Purge Trooper (Phase II) - Kenobi - Discussion

I'm having huge server issues when uploading any image file. I'll have to come back to this later. I've spent my entire lunch break trying to get it to work. Any suggestions on what is going on? I place a file that is 100 KB and it says the max is 30 KB. I reduce the size in Photoshop and to under 30 KB and is says a max file size of .19 KB. 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:13 PM, smoszer said:

I'm having huge server issues when uploading any image file. I'll have to come back to this later. I've spent my entire lunch break trying to get it to work. Any suggestions on what is going on? I place a file that is 100 KB and it says the max is 30 KB. I reduce the size in Photoshop and to under 30 KB and is says a max file size of .19 KB. 

Scott, that is an internal limit that is needed to maintain server space for the detachment and is not an error. You'll need to utilize a 3rd party image service such as (Imgur, Flickr, etc.) to host images and link them back to the thread(s).

• Thanks 1

Here are the images that correspond with the outline bullet to show what I was referencing to write the requirements. These are all from the Hot Toys display and I just zoomed in using Photoshop to crop them tighter. 

•  

• Agreed that it could also be one colour and just looks darker in the recesses.  No clear evidence seems available yet.  I was going more by the usual TK/TI convention of having a darker colour in the recesses, or them being cut out completely.  More sources/references needed.Can you send on some close up images with front plate, greeble vocoder details?  I take it these details are taken from Hot Toys rather than high res screens or set photos?  

• 52903789396_a02e23ac38_m.jpg52903215907_bfa992fb81_m.jpg

• Rectangular metallic silver (screens?) are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.  As above, can you post any close ups to help with this?

• 52903948349_b435dd8bd4_m.jpg

52904254248_8bd3b83de8_m.jpg

• Agreed that it could also be one colour and just looks darker in the recesses.  No clear evidence seems available yet.  I was going more by the usual TK/TI convention of having a darker colour in the recesses, or them being cut out completely.  More sources/references needed.

• 52904172970_44dddbb983_m.jpg

• Raised planes run on the top of the muzzle along each side of the half moon greeblie and are the same height as the greeblie.  I'm not seeing what you mean here, are you able to show any pictures to explain a bit better?

• The file that I started with was built with these raised areas being level with the area that the half moon is sitting on. I had to use bondo to raise it to be the same height as the top of the moon shaped greeblie.

• 52904235318_12d914554a_m.jpg

•  

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised stripes that are level with the flat half.  Can you supply any close ups to explain this better?  I can't see this in the available references.

52904254248_8bd3b83de8_m.jpg

• Thanks 2

HELMET rewritten - remaining problem areas in red, with my comments in green. White text I'm happy with.

• Gloss black in colour, consistent with the rest of the costume.

• Is in proportion to the rest of the costume.

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a mirrored red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes. 

• There is a black hexagonal front plate, with matte black greebles.  Very difficult to call colours here.  It definitely looks like a different finish to the rest of the helmet.

• Centre top greeble is rectangular in shape with two clipped dog ears on the top right and left corners. Recessed line follows the outline of the greeble and includes a horizontal intersecting line that runs across the bottom third.

• One longer line is just below the horizontal line on the left bottom.

• One shorter line is just above the horizontal line on the right.

• The descriptions in red above don't really fit with what I can see there.  It might just be difficult wording, or we might be seeing different things due to the poor quality of references.  Any chance of better shots?

• T-shaped vocoder is in the lower centre of the plate.

• Small black rectangles with rounded corners at the top left and top right of the vocoder.

• 9 raised ridges run vertically across the vocoder.

• Small raised horizontal rectangle with recessed line is located below the vocoder.

• Square profile side tusks run back from the lower edges of this front plate.

• Recessed rectangular metallic silver screens are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.  Each greeble has a raised ridge on 3 sides, angling up from the bottom side of the greeble.

• Six pill shaped symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the bottom of the recesses filled with red to match the pauldron, belt accessories and left bicep armour.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with black/silver in the recesses.  Alternately the recessed may be cut out and backed with mesh to obscure the wearer's face.  I'm a bit reluctant to rely entirely on the Hot Toys here, especially when the show's screens don't have quite the same look, and that it breaks from usual "teeth" convention.  Hopefully we may get a second opinion here.

• Silver rectangular plate on the nose, between the teeth and the front plate, with a silver half moon greeble on top.  This plate is recessed below the angled face plates on either side.  The half moon greeble is level with the adjacent face plates.

