WEG Cannon Seatrooper Build

You wouldn't need to make the forehead light removable behind your vents. Just turn it off for the official picture. :yes: When I first saw the reference picture and the rectangle on the forehead, I naturally assumed it was supposed to be an underwater light anyway, so how do the 501st CRL people know for certain it's not?

Yeah, I think that's what most people think, I did (and still do). It dosn't say specifically in the reference book what it is for, so I say it's a light. I think leaving it in and off will be fine, just don't know what colour the EL sheet stays when the light is off. It might clash too much with the paintjob and not match the reference... Waiting to receive my EL panel to find out about this.

I also used the cut down TS codpieces front and back because I was thinking of hip movement for swimming, if this had been a real-world dive rig. You couldn't have bigger armor cutting into your hip/groin area while trying to paddle your legs, like TK armor or Fett armor where it wraps around your waistline..

I'm custom sculpting my pelvis armour, going to have a life cast done to get a decent and accurate platform to get the shape of the armour right.

Awesome on the cod armor. For the forehead light, you could just put a piece of plastic in there (maybe even a dark plastic) and the light would be behind that. So it wouldn't show until you turned it on and would just look like a vent of sorts.

Wow! You're rocking a brainstorm now!

Just remember that in the end, it won't matter wha the CRL says. It'll be up to the LMOs comparing it to the reference pics.

-iz

True, but we can still do our own little twists on thing and still look like the reference pics. For example, the light in the forehead vent. Any costume with lights gets commented on by the crowd. As a Boba costumer, people typically mention my chest lights and jetpack light. I've seen TIE pilots with lights in their chestplates and left arm com pad, not even mentioning Vader, etc. Lights bring up the costume a bit, and since it's probably a fact the original drawing of the Seatrooper had what appeared to up an underwater light on his helmet (like real divers can use), it makes sense to add it.

I also think if the shin armor didn't have a knife, you could put a dive knife on your belt. The LMO should accept that based on reasons in earlier posts. It's kind of like how if a Sandtrooper costumer finds ANY type of old leather pouch and attaches it to their ammo belt, nobody says it's not the correct MODEL of old leather pouch. It still visibly looks like a Sandtrooper. :) They used a variety of old leather pouches on the movie suits. Divers always carry a knife. Same kind of thing, imo..

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's update time :)

Helmet is at 95% completion! Just needs a repaint, the spray gun started spraying unevenly and there were a few defects in the fiberglass that will need fixing, but if you ignore those, she looks fantastic in high gloss white! It's going to be sanded and repainted this week. Faceplate attachment is complete and a visor is being worked on.

Unfortunately though, due to a certain very large troop that we have coming up next weekend, I wasn't allowed to take photos of it painted. So we're just going to have to sit tight until next weekend :)

I also finished the prototype for the shin jets, so that's ready for moulding, the backpack is ready for moulding and the chest and back are very close to moulding too. Should be getting some TK bells to modify for moulds next week as well. Then it's just arms, shins, pelvis and some assorted soft goods left to do. Stay tuned :)

Me too. I've only seen it with the dodgy spray gun bits on it, but it still looked fantastic then. A friend is painting it for me and doing the visor as well since I have a dodgy week of work this week. This is all so the bucket is done before the Dreamworld troop :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, after a few days recovery after the largest troop in the southern hemisphere, and the best troop I've ever been to, I present some photos of my Seatrooper bucket! These photos were taken at the friday night mixer, and just about everyone who saw it said they loved it. We're still not happy with the paint (my sculpting and moulding tutor and myself) so for the final painting before the first approval shots when the costume is complete we will be taking the whole costume to an automotive painter.

Only bits that need to be fixed up are the sensor array, going to put a sheet behind that and paint the raised bits with Humbrol No. 5 Grey paint (same as a TKs teeth) and the gap inside between the edge of the faceplate and the body of the helmet, still working that one out. A custom visor will be made in transparent midnight blue polyurethane and mirror tinted. And the chin greebles still need to be sorted, but that is easy. Also, attached is a display hose, since it would be quite difficult to display the helmet with the backpack behind it (and I havn't finished the backpack). But the on costume hoses will be quite long (See first pic for a rough estimate of hose lengths).

So, without further ado, I present, my seatrooper bucket :)

th_MixerBucket1.jpg th_MixerBucket2.jpg th_MixerBucket3.jpg th_MixerBucket4.jpg

th_MixerBucket5.jpg th_MixerBucket6.jpg th_MixerBucket7.jpg th_MixerBucket8.jpg

Cheers to Seantrooper for the photography! That trooper knows how to handle a camera :)

It's so shiny... :D

@Rotccole: Yep Magnets do all the work :)

@Darth Emphatic: The whole way through the build, I've thought the shape was quite fitting of the costume, it looks like a little kid's drawing of a ship :P And yeah, now you mention it, I guess because it is so rounded at the back, it does look a little lego-esque. Might have to see about getting some mini-figs made one day :P

Cheers guys, really looking forward to finishing this now. Not long now :)