Imperial Army Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

28 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

@TeaJay thanks for the intel. Whoever has the parts for the full suit up will also be the one we'll need to get the individual pieces from, for consistency on the CRL.

That means all the different parts of the costume for each version might have different pictures unless someone do the full suit up for the three versions?

Edited by Vanedor
clarification
9 minutes ago, Vanedor said:

That means all the different parts of the costume for each version might have different pictures unless someone do the full suit up for the three versions?

We are going to end up treating it like the Mudtrooper CRL with the associated versions, so it could end up with some different images.

I know we had talked about this a few pages back and I'm seeking DCA team review for that.

20 hours ago, TeaJay said:

Who has a helmet?

Hi @TeaJay,

Me and my buddy Kenyon have the helmet almost completed. We are finalizing the small pieces right now and we should have it complete by the end of this week if everything goes right. These pictures were from a couple of days ago and more progress has already been completed last night.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Also, if you need a reference model for the trooper without armor but wearing a one-stripe patch then let me know! I seem to be the only one attempting it right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/20/2023 at 10:11 AM, Alay said:

These are completed in metal!  Just need to make molds to do resin versions.

Do we have a spray paint color match yet?

Give us a shout when you have these in resin form. I'd be interested in purchasing them unpainted (saves you a bit of time).

On 2/10/2023 at 6:43 AM, fb501 said:

The collar was made of the same materiel and was joined inside the plates it wasn't seperate in anyway.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, Bozzy said:

The collar (as far as the Sean Fields one ive modded is a massive bone of contention . Seans original was too thinn and in beefing it up it doesnt sit quite right on the latest version of the armour. 

I am working on  a new one but it proving difficult.

Thanks for the input... Regardless of the material used, I still hate the collar. 😆 Regardless, I posted this on the Mudtrooper FB Build Group page last night, but wanted to post it here for anyone looking for a better solution on their 3D armor kit.

• Like 1
On 2/24/2023 at 1:44 PM, BigJasoni said:

Thanks for the input... Regardless of the material used, I still hate the collar. 😆 Regardless, I posted this on the Mudtrooper FB Build Group page last night, but wanted to post it here for anyone looking for a better solution on their 3D armor kit.

I so need that in rubber. lol

I so need that in rubber. lol  This is the only thing holding me up from being finished with my ICAT. 

spacer.png

This picture was posted by Season 2 director Janus Metz, so consider this a minor spoiler. However, there is something I found interesting: It looks like the Army helmet has a rougher texture. Is this something new for this Season 2 photo? Or is this something that we might not have considered before that's always been there? 

@fb501 Do you maybe have any insight on this? 

• Like 3

from the photos and watching the series i never saw any of this crinkle texture. This looks like what gets painted onto toolboxes to make them more wear resistant. 

• Like 2

on second thought and "upon further inspection and review" I believe this is a bad pull. I do not believe this is a texture that was added, I feel this is a bad vacform pull, and i have a dozen bad pulls in my garage with this texture. 

Years ago when I built a vacform table, and did not know anything about how to do it other than a short and VERY crappy video on youtube.  This was my result on all the plastic we used. This is likley a background character that wont be anywhere near the camera. 

spacer.png 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Vacform table, and did not know anything about how to do it other than a short and VERY crappy video on youtube.  This was my result on all the plastic we used. This is likley a background character that wont be anywhere near the camera. 

spacer.png 

I can see that be a very plausible answer! There is just one question that springs to my mind: I was under the impression that most "new era" productions use Urethane Castings for armor and gear? Can something like that even happen with a pressure casting? 

Either way, I agree, this does not seem to align with the other helmets we've seen and for now we should probably ignore it. If a new style of trooper with this armor shows up, we'll be able to go from there :) 

Yes mudtrooper helmets were kind of textured as said by lewis who painted them for set. 

They used black household emulsion paint brushed on... After about half an hour then began stippling it with bruses as it began to dry giving it the texture. 

• Like 1

I have just gone through the scenes on both Aldhani and Ferrix, and the texture is present on both the grey and green helmets. Timestamps 10:16 33:20 and 37:01 of the Rix Road episode. 

The texture  is VERY faint, less than what I would see on scale models representing cast steel tank turrets on plastic models. Thats due to being molded, then painted, losing the depth of the texture. When I do this texture on models I used a old stiff brush and Mr. Surfacer500 then wet sand it to knock it back. 