• Symmetrical recesses with pill shaped greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised stripes that are level with the flat half.  The picture you supplied for this one didn't seem to upload.  From the other pictures I can see what you mean, but it looks like the lower ridges are below the flat plate above to me.  Do you have a better image that shows different?

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate running in a triangular shape below the lens opening.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear centre of the helmet skirt. The central ridge is roughly 2.5 times wider than the ridges to either side of it. 

• Top of the helmet is separated from the face plate by a horizontal band running above the brow.  A groove separates the top of the helmet and the rear skirt, running across the back of the helmet, meeting the brow band on either side.  The side greebles (communicators/range finders) are attached on top of the joins between the band and the ridge on either side of the helmet.

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators/range finders) with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow band, situated on top of the point where the front band meets the rear groove.

• Greeble contains two raised and stacked squares, each with a circular LED or sculpted imitation located near the front, and a single recessed line in the shape of a square outlining the back two thirds of the greeble.

OPTIONAL – top and bottom may be lit using LEDs. Top LED must be white/yellow/orange (more confirmation or references needed on this?), bottom LED must be red.
  • Two small pill shaped double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear. The rear indentation is vertical and slightly longer than the front indentation that angles toward the front of the helmet. 

• Thanks 1
FXFB-Plate

There is a black hexagonal front plate, with matte black greebles.  Very difficult to call colours here.  It definitely looks like a different finish to the rest of the helmet.

Here is a close up from the FBFX image that I enlarged in Photoshop. What I'm seeing is the plate is gloss, based on the shine of the top edges of greeblies with the screens and the highlights below those same greeblies and highlights below the vocoder along with the shine on the top of the vocoder. It does look like the small verticle rectangles on each side of the vocoder (top of the T) are a flat/matte finish, along with the rectangle just below it. 

Centre top greeble is rectangular in shape with two clipped dog ears on the top right and left corners. Recessed line follows the outline of the greeble and includes a horizontal intersecting line that runs across the bottom third.

One shorter line is just above the horizontal line on the right.

I'm not sure if this image helps clarify what I outlined. I see two rectangles stacked on top of each other. The bottom makes up the bottom third of the greeblie and the top is a rectangle that makes up about two thirds of the shape with the dog ears at the top corners.

The line I see on the lower left of the horizontal line is in the top of that lower rectangle. With this photo, it also looks like there is a small square below it. 

The smaller line on the top that I mentione: in this picture it looks more like a notch that connects with line that goes around the outside of greeblie.

HT-Right-Split-pill-shape

Here is the image of the pill greeblie detail.

HT Front Hot Toys teeth

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't use the hot toys images as a reference. My understanding is that this is a display of the screen worn costumes that they displayed after the filming of the show. Is that not accurate? If this is true, wouldn't it be the best reference images that we have in a good lighting condition?

For the LEDs on the helmet, I'm not seeing white, it looks yellow to me. Kenyon said that someone who saw the helmet up close said they were orange. I don't have any great references for this.

• Thanks 2

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a busy week. I uploaded some references from the FBFX instagram photo that I tried to zoom in on. The teeth image is a different capture from the Hot Toys. Otherwise I don't have any other references that I can find from the screen worn helmet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/23/2023 at 4:06 AM, smoszer said:

FXFB-Plate

There is a black hexagonal front plate, with matte black greebles.  Very difficult to call colours here.  It definitely looks like a different finish to the rest of the helmet.

Here is a close up from the FBFX image that I enlarged in Photoshop. What I'm seeing is the plate is gloss, based on the shine of the top edges of greeblies with the screens and the highlights below those same greeblies and highlights below the vocoder along with the shine on the top of the vocoder. It does look like the small verticle rectangles on each side of the vocoder (top of the T) are a flat/matte finish, along with the rectangle just below it. 

Centre top greeble is rectangular in shape with two clipped dog ears on the top right and left corners. Recessed line follows the outline of the greeble and includes a horizontal intersecting line that runs across the bottom third.

One shorter line is just above the horizontal line on the right.

I'm not sure if this image helps clarify what I outlined. I see two rectangles stacked on top of each other. The bottom makes up the bottom third of the greeblie and the top is a rectangle that makes up about two thirds of the shape with the dog ears at the top corners.

The line I see on the lower left of the horizontal line is in the top of that lower rectangle. With this photo, it also looks like there is a small square below it. 

The smaller line on the top that I mentione: in this picture it looks more like a notch that connects with line that goes around the outside of greeblie.

HT-Right-Split-pill-shape

Here is the image of the pill greeblie detail.

