps.
  • On each side of the chest there will be a silver circular greeblie with a red center that fades to black around the edges.
  • There are two pill-shaped black marks underneath and slight offset from the greeblie.
    • The two pill-shaped marks may be painted or decals.
  • Chest armor wraps around the wearers body and is sealed at the sides or the chest armor is not sealed at the sides and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.

• Chest plate shall have return edges all around, thicker at the bottom.
  • Circular greeblies on chest are more conical and have a metal appearance:
    • Greeblies get narrower towards the top and wider at the bottom.
    • Red LEDs within each greeblie give the appearance that it is glowing.
  • The two pill-shaped black marks are actual indentions.
  • Chest armor is not seamless at the sides with the back armor and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.

Back Armor

• Back plate contains an “O II” design with little or no overlap of the kidney plate.
  • There is a fading black to a darker gray coloring that goes from a 45 degree angle from the shoulder straps down towards the corner of the top of the “O II” box, then down at close to a 90 degree angle about two-thirds of the way down before cutting at another 90 degree angle out towards the sides and then again down at a 45 degree angle to the edge of the back plate under the arms.
  • Back armor wraps around the wearers body and is sealed at the sides or the back armor is not sealed at the sides and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.

• Back armor is not seamless at the sides with the chest armor and is connected with black fabric or nylon that blends into the under suit.

Abdomen Armor

• Realistic style Clone Abdomen armor.
  • Six 1/4” (6.35mm) in diameter holes per side on indents of ab plate.
    • Twelve holes total.
  • Abdomen armor has the appearance of no gap between the abdomen armor and posterior armor.

I will update the main part of the finalized CRL text as well in the first page of thread with these changes if there are no objections.

• Like 1

I have updated the CRL text on the first page with the above! Now onto the Codpiece & Posterior armor!

Codpiece & Posterior Armor

• Codpiece may be one-piece or a part of the abdomen armor and has a raised detail/ridge at the bottom.
  • Codpiece has a darker gray rectangle that starts at the flat part of the raised detail/ridge of the lower codpiece up to the top of the codpiece under the belt.
  • Codpiece and posterior armor connects at the hips under the belt.
  • Posterior armor has a raised ridge that starts on each the side towards the middle and goes up the posterior armor. There is a second ridge/shelf that starts in the middle of posterior armor before the belt.

Not sure if we have any other input for this.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, IcyTrooper said:

I have updated the CRL text on the first page with the above! Now onto the Codpiece & Posterior armor!

• Codpiece may be one-piece or a part of the abdomen armor and has a raised detail/ridge at the bottom.
  • Codpiece has a darker gray rectangle that starts at the flat part of the raised detail/ridge of the lower codpiece up to the top of the codpiece under the belt.
  • Posterior armor has a raised ridge that starts on each the side towards the middle and goes up the posterior armor. There is a second ridge/shelf that starts in the middle of posterior armor before the belt.

Not sure if we have any other input for this.

Sounds good to me. The only thing I notice is the first bullet... Isn't that essentially saying the same thing for the two points? "The codpiece may be one piece" or "part of the abdomen armor". Is that "one piece" as in one piece as part of the abdomen armor? Or one piece by itself? If the latter it might make more sense to say "the codpiece may be a separate individual piece or part of the abdomen armor".

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Blue Hatter said:

Sounds good to me. The only thing I notice is the first bullet... Isn't that essentially saying the same thing for the two points? "The codpiece may be one piece" or "part of the abdomen armor". Is that "one piece" as in one piece as part of the abdomen armor? Or one piece by itself? If the latter it might make more sense to say "the codpiece may be a separate individual piece or part of the abdomen armor".

The latter that you proposed is what we were looking for and sounds a lot better. Essentially, for movability we were going to allow the codpiece to be a separate individual piece provided the seam is covered by the belt.

• Like 1

Here is the updated text in purple and underlined:

• The codpiece may be a separate individual piece or part of the abdomen armor and has a raised detail/ridge at the bottom.
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Here is the updated text in purple and underlined:

• The codpiece may be a separate individual piece or part of the abdomen armor and has a raised detail/ridge at the bottom.

