Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

On 4/13/2023 at 12:48 AM, TX-20113 said:

Looks ok, though I definitely don't know this kit well enough yet to be sure. Shall we start at the top and prepare some text for the helmet to kick off?

6 minutes ago, tipperaryred said:

Looks ok, though I definitely don't know this kit well enough yet to be sure. Shall we start at the top and prepare some text for the helmet to kick off?

I'd be in! 

Starting off with the front view of the helmet, a recap of our references so far.  I've put together the best of the screenshots and production photos on top, with some views of the Hot Toys and Kotobukiya ArtFX statues underneath for reference.  Straight away I can see the Hot Toys seems to be missing the vertical metallic greeblie below the teeth, although this is present on the ArtFX.  This aside, I can't see any other serious inconsistencies between the three sources?

1646428441_collagefront.thumb.jpg.27a654e42bfc0c31d2a027fab7f3dfd6.jpg

Similarly, I've put together the best of the side on screens and photos on top, with their statue counterparts underneath.  As far as I can tell, we never really get a good view of the left side of any of the Purge helmets in the show, so we may have to take it from the statues that they are indeed symmetrical.  The only clear difference that jumps out between the three sources is the ArtFX statue shows a much more obvious red colours recessed in the tusk stripes.  However, the red can definitely still be seen from certain angles both from the screen footage and the Hot Toys.

755520787_collageside.thumb.png.35dbb3b41ddc691427202455c9882c84.png

Finally, the back seems fairly straightforward.  Besides the divide between the top and bottom halves, and the continuation of the vertical grooves that can be seen on the front, there does not seem to be any other detail that needs mentioning.

1055889805_collageback.thumb.png.0caa6461e036f20b3004951989fef13d.png

• Thanks 1

And some draft text to go with that.  My first attempt writing one of these from scratch, so please call out anything that doesn't look right or needs adding.  I'm also calling a few elements by names that seem natural to me, but might be meaningless to other people, so give a shout if anything I'm trying to describe is unclear.

HELMET

• Gloss black in colour, consistent with the rest of the costume.

• Is in proportion to the rest of the costume.

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes.

• There is a matte black hexagonal front plate, with matte black greebles.

• Square profile side tusks run back from the lower edges of this front plate.

• Rectangular metallic silver greebles in the front of each side tusk.

• Six symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the recesses painted red.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with matte black in the recesses (OR cut out, backed with mesh?).

• Silver greeble on the nose, between the teeth and the front plate.

• Symmetrical recesses with greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear centre rim. The central ridge is considerable wider than the ridges either side of it.

• Top of the helmet separated from the face plate by horizontal ridge along the brow, and from the rear skirt of the helmet by a groove. Rear skirt of the helmet may be a separate part?

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators, range finders?) with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow ridge, in between the join between the top of the helmet and the rear skirt.

• OPTIONAL – top LED may be lit (must be white), bottom LED may be lit (must be red).

• Small double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear.

• Thanks 1

Hey Everyone! awesome to see this moving forward, one of my good friends actually got to be a storm trooper in Kenobi and had an opportunity to try on the screen used helmet and hold it in his hands, we've been working together on the most accurate helmet model to date for this helmet and we finally have it completed!! but never mind that.

one of the first things I wanted to say was that the top Led in the ear cap is actually orange and not white even though in some scenes it looks white its not. but the list is looking great. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 4/30/2023 at 3:42 AM, Kenyon said:

Hey Everyone! awesome to see this moving forward, one of my good friends actually got to be a storm trooper in Kenobi and had an opportunity to try on the screen used helmet and hold it in his hands, we've been working together on the most accurate helmet model to date for this helmet and we finally have it completed!! but never mind that.

one of the first things I wanted to say was that the top Led in the ear cap is actually orange and not white even though in some scenes it looks white its not. but the list is looking great. 

That's great, and if you are able to share any of your work on the helmet so far even better 🙂

I would certainly never have guessed orange from the screen! Was it your friend who confirmed that colour on set?