HT Front Hot Toys teeth

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't use the hot toys images as a reference. My understanding is that this is a display of the screen worn costumes that they displayed after the filming of the show. Is that not accurate? If this is true, wouldn't it be the best reference images that we have in a good lighting condition?

For the LEDs on the helmet, I'm not seeing white, it looks yellow to me. Kenyon said that someone who saw the helmet up close said they were orange. I don't have any great references for this.

My apologies, I had no idea that was a display of an actual screen used helmet - I thought it was a close up of one of their figures. If that is in fact screen used, then of course that's an ideal reference to take everything from.

No worries. That's my fault for not making it clear. Hot Toys had a display in Japan of a number of the screen worn costumes and one of the members of the Purge Trooper Phase 2 group on Facebook posted images and a video from when he was at the event. I'm not sure if he's a member of the 501st, but I think he is. I linked the video earlier in the thread in this forum. If you watch it, it has a close up scan from head to toe and from left to right. The only funny thing is the utility belt was put on upside down when they placed it on the mannequin. Let me know if the link to the video doesn't work. I'm also going to reach out to the person who posted everything on Facebook to see if they're 501st. Is so, I'll see if they would be interested in joining this forum to help us out.

• Thanks 2
4小时前,斯莫泽尔说:

不用担心。这是我的错,没有说清楚。Hot Toys在日本展示了一些屏幕服装,Facebook上清洗骑兵第二阶段小组的一名成员发布了他参加活动时的图像和视频。我不确定他是否是第 2 团的成员,但我认为他是。我之前在这个论坛的帖子中链接了视频。如果你看它,它会有一个从头到脚和从左到右的特写扫描。唯一有趣的是,当他们将实用腰带放在人体模型上时,它被倒置了。如果视频链接不起作用,请告诉我。我还将联系在Facebook上发布所有内容的人,看看他们是否是第501位。是这样,我会看看他们是否有兴趣加入这个论坛来帮助我们。

在背景中,腰带也被向后磨损,这可能只是一些错误。我认为皮带应该是直的。spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Most parts look pretty clear to me now, though please let me know what you think of my interpretation of the top greeble:

FB_IMG_1676595221630.jpg

1359516834_P2HelmetGreeble.png.b453d5336ad85409f5ac6aee5954180a.png

I'm seeing three height levels.  The first "step" (red in my simplified diagram) is the same shape as the black outline, but sits inside it.  Then I'm seeing a rectangular bar (green in my diagram) that sits on top of that.  I see an angled notch on the right side of the first step (red), and a rectangular notch at the bottom of the second step (green).  I can also see the recessed line above this second notch (green).  Are you seeing the same arrangement as me?

P2 Helmet Greeble.png

I think you're really close. I think the black shape is the first raised area (first tier) above the plate. The red shape is the next raised area (top tier) above the black shape. I've looked at a few different angles and the green shape looks to be at the same height as the red shape, but the green and red shapes are separated by a "v" shaped beveled line that cuts down into the red shape about 50% of the height of the red shape. The shorter green line to the left side also cuts to the same height as the beveled line above it. The red rectangle shape with the beveled left edge also looks correct. From what I see it cuts out of the red shape (top tier) and the bottom of that shape ends even with the top of the black shape (first tier). The vertical green rectangle looks about 25-30% higher than the black shape (first tier) and notches into the green/red shape. The top of the rectangle notch is cut out to the level with the top tier.

The other thing I noticed, but can't get a close enough view on, is that I'm seeing some type of small shape just to the left of the horizontal green line. It looks to be on the outside edge of the red shape. It almost looks like an extension of the line outside of the red shape. I can't tell if it's just the lighting, if there's a small notch, or there's a small piece sticking out from the edge that's catching the light. If it is there, it's minor to the design, so I'm not sure how critical it is to verify it for the approval.

• Thanks 1

Hey so while everyone is talking about the mouth area I have one sorta major side note to make,

So my friend who got to wear the helmet on set let me know that the main mouth greeblies are actually on a main plate that was an insert into the mouth area and leaves a thin crevice line around the perimeter of the mouth plate between the greeblie plate and the main mouth wall 

you can see in the close up pic of the mouth from the screen used helmet the thin line around the main mouth plate and the other image is my file to try and show better the line 

updated with the Flickr link with all the photos showing this!

https://flic.kr/ps/42qQVA

IMG_9811.jpg

IMG_8841.jpg

• Thanks 2

I think this is great information Kenyon. It helps explain what Daniel was seeing and trying to figure out with the plate and the helmet looking like different finishes. It also explains why it looks like there is such a deep shadow around the edge.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Daniel, I was wondering what we have left to complete the helmet CRL and keep this moving. Kenyon was able to get some great info about the plate and I was wondering your thoughts on adding it. If we should approach this as a standard requirement or as a level 2 option. If we can wrap up the helmet, I think we can pick up a lot of the other descriptions from the other CRLs from similar armor and then outline the differences.

