Imperial Security Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

Yes , I believe so. Weve allotted plenty of time for further comment and discussion.

Back V 2.2 (Final) 

Back plate is painted to match the chest armor and helmet. The back plate to box should appear seamless.

Back plate has a collar that extends upwards and tapers to the chest plate. The collar stands 1'-1.5" (25mm-30mm)tall

Chest and back plate meet at the sides. The front overlaps the back plate. The back plate dips below the back horizontal edge to meet the dip of the front armor plate. 

There are 2 hose connectors located at the top of the back plate approximately centered above each rectangular cut out/greeblie.

The hose connectors are angled forward.

There is a 1" (25mm) recessed circle on top of and to the wearer's right of the right hose connector. 

The upper half of the back has two large cut out recesses. Each recess has eight symmetrical rectangular vent details and various greeblies inside.

Four raised bars approximately .375" (10mm) long aligned to the top of the recessed box opening may be present.

Each recess has different and specific set of greeblies inside that are painted to match the the rest of the armor. 

Left side recess has a rectangle shape greeblie with an angled right side end with five panels.
The first left panel has a tube on top that runs up the left side and across the top of the recess.
On the right side a heat sink is fitted. A heatsink modeled from a MSI DDR Chipset 38X38mm heatsink is most accurate. 

Right side recess has a long thin strip with 17 teeth, extending from the left edge to approximately 5/16"-3/8" (10m-14mm) from the right edge. This is located directly below the doulbe row of rectangular vents. 
Below it is a rectangle shape greeblie consisting of two parts.
The left part is flat, the center is three rows of 7 oblong depressions and the right part features a hose connector greeblie. 
The left side has a raised "vent" in which the far left 1/3 is flat, followed by a thin line recess and 7X3 rows of oblong-shaped indents.
The right side has a circular type hose connector

There are 5 tapered vents on the lower sides of the backpack. These vents are present on the left and right.

Bottom left features a smaller rectangle cut out with the left side stepped. 

Half circle indent detail beneath the backpack section must be present.

There is an oblong greeblie centered below the two large recesses. The greeblie is aproximately 1/8"-3/16" (4.5-5) mm tall and 1 1/4" (30mm) long.

There is a small  1/4" (5mm) diameter) raised circular greeblie centered aproximately 7/8" below the oblong greeblie. The bottom of the circular greeblie is in line with the top of the small rectangular cutout on the lower left side of the backpack.

There is a raised slot on each shoulder for the straps to fit into. 

Shoulder straps are black and are affixed to the chest plate at the buckle.

Moderate weathering to depict the Rix Road incident is permitted and must match reference images. 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

There is a recessed hole approximately .31" (7.8mm) above the top left corner of the left recessed box.
There are two indented squares approximately 1⁄4" x 1⁄4" (5mm x 5mm) aligned vertically above the right upper corner of the left recessed box.

There is a stepped ledge at the bottom of the main back box.

Moving on to the shoulders and biceps. We did not fully understand how these were constructed when we wrote the Aldhani trooper, now we know .  We can modify, and set 1 piece for L1 and 2 part split for L2.

Additions and new text in green. Removals in red. 

Shoulder Armor — Version Two
  • Each shoulder bell is a mirror image of the other.
  • The detailing of each shoulder bell is asymmetrical.
  • Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor.
  • Shallow grooves are present in a pattern matching the photo.
  • Shoulders are painted to match the armor and helmet.
  • Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a bracket and 1" (25.4mm) or 1.25" (40mm) webbing strap.
  • Optional rank stripes located on the left shoulder may be present. The stripes are painted on. The white stripe is approximately 1" (25mm" wide bordered by a black stripe approximately 5⁄16" (6.5mm) wide. The stripes may be semi gloss to gloss in color.

Biceps — Version Two

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.

Biceps are painted to match the armor and helmet.

For basic approval the bicep may be a single piece. 

Biceps are a split design and held together by an invisible fastener. 

23 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Moving on to the shoulders and biceps. We did not fully understand how these were constructed when we wrote the Aldhani trooper, now we know .  We can modify, and set 1 piece for L1 and 2 part split for L2.

• Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor.
  • Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a bracket and 1" (25.4mm) or 1.25" (40mm) webbing strap.
  • Optional rank stripes located on the left shoulder may be present. The stripes are painted on. The white stripe is approximately 1" (25mm" wide bordered by a black stripe approximately 5⁄16" (6.5mm) wide. The stripes may be semi gloss to gloss in color.