That is definitely much less confusing. :)

That's also how I had to make my codpiece, heh. It was one piece with the abdomen originally, but the armor actually wasn't tall enough for me, so I had to cut it separate and lower it about two inches. ?

• Like 1

I have updated the post with the finalized text for the codpiece & posterior armor, now onto the belt!:

Belt

• The belt will have the following details:
    • Belt front has two raised rectangular indents offset from the middle of the belt.
    • Two belt boxes with an angled top that is on the outside edge of each of the two raised rectangular indents.
      • Each belt box has a square indent about half the size of the box towards the top.
      • There are two black lines underneath the square indent.
    • There is another raised rectangular indent that is to the outside edge of each of the two belt boxes towards the sides of the wearer.
    • Any parts of the belt that are not raised shall be flat.

• Boxes are notched on the back and fit flush to the belt.
  • Detonator connects to the back of the belt without any visible clips and is firmly secured in horizontal position.
  • Like 1
On 11/15/2020 at 10:50 AM, IcyTrooper said:

I have updated the post with the finalized text for the codpiece & posterior armor, now onto the belt!:

Belt

• Belt front has two raised rectangular indents offset from the middle of the belt.
    • Two belt boxes with an angled top that is on the outside edge of each of the two raised rectangular indents.
      • Each belt box has a square indent about half the size of the box towards the top.
    • There is another raised rectangular indent that is to the outside edge of each of the two belt boxes towards the sides of the wearer.

• Detonator connects to the back of the belt without any visible clips and is firmly secured in horizontal position.

This is sounding pretty good to me so far except for a little grammar issue. Maybe I'm just being too picky here (and if so I apologize) but the usage of "raised indents" creates an oxymoron. By definition indents aren't raised, they're indented, pushed in... So it's essentially saying something like "raised lowered". :P

Though I do know why it was used, describing things like that can be tricky, I've run into that numerous times myself. I suppose you could replace "raised indents" with "outdented" but that's not a very attractive word. Neither is "protruding"... But there must be an easy way to explain that without creating an oxymoron. Hmm... Thinking, thinking...

What about just "small boxes" or something like that? That's essentially what they look like, anyway. Or "raised rectangular boxes", being a bit more precise...

raIsed surface features?  raised boxes?  

if you need a wide material that will bend I have made fabric hinges with three layers of fabric stitched at the edges, and I have also used 4" wide elastic. it is sold as mil spec elastic, but its just really wide elastic, and comes in colors like black and white 

On 11/17/2020 at 2:39 AM, Blue Hatter said:

This is sounding pretty good to me so far except for a little grammar issue. Maybe I'm just being too picky here (and if so I apologize) but the usage of "raised indents" creates an oxymoron. By definition indents aren't raised, they're indented, pushed in... So it's essentially saying something like "raised lowered". :P

Though I do know why it was used, describing things like that can be tricky, I've run into that numerous times myself. I suppose you could replace "raised indents" with "outdented" but that's not a very attractive word. Neither is "protruding"... But there must be an easy way to explain that without creating an oxymoron. Hmm... Thinking, thinking...

What about just "small boxes" or something like that? That's essentially what they look like, anyway. Or "raised rectangular boxes", being a bit more precise...

You are not being too picky! This the point of the thread! :)

I think that if we use something similar to small boxes, or raised boxes as @Blackwatch suggests that would be good!

22 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

raIsed surface features?  raised boxes?  

if you need a wide material that will bend I have made fabric hinges with three layers of fabric stitched at the edges, and I have also used 4" wide elastic. it is sold as mil spec elastic, but its just really wide elastic, and comes in colors like black and white 

I liked the "raised boxes" text and can perhaps make mention to it being similar to that on a stormtrooper belt.

• Like 1

How does this sound (purple underlined text is what was changed)?

Belt

• Belt front has two raised rectangular raised boxes offset from the middle of the belt.
    • There is another raised rectangular raised box that is to the outside edge of each of the two belt boxes towards the sides of the wearer.

• Like 1