Kenyon, can you upload the image of the plate that you created in your 3D software? The image you sent me via Facebook messenger? I think that's a great example of what you're discribing.

On 6/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, smoszer said:

Hey Daniel, I was wondering what we have left to complete the helmet CRL and keep this moving. Kenyon was able to get some great info about the plate and I was wondering your thoughts on adding it. If we should approach this as a standard requirement or as a level 2 option. If we can wrap up the helmet, I think we can pick up a lot of the other descriptions from the other CRLs from similar armor and then outline the differences.

Kenyon, can you upload the image of the plate that you created in your 3D software? The image you sent me via Facebook messenger? I think that's a great example of what you're discribing.

Scott, sorry for the delay. This has been one of those rare times that every single CRL staff member has been tied up in their life duties. I'll dive into this as well and get up-to-speed to push forward. Thanks for the patience :) 

• Thanks 1
On 6/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, smoszer said:

Yep, here is the link to the Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198523406@N08/

I know theres a lot to figure out here, and I am not nearly as good at this stuff as most of you, but I am noticing a discrepancy in the helmet. The photos from the event that are the screen worn pieces, and pictures of the actual Hot Toy show a difference in the area just below the teeth, in the middle. The area with the half moon looking thing. The screen worn version shows it in grey and it seems a bit recessed. The photos of the Hot Toys figure show it in black and not as recessed, almost on top if you will.

Any way, just my observation to try and help.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, IC-2235 said:

I know theres a lot to figure out here, and I am not nearly as good at this stuff as most of you, but I am noticing a discrepancy in the helmet. The photos from the event that are the screen worn pieces, and pictures of the actual Hot Toy show a difference in the area just below the teeth, in the middle. The area with the half moon looking thing. The screen worn version shows it in grey and it seems a bit recessed. The photos of the Hot Toys figure show it in black and not as recessed, almost on top if you will.

Hey! Glad to have you here helping,

so the hot toys figure does have some inaccuracies in certain areas including that the nose area is supposed to be painted silver, also the half moon piece does sit on top and is not recessed per my on screen source 

On 6/16/2023 at 12:26 AM, IC-2235 said:

Thanks for the spot, extra eyes are always welcome!  Yes, in this case we already spotted that error in the Hot Toys figure, so we'll stick with the screen reference 🙂

Apologies for the enforced absence all.  I shall rewrite the helmet text below and see if we can get this part finalised.  It's looking like it will be the toughest part, so it will be great to move on to the next parts.

• Like 1

HELMET rewritten - changes in red, with my comments in green. White text we seem to all be agreed upon.  To keep things simple, I shall refer to the centre greebles and t-shaped vocodor as one item - "the vocodor".  As per Kenyon's info, we'll treat this as a separately moulded piece that is inserted into a recess in the mouth plate.

Once we are all happy with the wording, I believe the only slightly contentious issues remaining are the colours of the teeth and the top LED.  Unless there is more information on these, we may just have to pick a colour, or give builders the option to pick their own interpretation from the possible options listed below.  I would lean slightly towards the second option.

• The eye lens is one continuous piece with a mirrored red tint and should obscure the wearer’s eyes. 

• The central vocodor should be moulded as a separate piece and is inserted into a recess in the mouth plate.  Alternately it may be moulded as a part of the mouth plate, but with a prominent recessed outline to create the appearance of being separate.

• The top part of the vocodor is rectangular in shape, with two clipped dog ears on the top corners.

• A smaller plate of identical shape sits on top of this panel, leaving a narrow margin around each edge.  There is also an angular cut out at the top of the right edge of this plate.

• A second rectangular plate sits on top of the first, covering the bottom 40% of the lower plate.

• There is a raised horizontal line on the lower left side of this top plate.

• There is a small square recess underneath this raised horizontal line.

• The main body of the vocodor sits below the panel described above.

• Angled "wings" at the top of either side of the vocodor ridges, each slightly under 50% the length of these ridges.  These wings angle down to rest on top of the main mouth plate.