We're currently just finishing off the rewrite of the Phase 1 Electrostaff before we return here, as we already have builders assisting there. However if you or anyone else is building a Phase 2 and would like to assist, that would definitely speed up getting this CRL finished too 👍

• Like 1
21 hours ago, tipperaryred said:

That's great, and if you are able to share any of your work on the helmet so far even better 🙂

I would certainly never have guessed orange from the screen! Was it your friend who confirmed that colour on set?

We're currently just finishing off the rewrite of the Phase 1 Electrostaff before we return here, as we already have builders assisting there. However if you or anyone else is building a Phase 2 and would like to assist, that would definitely speed up getting this CRL finished too 👍

Yeah I can get some pics of the helmet model in a minute, we've been working on it for about three months now as there's so many small details that haven't been noticed by anyone that he let me know about the helmet. but also yes he confirmed the top led was orange and the bottom was red. the camera just made it look white in some angles.

he said the purge actor was awesome and one day on set the actor let him hold his blaster and my friend said without even thinking he said can I try on the purge helmet, and the actor said yeah but lets go somewhere more private (as only he was supposed to have the helmet on) so he took my friend and two other troopers somewhere and let them hold and try on the helmet!

My friend who was on set and I are both building the armor and i have my top torso done with the chest led installed and he's waiting to start until we get a CRL but we are both using my new Resin Helmet Casts for ours. I Know of one other guy that's building the armor but he's using some helmet files that he tried and modified but they aren't 100% screen accurate so maybe my model can help resolve that problem!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello fellow Purge Trooper builders, I know it's been pretty quiet in this forum, but I'm hoping that's about to change. I've spent the better part of 8 months building out a full set of armor and too many hours to count in researching every possible source I could find. I know a few of you have been along for that journey in the Purge Trooper Facebook group, but now that I'm an official 501st member and Sec Ops trooper, I wanted to work with everyone to officially outline the CRL requirements here. I've connected with tipperaryred and nanotek and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you join the discussion. I saw a format that was used by nanotek (if you don't mind) for another top down CRL that I thought could work best for us. I'll copy that example below and if we think this is a great way to start, we can modify the areas to align to our Purge Trooper build. After all, why reinvent something that is already so well done.

his will be a thread for discussion of the Imperial Security Troopers as seen in Andor on Ferrix.

This will be the main listing and we'll tackle each part piece by piece (green is done, yellow is WIP, and red is not finalized):

• Helmet 
  • Goggles 
  • Hat
  • Tunic
  • Chest Armor - Version Two, Version Three
  • Back Armor - Version Two, Version Three
  • Shoulder - Version Two, Version Three
  • Biceps - Version Two, Version Three
  • Gloves
  • Belt
  • Trousers
  • Boots
  • E-10.5 Blaster
  • Radio backpack

----------FINALIZED TEXT GOES BELOW THIS LINE------------

Description: Imperial Security Trooper: Andor
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars: Andor (TV Series)

Special Notes:

• The armor parts are painted black, and made from one of these (or similar) types of materials:
    • Fiberglass
    • ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
    • HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)
    • PLA, ABS, PETG (3D Printing)
    • Polyurethane Rubber
  • 3D Printed parts are permitted but all print lines and other artifacts must be removed.
  • Blasters are not required for legion membership per our weapons policy.

Description: Imperial Army Security Trooper: Andor
Prefix: TX
Detachment: Spec Ops Detachment
Context: Star Wars: Andor (TV Series)

The Imperial Army stationed its black-clad Security Troopers on Ferrix to maintain order in the streets. During this time, a civil uprising endangered the peace the Empire sought to maintain. 

Hey, sorry for the earlier post that said it has been quiet in here. For some reason none of these current posts were showing up until I just posted. Last one I saw was from 2022. Anyway, it looks like the helmet is being worked on, so I'll dig in to catch up and then see if there is anything I can add.

Hey, sorry for the earlier post that said it has been quiet in here. For some reason none of these current posts were showing up until I just posted. Last one I saw was from 2022. Anyway, it looks like the helmet is being worked on, so I'll dig in to catch up and then see if there is anything I can add.

