TFU Shadow Stormtrooper #2

I tried hooking the strip up to a 9v battery, which worked pretty good. It was slightly dimmer than all those AA batteries. Also, I came across this battery while looking around the other day.

battery.jpg

My only concern might be size and especially weight (probably wouldn't be as bad as I'm thinking). I lifted a battery like it, but was designed for those little motorized jeeps for kids, and that sucker weighed a ton. However I don't think this will be anywhere near as bad.

Anyways, the armor I have is currently primed and ready for some paint (once I decide what I want to do with the paint).

And I may have something worked out to get the rest of the parts in clear plastic :) I've also found a frosted glass spray paint to help disperse the lights from the LED's, so I might be trying that out soon.

I'd recommended you not use the "Power Wheel" battery. Did you check a custom battery store like Batteries Plus? They can make a battery with all the properties you need! They made my friend's Airsoft Gun Battery, and it's awesome!.

Well that's an interesting place! Thanks for that! Looks like there's one not too far from where I live either, hmm......

And I wasn't going to use the Power Wheels battery, it was too heavy and chunky. The lantern battery I figured would be lighter, but still seems to be pretty big to hide in my backplate.

So many options and things to think about.....

So did some more messing around with the lighting (but now on the helmet!). Here's what it is looking like so far:

DSCF0008-1.jpg

I wish it was a bit brighter (I was using a 9v battery, which is slightly dimmer). Also I was messing around with my Medic bucket, so everything wasn't in the ideal place for the LED strip. But overall it gave me a good idea of where the lenses need to be placed to help position the LEDs better.

I did some messing around with the frown too but couldn't get any pics since the strip is pretty much dead from my abuse of twisting and bending it into various shapes.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been kind of stuck doing research for this thing; clear plastic, lights and paint.

Scootch has been helping me test out PETG for the clear armor, so far hasn't gone so well, but it's testing so what can you do. We're going to try some thinner pieces to hopefully resolve the issues.

Lighting has been figured out as well, just need to place an order for the LEDs. But I'll probably hold off on that until the plastic situation is figured out and I have the armor pieces.

Finally been trying to figure out the paint colors. I think I've figured out what I want for the silvery color on the armor, still need to test some paints for the other grayer color.

DSCF0019-1.jpg

I'm leaning to the one on the right. It's a little darker, glossier, smoother and cheaper than the one on the left. I've also decided I'm going to go a totally different route than Crazas with the paint job, mostly because the darker gray is not quite as dark as the unlighted version. The paint scheme is also different, the helmet (for example) is one solid color.

Soon, very soon...

Fivezero

:D

I'd stick with the darker gray that Crazas went with. I really think the change in appearance of the color is just from the way the lighting in the game was rendered. You can also use the colors in the SW Encyclopedia as a supporting reference as well.

-iz

• 4 months later...

Well I have a small update on this.

Thermal Detonator Tubing...

44017p.jpg

Unfortunately I had to order 6 feet of it, and I need 7 inches... If anyone wants some feel free :lol:

Stupid 6 foot minimum order...

Anyway TD is almost done (though I will likely use the white parts from my EVO build leftovers), needs some paint and lights (which are on the way)! biggrin.gif

SzYarEZ.jpg

Oh and acrylic pipe smells like garlic bread when you cut it... huh.gif

I have found a solution to my energy woes...

In this battery is all I need... wink.gif

DSCF0005-2-1.jpg

Anyway I was looking through the batteries at my local hardware and stumbled upon this little 12v marvel while I looked for a watch battery, weird how things work out. smile.gif

I also had a very nice, little package waiting for me when I got home from a troop today.

The LED strips inside allowed me to do this!

VYzYerm.jpg

I'm going to obviously diffuse the light before it's finished and wrap the strips a little better on the finished product.

Oh and Darth, I'll send you a PM later about the tube. :thumbsup:

This is going to be awesome when I'm done!biggrin.gif

Oh shoot I forgot I was going to put a For Sale thread up about the tubing. Give me a couple days and something will go up for you guys! :D

Oh and I have plenty tubing to go around so no fighting... ;)

• 4 months later...

Hi! I used to work on this....

So was bored today after I got all the work done on the EVO helmet, so worked on this a little.

Adjusted LEDs in the Detonator, made the "spiral" better to reduce the hotspots showing through. Ended up getting a tighter "spiral" with the LEDs by cutting 9 of them out. One of them decided to unspiral when I took the pic. :6: Going to pick up some diffuser film eventually to help spread the light further and figure out a way to fuse the spirals together to keep them in place better.

DSCF00083.jpg

Started strapping everything. Really only got the kidney and butt together along with the cut cod on the ab plate. :confused:

DSCF00052.jpg

Finally started repairing the belt from my Darktrooper to use it for this thing. Had a couple cracks to fix and reinforce.

DSCF0006.jpg

Nothing too crazy in terms of progress. Hopefully get this (and my other builds) finished this summer.

Fivezero

:D