• Recessed rectangular metallic silver screens are inset into the greeble in the front of each side tusk.  Each greeble has a raised ridge on 3 sides, angling up from the bottom side of the greeble.

• Six pill shaped symmetrical recessed stripes on each tusk, with the bottom of the recesses filled with red to match the pauldron, belt accessories and left bicep armour.

• Small raised horizontal rectangle with recessed line is located below the vocoder.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with black/silver in the recesses.  Alternately the recesses may be cut out and backed with mesh to obscure the wearer's face.  I'm a bit reluctant to rely entirely on the Hot Toys here, especially when the show's screens don't have quite the same look, and that it breaks from usual "teeth" convention.  Hopefully we may get a second opinion here.

• Silver rectangular plate on the nose, between the teeth and the front plate, with a silver half moon greeble on top.  This plate is recessed below the angled face plates on either side.  The half moon greeble is level with the adjacent face plates.

• Symmetrical recesses with pill shaped greeble on each side between the side tubes and the cheeks.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised ridges that are level with the flat half.

• Sharp angular cheekbones sculpted into helmet face plate running in a triangular shape below the lens opening.

• Three raised ridges run from the centre of the brow, over the top of the helmet and down to the rear centre of the helmet skirt. The central ridge is roughly 2.5 times wider than the ridges to either side of it. 

• Top of the helmet is separated from the face plate by a horizontal band running above the brow.  A groove separates the top of the helmet and the rear skirt, running across the back of the helmet, meeting the brow band on either side.  The side greebles (communicators/range finders) are attached on top of the joins between the band and the ridge on either side of the helmet.

• Symmetrical rectangular greebles (communicators/range finders) with semi-circular ridges underneath, present at the back of each side of the brow band, situated on top of the point where the front band meets the rear groove.

• Greeble contains two raised and stacked squares, each with a circular LED or sculpted imitation located near the front, and a single recessed line in the shape of a square outlining the back two thirds of the greeble.

OPTIONAL – top and bottom may be lit using LEDs. Top LED must be white/yellow/orange (more confirmation or references needed on this?), bottom LED must be red.
  • Two small pill shaped double indentation in the bottom corners of the faceplate, under each ear. The rear indentation is vertical and slightly longer than the front indentation that angles toward the front of the helmet. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/18/2023 at 12:45 PM, tipperaryred said:

HELMET rewritten - changes in red, with my comments in green. White text we seem to all be agreed upon.  To keep things simple, I shall refer to the centre greebles and t-shaped vocodor as one item - "the vocodor".  As per Kenyon's info, we'll treat this as a separately moulded piece that is inserted into a recess in the mouth plate.

Once we are all happy with the wording, I believe the only slightly contentious issues remaining are the colours of the teeth and the top LED.  Unless there is more information on these, we may just have to pick a colour, or give builders the option to pick their own interpretation from the possible options listed below.  I would lean slightly towards the second option.

• The central vocodor should be moulded as a separate piece and is inserted into a recess in the mouth plate.  Alternately it may be moulded as a part of the mouth plate, but with a prominent recessed outline to create the appearance of being separate.

• The top part of the vocodor is rectangular in shape, with two clipped dog ears on the top corners.

• A smaller plate of identical shape sits on top of this panel, leaving a narrow margin around each edge.  There is also an angular cut out at the top of the right edge of this plate.

• A second rectangular plate sits on top of the first, covering the bottom 40% of the lower plate.

• There is a raised horizontal line on the lower left side of this top plate.

• There is a small square recess underneath this raised horizontal line.

• The main body of the vocodor sits below the panel described above.

• Angled "wings" at the top of either side of the vocodor ridges, each slightly under 50% the length of these ridges.  These wings angle down to rest on top of the main mouth plate.

• Raised teeth painted silver, with black/silver in the recesses.  Alternately the recesses may be cut out and backed with mesh to obscure the wearer's face.  I'm a bit reluctant to rely entirely on the Hot Toys here, especially when the show's screens don't have quite the same look, and that it breaks from usual "teeth" convention.  Hopefully we may get a second opinion here.

• Top of greebles are split in half with the top half being flat and the bottom half having 4 raised ridges that are level with the flat half.

For the teeth I don’t thing the base should have an option of being metal mesh because you can clearly see in this picture of the screen used helmet that it’s solid plastic and painted silver with no metal mesh anywhere on the mouth 

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAJpBT

• Thanks 1

I agree that it doesn't have the mesh. But when trooping this is extremely beneficial for venting and not getting so hot. That's why I'm supporting the option. But if it's decided that it has to be solid. I'm fine with that too.