Biceps — Version Two

Looks pretty good to me.  Jason will be the one to add to for this one though...

On 8/15/2023 at 2:37 PM, Blackwatch said:

Biceps — Version Two

Not much to say. I looks pretty much as it is. 

• Like 1

its been about five days so lets look at cleaning this up:

Version 1.1 

Shoulder Armor 

•  
  • Biceps 

We have this much left to go:

• Gloves
  • Belt
  • Boots
  • E-10.5 Blaster
  • Radio backpack
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

its been about five days so lets look at cleaning this up:

Version 1.1 

Shoulder Armor 

•  
  • Biceps 

We have this much left to go:

• Gloves
  • Belt
  • Boots
  • E-10.5 Blaster
  • Radio backpack

Sounds good.  One thing I’d add to the list of “left to go” is the baton, which I feel should be a mandatory accessory (unless prohibited by law). Also maybe add the riot shield as optional.   Every single trooper has a baton whether wearing armor or not.  I do not believe any carry the E-10, save for possibly the trooper with the backpack.  Can’t remember though.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, Blackwatch said:

Im modding my jim tripon armor I bought off Andy to add the collar, and I agree the seperation is there.

Lol. I didn't realize you bought that from him. I'll have to dig up the list of fixes I sent him a while back. The pics I keep posting of the mismatched chest and back are his also, but I made sure he didn't care before I posted them. Regardless, I've been away for a while, so let's get back on track:

On 8/23/2023 at 7:56 AM, Blackwatch said:

Shoulders should have a longer flat edge that covers top of bicep with a shorter flat edge that connects to chest armor.

Something about this sounds confusing. There's no true "flat edge" on the shoulders. The bottom and top are both more convex than flat and the lower sides are both symmetrically sized. Flat kind of implies a very straight appearance that would fit awkwardly with the rest of the armor if applied. Again, not endorsing any particular armor, nor do we write CRLs based on available armor, but I want to post a picture of my shoulder just to illustrate the convex curvature of the shoulder piece:

YfPAHsS.jpg

Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a bracket and 1" (25.4mm) or 1.25" (40mm) webbing strap.

If we make the "bracket" a basic approval requirement, we'll be the first to do so. Here's another picture:

2dYDG4N.jpg

When you hear "bracket" associated with the shoulder of any Anthology/ Disney+ costume, this is what they're talking about. This is from my TK and it was actually installed backwards to get it to fit my Jimmiroquai armor. Also, now that I look at it, I also installed the elastic that holds the shoulder bell in place on the wrong side; it should be on top, but at least I'm giving you a good pic of the bracket.

We saw this on the Shoretrooper, TK, Muddy and ICAT, but we're only assuming it's present on the Ferrix armor as well, so I'd suggest eliminating it until we have something definitive.

Regarding the width of the strapping, the above listed costumes all had 2" heavy duty elastic holding on the shoulders, so I'm not sure why we're asking for 1" or 1.25" webbing in this case. If this were the FOTK, we'd be making an argument for two 1" straps and a different style bracket:

HJQIeIz.jpg

So those are the only shoulder brackets we know of.

I know this is how the Shoretrooper CRL is written, but let's consider revising it. The reason why is because I've seen several vendors supply costumers with two pieces of ABS and say "those are your cover strips." The cover strips are beveled on all four edges, and that top strip in more recessed into the bottom than sitting on top. Again, I hate posting pictures of other trooper armor, but it's the same piece and this is a good shot:

06fxPLh.jpg

So, keep this in mind and look at this pic:

v0OMdnP.jpg

Yes, it's small and blurry, but when you take the two pics and combine what we know, you get a very distinct shape on the cover strips. Additionally, for those opting for the two part construction in level two, I think it's worth mentioning that the biceps are intended to have an opening that remains flexible, meaning that the bicep can stretch open a little bit when you're wearing it. This is why they used the stretchy framilon or Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) cord to keep it closed in the anthology movies. Please note the verbiage used in the ROTK CRL for this same piece:

• Cover strips will cover both the front and back joints.
  • Biceps are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.

"Shock Cord" and "bungee" simply refer to the framilon cordage. That wording needs to be revised.

Also worth noting is how the cover strips are designed to cover the clam shell seams. Finally, is it worth noting the ridge on the outer edge of the bicep armor?

4hrMh4d.jpg

This is not a cover strip, but has the same general appearance without the "top strip." Unfortunately, I've seen peeps walking around without this on some costumes.

