WEG Cannon Seatrooper Build

Ok, so half of the right shin has been moulded in plaster, we didn't manage to get to the other half, because the plaster isn't drying as fast due to the cold. We also silicone moulded the jet greeblie for the back of the shin armour, and cast out a few urethane copies.

th_ShinTurbines.jpg th_ShinTurbines5.jpg th_ShinTurbines2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Alright been a while since an update,

Backpack; sanded, filled, sanded and painting has begun.

Bells; Cut out, sanded, filled, sanded, and primed.

Right Shin; Moulded, should be ready for fiberglassing next week.

Left Shin; Building a rig to sculpt the taper accurately.

Shin Jets; Sanded, awaiting a little filling before painting.

Torso; Majority of the filling is done, will be sanding it back, then filling again I suspect, but it's getting there.

So we are getting there, hopefully we will have it ready for Melbourne Geddon in late October. Pictures of these efforts will be up soon :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates gang, been very busy of late with work and trying to get this costume finished in time.

The shins have both been moulded and the right shin has been fiberglassed. The Torso armour is almost completed, and the pelvis will be started soon. Sorry about the lack of photos, but with the deadline drawing ever closer, we haven't really been bothered taking photos as we go for the moment. Might just scrape it in, hopefully everything will be ready for painting by the end of the month.

• 9 months later...

Well, amongst many other things, I have been bullied into making a SeaTrooper.

here is my Tank at it's current stage. Still early days at the moment. The tank is a bit bigger than a standard hump, and has been designed as a direct replacement to the original hump without having to modify the back-plate.

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

Still got some small bit's of detailing to do I think, then it will be a case of filling, painting and then casting for a proper mould.

Those air canisters are empty, but are still relatively hefty. The whole thing is just shy of 600g.

The intention is, when complete, to cast the finished piece and then make them out of GRP. I'd estimate they should end up weighing 200-300g tops. You'll probably never even notice you've got it on.

The bit I can see being the most issue to wear will be the pipes attached to the helmet, going over the shoulders to the tank.

The bit I can see being the most issue to wear will be the pipes attached to the helmet, going over the shoulders to the tank.

It's not too bad. The trick I had with mine was deciding on having the hoses either too short or too long. I didn't want them hanging all over the place so kept them tighter. What this meant, though, is that the helmet had to remain more stationary and you'd just torso twist to look to each side. Think Royal Guard. Same concept.

Here's a couple of pics of the tank set up on my new backplate.

I think the size is pretty good. I can move the tank up a touch so the bottom of it sits directly along the bottom detail line of the back. The top then sits just shy of the neck aperture on the back.

IMG_0862.jpg

The perspective on this picture does make it look a little bigger than it is in real life.

here's a shot from the side, you can see what I mean about moving the tank up a touch.

I need to trim the sides of the tank body, so it sits flush with the back.

IMG_0861.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, been a while I know. I am still working on the project, but real life is leaving me with very little time to dedicate myself at the moment. The joys of no longer being a student... :( I know I say this every year, but I am hoping that in the new year I will have the time and the funds to be able to have this project completed.

• 1 month later...

An update;

So my partner in this build was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after my last post. He's since had it removed and is recovering well, but it will be a little while yet before we can get back to work. Hoping though that we will get the build finished quickly in the new year :) Just waiting for him to recover so we can continue.