Force Unleashed Jumptrooper Build!

Hey thanks guys! Feels good to be back on this stuff. Like I mentioned, the other projects are out of the way so full steam ahead on the Jumptrooper! I have to review the reference pics and models this weekend (it's been a while!) and I'll be getting a to-do list/plan together for this build. Still have a few things to figure out, but I'll start getting a CRL draft written up in the next couple weeks. :duim:

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Fivezero said:

Hey thanks guys! Feels good to be back on this stuff. Like I mentioned, the other projects are out of the way so full steam ahead on the Jumptrooper! I have to review the reference pics and models this weekend (it's been a while!) and I'll be getting a to-do list/plan together for this build. Still have a few things to figure out, but I'll start getting a CRL draft written up in the next couple weeks. :duim:

Yay!!!!!! I am so glad you are back bro! Hope all is well with you! I honestly have been thinking lately of Cannibalizing my current shadow trooper to turn it into one of these bad boys. I am just not sure how to even start the process.Cannibalizing my current shadow trooper to turn it into one of these bad boys. I am just not sure how to even start the process.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Scubacat said:

Yay!!!!!! I am so glad you are back bro! Hope all is well with you! I honestly have been thinking lately of Cannibalizing my current shadow trooper to turn it into one of these bad boys. I am just not sure how to even start the process.Cannibalizing my current shadow trooper to turn it into one of these bad boys. I am just not sure how to even start the process.

Sounds great Torri! I planned to make you a kit, since I know we've been talking about this trooper for years. If you are cannibalizing your shadow you'll need the butt, kidney, ab plate (minus the cod), thighs, shins and the hand plates. It's basically the same layout as a Stormtrooper-style build with a couple extra bits and a jetpack.

That's the next thing on the list for me is getting some leg armor and a kidney plate. Gotta do some research since it's been so long since I've bought a proper kit... :P

23 hours ago, Fivezero said:

Sounds great Torri! I planned to make you a kit, since I know we've been talking about this trooper for years. If you are cannibalizing your shadow you'll need the butt, kidney, ab plate (minus the cod), thighs, shins and the hand plates. It's basically the same layout as a Stormtrooper-style build with a couple extra bits and a jetpack.

That's the next thing on the list for me is getting some leg armor and a kidney plate. Gotta do some research since it's been so long since I've bought a proper kit... :P

Got it! I will be sure to keep the pieces. I think if I remember correctly, Am has larger armor. I don’t really know now a days though. If you need my number or anything you bro let me know :) I am so excited about his coming back to life. I had put together some foam pieces before just to see the layout of the armor and it looked pretty cool. :) 

• Like 1

Alright, so got everything dug out and laid out the other day, and had the realization that the hard stuff is done. Now it's just assembly and paint. :teehee:

oDfe4q5.jpg

So got my plan together for this build and started getting some material to put this thing together!

0lkOrl8.jpg

So here's what I did for the jetpack and how it attaches to the back plate. Basically sandwiched some straps between a couple pieces of aluminum. Had a few different ideas for the harness, and ended up going with a couple simple straps like a backpack. Finally finished off the back plate with some edge trim, so now it's ready for paint!

If anyone noticed, I had made two back plates. One stays flat for the jetpack, while the other one will have the center cut out and an insert with correct detail glued in. This one will be for the CRL/whenever I'm trooping without the jetpack.

wZ5I9dO.jpg

RXehmKc.jpg

A63K0qH.jpg

Then moved on to the knee plates. Got the holes drilled out, backed it up with some plastic and glued the trim on the outside, now they're ready for paint!

50uC3l0.jpg

6pDQDsD.jpg

Here's the chest plate too, basically just glued the center plate on. Ran out of edge trim, so couldn't get that on...

szFQMp8.jpg

Also made up a pouch, but I'm not very pleased with it. Going to try a couple different things on the next pouch and see if that turns out better.

4KDEZXT.jpg

And finally turned some white elastic gray, just used some extremely diluted gray acrylic paint and brushed it on. This is the big strap going around the arms for the shoulder bells.