There is a great video that was posted in the Facebook group that was taken of the screen used armor for the hot toys display in Japan. It looks like some of those stills are posted here. Does this forum support video if I can get a copy? It allows for a lot of angles that aren't seen in the images. I used it and the FBFX Instagram post for a lot of the modifications I made. I based my initial build from the Yoshstudios STL files but there was a lot of incorrect details that I think he must have pulled from one of the large scale toy models.

I'm not sure if the forum supports native video playback, but feel free to throw up any links you have.

Let us know how the first draft of helmet text compares to your own research, and we can take it from there!

Hi guys, just want to say I'm loving all the work you're doing getting the CRL together and building the suit. I've only been with the 501st for a year with an ANH TK, but ever since I saw the purge troopers, I fell in love with them and knew it was the next costume for me, something about the black and red colour scheme. I'm not skilled in building unfortunately so will need to wait until someone is taking commissions but I'm following with anticipation 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll see if I can share the link. I'll also go through the draft for the helmet. I would love to verify if the helmet LEDs are orange and red. I used yellow on top and red on the bottom. There isn't any clear images that are with the room lights on to show the LED unlit to verify that color combo.

Purge Angle.jpg

image000005.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Leds were a yellowish orange, yours look correct compared to my helmet setup which I ran by my friend who got to wear the real helmet

I also have a private signing with one of the Purge actors for my signature series helmet and while I'm doing the signing with him I'm going to try and ask him some more about certain things on the armor I've been wondering about so I'll let you guys know if he says anything about the armor we don't already know

• Thanks 2

Here are some modifications and additions to the CRL rough draft. I'm adding my comments and notes in red for the group to review and comment on.

HELMET

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a mirrored red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes.

• There is a (matte??) black hexagonal front plate plane, with matte black greebles. (have we verified that this is matte and not gloss??)

• Center top greeble is rectangular in shape with two clipped dog ears on the top right and left corners. Recessed line follows the outline of the greeblie and includes a horizontal intersecting line that runs across the bottom third.

• One longer line is just below the horizontal line on the left bottom.

• One shorter line is just above the horizontal line on the right.

• T-shaped vocoder is in the lower center of the plane with two small rectangles located at the top right and left side. (Small rectangles have a smaller rectangular inset that is matte black?)

• 8 recessed and 9 raised lines run vertically through the center of the vocoder.

• Small raised horizontal rectangle with recessed line is located below the vocoder.

• Rectangular metallic silver (screens?) are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.

• Six pill shaped symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the bottom of the recesses filled with red to match the pauldron, belt accessories and left bicep armor.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with matte black(??) in the recesses (OR cut out, backed with mesh?). (Note from Scott: can we verify that the bottom of the teeth are matte black? What I'm seeing is the silver runs over the teeth and down each side and then back up to the top of the next tooth.)

I also would approve the cut out and adding a screen mesh. I know this is allowed for a number of the other TKs. I did this for my Del Meeko and love the look and the venting. I would do it to this bucket if we agree to allow it.

• Silver half moon greeble on the nose (muzzle??), between the teeth and the front plate.

• Raised planes run on the top of the muzzle along each side of the half moon greeble and are the same height as the greeble.

• Symmetrical recesses with pill shaped greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised stripes that are level with the flat half.

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate running in a triangular shape below the lens opening.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear center of the helmet skirt. The central ridge is roughly 2.5x wider than the ridges to either side of it.

• Top of the helmet is separated from the face plate by a horizontal ridge (band??) running along above the brow and ends at the side greebles. A groove separates the top of the helmet and the rear skirt and continues around the back of the helmet runnin between the side greebles. Rear skirt of the helmet may be a separate part? (Note from Scott: For the rear skirt are we stating that it would be able to be removed as a separate piece?)

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators, range finders, communication transmitters?) with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow ridge, in located between the horizontal band and rear groove that separate the top of the helmet and rear skirt.