Lastly, since it's been discussed previously, should we afford the option for costumers to wear only the outer bicep armor? We've already posted the pics, and while I personally feel it was reserved for stunt actors and those moving around a lot, we can't deny it:

l7yg8SD.jpg

I don't like it, nor do I believe it's the intended appearance of the costume, but we have several troopers doing it on screen... just saying.

I will revise it and post it later on.  Personally, I am going to err on the side of "the GML who is brand new and needs a guide to go by for L1 approval" I believe we can get so hyper dialed in on super specific details that people will not be approved.  Ive seen it happen in the past. Im 57 years old, ive done a ton of things in my life, and Ive never heard of "familon cordage".  That is so specific it can lead to rejection at the L1 level. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

I will revise it and post it later on.  Personally, I am going to err on the side of "the GML who is brand new and needs a guide to go by for L1 approval" I believe we can get so hyper dialed in on super specific details that people will not be approved.  Ive seen it happen in the past. Im 57 years old, ive done a ton of things in my life, and Ive never heard of "familon cordage".  That is so specific it can lead to rejection at the L1 level. 

No. Framilon is just a UK brand name of the stretchy cords they used. It’s nothing more than TPU filament. Any kind of closure that keeps one side closed (Velcro for example) and the back side flexible (elastic, TPU, rubber bands etc.), should be good for a level 2 requirement. For basic, I’m all for what we have listed, but would also offer the option for half the “clam shell” bicep since we see that on screen. 
However, I don’t think the props department intended for the half bicep to be seen; that’s just us digging.

I'm headed out on a two week cruise tomorrow, so I am going to jump the gun, so to speak, on a few of the items and add my thoughts just in case they are looked at while I am gone.

Gloves - These are too easy.  They are the Dent gloves used on the Aldhani Trooper.

Belt -  Belt Boxes are painted Black/Anthracite.  The belt itself lends to a feature I have not been able to find an image of as a reference.  There is some kind of loop/fastener on it which holds the baton so that the baton is angled forward.  This is obvious in most all photos where the baton is "holstered".  There must be some form of simple loop, but again, I have not seen any image that shows it at all.

Boots - German Navy boots.  I am sure Jason will touch on this one as well.  These are NOT German jack boots.  These boots are post WWII in style.  They are shorter.  Most of the boot replica makers (crow props, etc.) make the wrong height for these.  They are much shorter, going up only mid-calf.  They have a flap and buckle on the side, and perforations on the front.  Leather of course, but that would be L2, as would having original boots.

E-11, I touched on this one.  I don't think any used it at all.  It was all straight up batons.  The black series figure comes with an E11, but that is an anomaly.  While if someone want to troop with a blaster, I don't see that as an issue, but I wouldn't add it in any way to the CRL.

-Back pack - This is worn with the soft uniform only, and I don't believe we have a shot that includes the entire backpack.  The only images I see show about 30-40% of it, and it includes some kind of CB radio mike, and it appears to also have an old army TA-50 frame that the pack mounts on.  Honestly though, there is just not enough to include this imho.  That is, unless it was used on Aldhani and I overlooked that.

Riot Shields - I think we should add this as an optional item.  

On 9/1/2023 at 11:27 AM, NoZoupForYou said:

I'm headed out on a two week cruise tomorrow, so I am going to jump the gun, so to speak, on a few of the items and add my thoughts just in case they are looked at while I am gone.

E-11, I touched on this one.  I don't think any used it at all.  It was all straight up batons.  The black series figure comes with an E11, but that is an anomaly.  While if someone want to troop with a blaster, I don't see that as an issue, but I wouldn't add it in any way to the CRL.

znPMTMH.jpg

The trooper in the Hotel has one, so at least one Trooper has the option ;) 

On 9/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, Detaleader said:

znPMTMH.jpg

The trooper in the Hotel has one, so at least one Trooper has the option ;) 

Interesting thing about this trooper is that he's not wearing armor, so with respect to the version we're discussing, I'm not sure if this one counts. I believe this guy is in the same uniform as backpack guy, so I think maybe a different trooper. 

However, we did a version 1 and 2 for Aldhani, so maybe this is the same situation. I think we'd have to look closer at the complete costume to make that decision. Do we have any full-body shots of these guys?

I might have to watch Rix Road again, which isn't a bad thing at all. Every time I've gone through the scenes, I've been fixated on the armored up security troopers; this might be a fun little side project.

On 9/5/2023 at 1:35 PM, BigJasoni said:

Interesting thing about this trooper is that he's not wearing armor, so with respect to the version we're discussing, I'm not sure if this one counts. I believe this guy is in the same uniform as backpack guy, so I think maybe a different trooper. 