D3p0kFJ.jpg

• Like 2

So here's what I've been working on through out the week! Got the holes cut out in the shoulder and backed them up with plastic just like the knee plates. I made up some shoulder straps too! Decided I would cast with a urethane rubber so made up a mold real quick. Edge trim showed up so I finished up the chest plate. Finally started priming everything today! I plan to get the chest, back and kneeplates painted tomorrow. I've got little bit more to do on the shoulders, but they should be getting primed and painted tomorrow. Also planning to play around with the pouches more tomorrow, hopefully get two good ones made up.

uXSmzIm.jpg

FxwnW5s.jpg

s2Uo2ic.jpg

AnKpRn9.jpg

EKTuG6H.jpg

kt5EjOP.jpg

LFTcY3K.jpg

VUppieM.jpg

• Like 2

How about another update? Finished painting the armor I had primed.

fFOBWLu.jpg?1

Then I spent most of the weekend working on the shoulder bells. Looking at my reference pics, there's a pretty healthy lip around the whole thing. So I layered some plastic and cut/sanded it smooth to the edges. Finished it off with some spot putty then primed and painted them.

XndopRq.jpg

LIR2JKU.jpg

9pSb68B.jpg

Also made up a new pouch prototype (new one on the right), liked how this one turned out so I made another!

pZ6gkNk.jpg

62JUiSv.jpg

Did some work to the jetpack, getting it cleaned up and touching up a few things. Somehow I missed a white strap going around the back side, so glued that in real quick.

cwtXqLN.jpg

Also ordered some casting resin, gotta make a couple more helmets. :teehee:

fWOsx70.jpg

Also made up a mold for the belt face boxes. Again took a look at the model and the boxes have an angle on them, so since I'm not happy with my belts anyway....

gQtls03.jpg

EQjIdeW.jpg

Finally cast a couple sets of flexible shoulder straps!

pTL6P5H.jpg

Also I should have some armor parts on the way! Spoke with Rob from Imperial Issue and he made up a 2" canvas belt for this build and that is on its way as well! I started getting my reference pictures together in one spot, so I'll be posting those soon as well as a CRL draft. We're getting there!

• Like 3

Looks amazing as always Ty! Your build are always awesome to watch! I hope that I have start making a few parts, but might have a possible herniated disk going on in between my t10 and t11 from work. Going into week 5 with it. 

• Like 1

Thanks Torri! Shoot, hope you're doing all right! Sent you a PM, got a helmet made up last night.

So here's the progress from the last couple days. As I was writing the CRL draft, noticed one of the pouches was bigger. So made another pouch...

Lc87tYr.jpg

Forgot to take pictures, but made up a new belt face forming buck and vacuum formed it yesterday. And then I painted the belt face and the cod plate.

xlZueQ9.jpg

And realized I didn't have any belt screw covers, so popped one off of my Nova belt and made a mold.

FirvURI.jpg

Also got a tracking number for the TK parts, should be here tomorrow!

• Like 1

So got the parts on Monday, been awhile since I've gotten a box of armor! :teehee: Started trimming and getting the straps made up. The torso is basically all put together now. Started strapping the shoulder and biceps this morning. And the big task for today is getting the leg armor together!

hO6yXVj.jpg

l9NoHTQ.jpg

7qIX3Vu.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, thanks @Blackwatch! I don't mind the simple molds, they're pretty easy, but the big jacket molds for helmet those I hate doing! As for material, I use a localish company here in Michigan, Specialty Resin. Never had a problem with any of their products and they have a simple catalog (i.e. one type of silicone mold rubber, basically choose the durometer, same for the casting resins) . They're also about an hour and a half away, so I usually get everything next day. :duim:

So anyway, how about an update? Got the shins and thighs together and started forming the shin ammo belt. Also glued some extra plastic to give it some depth (yes those are artillery shells that I'm using to hold the belt's shape). Still needs some work before I call it done and mount it.

3yIDTXA.jpg

H4wuWRE.jpg

So here's the progress on the thighs. Got them glued together and started to mark them to trim the unique cut on the Jumptrooper thighs. And then I cut them!

uTYPjIE.jpg

GgGpSWZ.jpg

The front cover strips, in addition to being wider, are much thicker than standard cover strips, so I layered some spare plastic together to build up the thickness. This is actually about a 1/4" thinner than what the 3D model measures at, but anything more and it looked goofy. I'm happy with how it turned out.