•  

Greeble contains two raised and stacked rectangles, each with a circular sphere located near the front, and a single recessed line in the shape of a square outlining the back two thirds of the greeble.

OPTIONAL – top and bottom may be lit using LED. Top LED must be white orange, bottom LED must be red.
  • Two small pill shaped double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear. The rear indentation is vertical and slightly longer than the front indentation that angles toward the front of the helmet.

• Thanks 3

Kenyon, that would be great if you could get a few of the answers that we're struggling with.

Questions we should ask:

1. Is the back pack side panel lit at the bottom? Does that lower rectangular shape light with an LED or if it's just painted red?

2. How are the black cogs created with the red background field for the inside lining of the kama?

3. Are the bottom of the teeth matte black or silver or removed completely?

4. Are the greebles with the lights on the helmet a communicator or something else?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, smoszer said:

Kenyon, that would be great if you could get a few of the answers that we're struggling with.

Questions we should ask:

1. Is the back pack side panel lit at the bottom? Does that lower rectangular shape light with an LED or if it's just painted red?

2. How are the black cogs created with the red background field for the inside lining of the kama?

3. Are the bottom of the teeth matte black or silver or removed completely?

4. Are the greebles with the lights on the helmet a communicator or something else?

ill write these down and ask when I get the opportunity at the signing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/10/2023 at 5:01 AM, smoszer said:

Here are some modifications and additions to the CRL rough draft. I'm adding my comments and notes in red for the group to review and comment on.

HELMET

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a mirrored red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes.

• There is a (matte??) black hexagonal front plate plane, with matte black greebles. (have we verified that this is matte and not gloss??)

• Center top greeble is rectangular in shape with two clipped dog ears on the top right and left corners. Recessed line follows the outline of the greeblie and includes a horizontal intersecting line that runs across the bottom third.

• T-shaped vocoder is in the lower center of the plane with two small rectangles located at the top right and left side. (Small rectangles have a smaller rectangular inset that is matte black?)

• 8 recessed and 9 raised lines run vertically through the center of the vocoder.

• Small raised horizontal rectangle with recessed line is located below the vocoder.

• Rectangular metallic silver (screens?) are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.

• Six pill shaped symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the bottom of the recesses filled with red to match the pauldron, belt accessories and left bicep armor.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with matte black(??) in the recesses (OR cut out, backed with mesh?). (Note from Scott: can we verify that the bottom of the teeth are matte black? What I'm seeing is the silver runs over the teeth and down each side and then back up to the top of the next tooth.)

I also would approve the cut out and adding a screen mesh. I know this is allowed for a number of the other TKs. I did this for my Del Meeko and love the look and the venting. I would do it to this bucket if we agree to allow it.

• Silver half moon greeble on the nose (muzzle??), between the teeth and the front plate.

• Raised planes run on the top of the muzzle along each side of the half moon greeble and are the same height as the greeble.

• Symmetrical recesses with pill shaped greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised stripes that are level with the flat half.

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate running in a triangular shape below the lens opening.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear center of the helmet skirt. The central ridge is roughly 2.5x wider than the ridges to either side of it.

• Top of the helmet is separated from the face plate by a horizontal ridge (band??) running along above the brow and ends at the side greebles. A groove separates the top of the helmet and the rear skirt and continues around the back of the helmet runnin between the side greebles. Rear skirt of the helmet may be a separate part? (Note from Scott: For the rear skirt are we stating that it would be able to be removed as a separate piece?)

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators, range finders, communication transmitters?) with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow ridge, in located between the horizontal band and rear groove that separate the top of the helmet and rear skirt.

•  

Greeble contains two raised and stacked rectangles, each with a circular sphere located near the front, and a single recessed line in the shape of a square outlining the back two thirds of the greeble.

OPTIONAL – top and bottom may be lit using LED. Top LED must be white orange, bottom LED must be red.
  • Two small pill shaped double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear. The rear indentation is vertical and slightly longer than the front indentation that angles toward the front of the helmet.