However, we did a version 1 and 2 for Aldhani, so maybe this is the same situation. I think we'd have to look closer at the complete costume to make that decision. Do we have any full-body shots of these guys?

I might have to watch Rix Road again, which isn't a bad thing at all. Every time I've gone through the scenes, I've been fixated on the armored up security troopers; this might be a fun little side project.

Greetings from somewhere off the coast of Nova Scotia.   I’d say the version one would be the fully armored.  Version two would be soft only and they’d be the only ones permitted an E11 if we go down that route.  Again though… soft goods and backpack guy are going to be tough due to a lack of reference images. 

Ive had a number of real life issues to work my way through and this is my first time coming back into the forum. 

The unarmored troopers are defintely in the rear (remfs). 

I printed my bicep for ICAT and a flexible unit would be easier to move in. 

Here is  the current text for Alhani troopers bicep:  

Biceps — Version Two

I have read, and re-read what Jason wrote and honestly Im getting lost in it. 

So, can someone put this in very simple words that I can understand because honestly Im not 'braining' these days. 

On 8/24/2023 at 12:52 PM, BigJasoni said:

I know this is how the Shoretrooper CRL is written, but let's consider revising it. The reason why is because I've seen several vendors supply costumers with two pieces of ABS and say "those are your cover strips." The cover strips are beveled on all four edges, and that top strip in more recessed into the bottom than sitting on top. Again, I hate posting pictures of other trooper armor, but it's the same piece and this is a good shot:

06fxPLh.jpg

So, keep this in mind and look at this pic:

v0OMdnP.jpg

Yes, it's small and blurry, but when you take the two pics and combine what we know, you get a very distinct shape on the cover strips. Additionally, for those opting for the two part construction in level two, I think it's worth mentioning that the biceps are intended to have an opening that remains flexible, meaning that the bicep can stretch open a little bit when you're wearing it. This is why they used the stretchy framilon or Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU) cord to keep it closed in the anthology movies. Please note the verbiage used in the ROTK CRL for this same piece:

• Cover strips will cover both the front and back joints.
  • Biceps are loosely held closed in the back with elastic, shock cord (bungee cord) or white Velcro and are designed to remain flexible.

"Shock Cord" and "bungee" simply refer to the framilon cordage. That wording needs to be revised.

Also worth noting is how the cover strips are designed to cover the clam shell seams. Finally, is it worth noting the ridge on the outer edge of the bicep armor?

4hrMh4d.jpg

This is not a cover strip, but has the same general appearance without the "top strip." Unfortunately, I've seen peeps walking around without this on some costumes.

Lastly, since it's been discussed previously, should we afford the option for costumers to wear only the outer bicep armor? We've already posted the pics, and while I personally feel it was reserved for stunt actors and those moving around a lot, we can't deny it:

l7yg8SD.jpg

On 9/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, BigJasoni said:

You can see the guys taking off their hats and putting on armor in Rix Road: 

kPzIkUC.jpg

Based on that, I think it is reasonable to say it's the same trooper with accessories/versions, like Aldhani. Say for example Ver 1 being Armor + Helmet, ver 2 being soft goods, etc. 

@Blackwatch Hope things are better for you soon! 

Im going to take a stabbity stab at this and see if this makes sense:

Biceps — Version Two

For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted. 

Cover strips may be up to 1/8" (2.5mm) thick and beveled on all four sides.

Cover strips will cover the front and back joints.  

OPTIONAL: Level Two:

Biceps are two piece design, with the halves held together in the back by flexible cord, and shall remain flexible. 

On 9/13/2023 at 8:25 AM, Blackwatch said:

Ive had a number of real life issues to work my way through and this is my first time coming back into the forum. 

The unarmored troopers are defintely in the rear (remfs). 

I printed my bicep for ICAT and a flexible unit would be easier to move in. 

Here is  the current text for Alhani troopers bicep:  

Biceps — Version Two

I have read, and re-read what Jason wrote and honestly Im getting lost in it. 

So, can someone put this in very simple words that I can understand because honestly Im not 'braining' these days. 

David,

When real life gets in the way, you take care of it. This silly little costuming club doesn't come close to taking care of the things that actually matter in life. Plus, guilty as charged: you posted this eleven days ago and I'm just now replying, so with that said, let me address your draft and explain what I'm thinking.

1. For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted: Absolutely. Some of the best looking options are one piece and I think this is what the armor is intended to appear as.

2. Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top: This is where I think it gets a little tricky. The top strip does not simply sit on top of the lower; it's inset to the lower cover strip. Again, I point back to the reference photos I posted earlier, but if you all feel they're not definitive enough, I yield.
v0OMdnP.jpg

ucQfKos.jpg
As an example of what I'm talking about, here's mine.

3. Cover strips may be up to 1/8" (2.5mm) thick and beveled on all four sides.  Agreed, kind of. The strips are actually thicker than 1/8"; they're closer to being a little over 1/2", which you can see in this picture:
l7yg8SD.jpg
Also, maybe we shouldn't use the word "thick" because that kind of insinuates the width of the strips. The strips are approximately 23.5mm wide (just under 1" but proportionate to the wearer's arm of course) and cover strips run the entire height of the bicep in order to to cover the seam. I do think it's pretty definitive that they're beveled on all four sides, which is important when it's time to trim armor.

4. Cover strips will cover the front and back joints. Agreed. See comment above.

5. Biceps are painted to match the armor and helmet. Yup.

6. Biceps are two piece design, with the halves held together in the back by flexible cord, and shall remain flexible. Agreed. But since the cordage is unseen, I'd even venture to allow for any flexible medium, i.e. elastic as long as it remains unseen. But... a person can pick up a few strands of TPU pretty easily. I'd even gladly send some to people if it makes life easier.

zE0gL3B.jpg
Here's another example.

Now, with the two piece requirement out there for level 2, what are our thoughts on allowing just the outer clam shell as seen by the various "stunt" troopers we spoke about earlier? Again, I don't think it was anyone's intent for the single shell to be caught on camera, but rather the appearance is intended to present a complete set of bicep armor. However, we do see the single shell on screen a couple times. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im back. The last 9 days (ten ?Ive lost count the days are blurring) have been pretty bad.  Im hoping it gets back to something near 'normal' for us in the next week or so. 

ok, back to stabbity stab on this

Version 1.1

Biceps — Version Two

Biceps are two piece design, with the halves held together in the back by flexible cord, and shall remain flexible. 

Biceps — Version Two

For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted. The bicep may appear "open" or split as seen on screen. 

Cover strips will appear on the front and back, covering joints if present cover the front and back joints

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.  inset into the top of the bevel.

Cover strips may be up to 1/8" (2.5mm)  as thick as deep as  1/2" ( 12.7mm) and up to 7/8" (23.5mm) in width, beveled on all four sides.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

Im back. The last 9 days (ten ?Ive lost count the days are blurring) have been pretty bad.  Im hoping it gets back to something near 'normal' for us in the next week or so. 

ok, back to stabbity stab on this

Version 1.1

Biceps — Version Two

Biceps — Version Two

For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted. The bicep may appear "open" or split as seen on screen. 

Cover strips will appear on the front and back, covering joints if present cover the front and back joints

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip layer on top.  inset into the top of the bevel.

Cover strips may be up to 1/8" (2.5mm)  as thick as deep as  1/2" ( 12.7mm) and up to 7/8" (23.5mm) in width, beveled on all four sides.

I know what you mean.  I was preparing for a shutdown that didn’t happen lol.  This looks good from my end.  

• Like 1

Thanks Sean

Ok so lets clean this up

Proposal v.2

Bicep

For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted. The bicep may appear "open" or split as seen on screen. 

Cover strips will appear on the front and back, covering joints if present.

Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip inset into the top of the bevel.

Cover strips may be as deep as  1/2" ( 12.7mm) and up to 7/8" (23.5mm) in width, beveled on all four sides.

Biceps are two piece design, with the halves held together with hidden flexible cord, and shall remain flexible. 

its been a few days and no further input, Im going to lock this , and update the first page with the text as stated above. 

So, here is our Final for Shoulders and Biceps:

Shoulder Armor

• Shoulders are mounted to the shoulder strap via a 1" (25.4mm) up to 2" (50mm) webbing strap.

Bicep Armor

• For basic approval a one piece bicep is permitted. The bicep may appear "open" or split as seen on screen. 
  • Cover strips will appear on the front and back, covering joints if present.
  • Bicep cover strips are raised and beveled with an added strip inset into the top of the bevel.
  • Cover strips may be as deep as  1/2" ( 12.7mm) and up to 7/8" (23.5mm) in width, beveled on all four sides.
  • Biceps are painted to match the armor and helmet.
  • OPTIONAL: Level Two:
  • Biceps are two piece design, with the halves held together with hidden flexible cord, and shall remain flexible.