AZKVa9G.jpg

After that it was on to the rear cover strip, nothing crazy here.

iGBHx8d.jpg

After that, the side ridges... Again not too bad, but had to slightly deviate again from what the game shows. The model shows the ridge meeting in the center of the sharp point of the bottom ridge. But the model shape is not exactly the same shape as real armor, so I moved it back and instead preserved the spacing so it sits at just about 90° from the front.

7JTavcG.jpg

And finally, went out and got some epoxy putty (JB Weld) to clean up the sides of the front cover strip and blend the side ridges to the bottom ridge.

ckj3oVO.jpg

I'm getting there, but still have plenty to do! Going to try to get it together enough for a quick photo this weekend!:duim:

• Like 1

So this happened...

mic1isW.jpg

First test fit! Gotta add some more straps to keep the chest plate in check. Forearms need a little more massaging, bit too tight for me to get my hands in/out. Right thigh needs a little help and the expected shins rotating (just a little Velcro after I get the boots together to fix that). Overall though, it felt great! LOVE the mobility in the arms, way comfier than regular TK arms. Still got lots to do, but I'm getting there. :duim:

• Like 3

Alright cruising along, getting the final details added. Mounted the shin ammo belt this weekend and glued on some cover strips today. Painted the ab buttons, added the belt and glued on the belt buttons. Finally got the shoulder straps out, glued some plastic on the underside to give them some rigidity. They're ready to paint now!

1kTWm2W.jpg

XLiC0Rg.jpg

Tomorrow - I plan to get the thighs and shoulder straps painted and I have some light filler work to do on the shin belt.

Thursday - Paint the shin ammo belt/cover strip.

Friday - Chest armor. Mount the chest tube, get the hose inlets together and painted, and cut the hoses to length and paint accordingly.

Sat/Sun - Boots, we'll see how it goes. :P Maybe get some knee plates mounted on the shins too.

Next week - Weathering, weathering and more weathering.

• Like 2

Here's a quick update, so close now. :P Aside from a little clean up and some weathering, the boots are done!

HSr5Qkw.jpg

Painted the thighs and they are ready to go!

ZoGp3Ir.jpg

The shins belt was giving me some issues, still have a little more filling but should have it painted tomorrow.

Ar6f6JG.jpg

Finally got the chest plate together. Going to repaint the hose ports, not crazy about that gray.

nzTnGpb.jpg

Only a few things left to do!

• Mount small black plate on ab armor.
  • Paint shin ammo belt.
  • Attach knee plates.
  • A few touch-ups on the jet pack.
  • Start weathering!
  • Start taking CRL photos this weekend hopefully. :teehee:
  • Like 2

Well after struggling with the shins all week, they're finally done. Never had something so stubborn to not get painted. The paint job still isn't perfect, but it's good enough... First the primer cracked the spot putty, then the paint had a reaction with the paint. So had to strip it back to bare plastic, broke out the real filler and redid the ammo belt. Finally was able to get some paint on it Friday night.

2niFPDL.jpg

O4gOu0o.jpg

Then I accidentally knocked my forearms off the bench. Yep, never doing 3D printed armor again...  These are getting molded and I'm casting new ones after the CRL is done. But they're repaired and ready to go (again)!

DfO4vPX.jpg

woDNVcO.jpg

V5XFaW3.jpg

Next big project is getting my second back plate ready with the rectangular details in the middle.

kpyqzzM.jpg

r2cJxWT.png

Oh yeah, almost forgot, got the armor weathered yesterday. :P Still have to do the jetpack after I finish touching it up. Gonna start taking CRL pics this week!

DaPMQQG.jpg

• Like 3

this looks really good.  I know what you mean about the filler, im having issues with my scout back plate filler cracking just from putting the darn thing on. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welp, here's a quick update. Got the second back plate together and weathered. I finished up the jetpack touch ups and got that weathered. Finally spent a couple hours taking CRL photos today. Still have to do the full suit-up pics, but all of the individual part pics are done. :duim:

vYUQBKK.jpg

pXmGXz0.jpg

Wi3B8VY.jpg

ESEPVKV.jpg

• Like 3