Cheers, my own thoughts in green:

HELMET

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a mirrored red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes.  Agreed.

• There is a (matte??) black hexagonal front plate plane, with matte black greebles. (have we verified that this is matte and not gloss??)  Definitely not verified as matte.  In Hot Toys it doesn't look much different to the rest of the helmet, but the screenshots and set photos seem to show a very different finish.  I would guess it is either it is gloss dark grey, or black with a matte or satin finish.

• Can you send on some close up images with front plate, greeble vocoder details?  I take it these details are taken from Hot Toys rather than high res screens or set photos?  

• Rectangular metallic silver (screens?) are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.  As above, can you post any close ups to help with this?

• Six pill shaped symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the bottom of the recesses filled with red to match the pauldron, belt accessories and left bicep armor.  Agreed.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with matte black(??) in the recesses (OR cut out, backed with mesh?). (Note from Scott: can we verify that the bottom of the teeth are matte black? What I'm seeing is the silver runs over the teeth and down each side and then back up to the top of the next tooth.) 

Agreed that it could also be one colour and just looks darker in the recesses.  No clear evidence seems available yet.  I was going more by the usual TK/TI convention of having a darker colour in the recesses, or them being cut out completely.  More sources/references needed.

• Silver half moon greeble on the nose (muzzle??), between the teeth and the front plate.  The entire rectangular nose plate seems to be silver, including the half moon greeble.  It is only the original Hot Toys promos that didn't show this, but it seems the final figures corrected this.

• Raised planes run on the top of the muzzle along each side of the half moon greeble and are the same height as the greeble.  I'm not seeing what you mean here, are you able to show any pictures to explain a bit better?

• Symmetrical recesses with pill shaped greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.    Agreed.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised stripes that are level with the flat half.  Can you supply any close ups to explain this better?  I can't see this in the available references.

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate running in a triangular shape below the lens opening Agreed, can fix wording on next draft.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear center of the helmet skirt. The central ridge is roughly 2.5x wider than the ridges to either side of it.  No problem.

• Top of the helmet is separated from the face plate by a horizontal ridge (band??) running along above the brow and ends at the side greebles. A groove separates the top of the helmet and the rear skirt and continues around the back of the helmet runnin between the side greebles. Rear skirt of the helmet may be a separate part? (Note from Scott: For the rear skirt are we stating that it would be able to be removed as a separate piece?)  All agreed except for "between the side greebles".  I would say the rear groove runs underneath the side greebles and meets the brow band?  For rear skirt, no requirement for it to be removable at all.  I would simply suggesting leaving it open that builders can construct both ways - 1)  One single piece, with a groove moulded in, 2) Two pieces, with rear skirt hinged/joined to top dome.

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators, range finders, communication transmitters?) (without sources stating their purpose, maybe we just leave it as "side greebles") with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow ridge, in located between the horizontal band and rear groove that separate the top of the helmet and rear skirt.  It looks to me like the brow band and the rear groove meet at the side, but the side greeble is attached over the top of this join?

•  

Greeble contains two raised and stacked rectangles (squares?), each with a circular sphere (LED?  Can be moulded to look like one, or fully functioning in correct colour?) located near the front, and a single recessed line in the shape of a square outlining the back two thirds of the greeble.  Agreed.

OPTIONAL – top and bottom may be lit using LED. Top LED must be white yellow/orange (more confirmation or references needed on this?), bottom LED must be red.
  • Two small pill shaped double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear. The rear indentation is vertical and slightly longer than the front indentation that angles toward the front of the helmet.  Agreed.

• Thanks 1
  • Can you send on some close up images with front plate, greeble vocoder details?  I take it these details are taken from Hot Toys rather than high res screens or set photos?  

You're correct. Most of the references are from the Hot Toys display in Japan. I will tag them with a HT for Hot Toys and an FBFX if it's from the Instagram photo from the prop shop.

HT-Front-Plan-Straight.jpg

• Thanks 1