But- it is there and at times when the light catches it you can see it- barely. 

I feel this is an L2 item. I could not detect any texture on the armor, that all had smooth appearance in outdoor light.  

Proposal: 

Helmet

• An open-faced, flared helmet which consists of a dome with rim and helmet skirt.
  • A telemetry unit is attached to the right side of the dome and is aligned with the rim.
  • The telemetry unit consists of a rectangle box with detailing that should match the reference image. The telemetry unit is black.
  • The lower end of the telemetry unit sits out from the helmet to allow the goggle elastic to feed underneath.
  • A  raised lip covers the edge of the helmet rim. 
  • Metal/silver Imperial code disks are positioned on both sides of the helmet skirt.
  • The helmet is to be painted very dark grey to match the armor.
  • The helmet may feature a black chin cup with grey webbing strap.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• The helmet has a webbing style head suspension similar to work hard hats.
  • Imperial Code Disks do not feature a notch or groove details.
  • Goggles and strap are permanently mounted to the helmet, with the telemetry unit mounted directly atop the goggle strap. 
  • The helmet outer surface has a mild "orange peel" effect from paint stippling. It shall not be overly done. 
  • Like 3

Helmets we wore weren't textured in any way? The only texture on any of the armour was 3d print lines that weren't completely gone.

After doing some colour tests with the belt box I'm also pretty sure it's a rattlecan paint that was added to them 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/23/2023 at 10:58 AM, Detaleader said:

You know, that's a really good question! 

Here's my take on it: 

Gorn has the pill, Partagaz has the pill. While they are *not* the Aldhani Trooper costumes, I think it's fair to presume they use the same belt boxes, since there is so much parts reuse on the Aldhani costumes as it is. 

Partagaz's belt boxes have darker chipping on their edges, which could be a good indicator of them being painted. spacer.png

oTP30V4.png

CLA91mY.png

This is a photo of Taramyn's belt box: It's not super easy to see due to the low lighting conditions, but I think it's fair too say you can make out a dark spot there that could well be pill shaped

jBD3HBn.png

I've not been able to find anything clearer than that, sorry! 

For the belt boxes. They were cast in a black/grey material then painted. May just be chipping through to the cast material

• Like 5

Fraser wins the day on that one! he was on set, and we will definitely lean into his experience.  So, lets consider the texture issue settled.  Rattle cans will give that, and from what I saw, it was VERY faint, casting no real shadow. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, fb501 said:

Helmets we wore weren't textured in any way? The only texture on any of the armour was 3d print lines that weren't completely gone.

Fraser,

Thanks for the insight. Out of curiosity, can you define “print lines?” The reason I ask is because Lucasfilm’s designers have openly discussed their use of SLS printing and vacuum casting for the costumes on Andor and other new shows. So, knowing that both SLS and vacuum casting rely on mediums (polymer powder and resin) that don’t produce extraordinary lines, I’d like to know what you saw. This would also help to clear up some of the discussion on the “cast” belt boxes that I would imagine were likely SLS prints rather than casts. 

Also, just going back to some of your comments about the costumes being rigid, this starts to make me think that the costumes were made using a more advanced technique. 

Regarding the helmets, you saw them, so it's wise to lean on your analysis for the costumes you saw. However, I’m not sure if the legion’s ever relied on word-of-mouth assessments when developing CRLs, especially when we clearly see texture on screen. I would strongly argue that we don't know for certain that all of the helmets were without texture. Since we clearly see helmets on screen that appear to be textured, can't we leave this as an option for builders? 

Here's why I argue for texture: we know that the mudtrooper helmets were, and unless they created entirely new molds and cast new buckets, we have to assume some of this was reused. However, removing any assumptions, we have these two from Ferrix which Fraser has told us were reused for Aldhani:

UKtuSl4.jpg

hRVoKCG.jpg

and this guy from Episode 6, The Eye on Aldhani:
M7tbEQN.jpg

The one from Aldhani  at the 10:03 mark is the clearest shot we have of a screen used helmet. Please watch it in HD on a larger television if you're able; I wasn't picking up the same detail when I tried watching it on my PC. This is one of the reasons I'm able to justify having a 90" TV in my basement. 😆

Regardless, the helmets I'm seeing are clearly textured. That's not to say some aren't, but the references I'm seeing are.

@Blackwatch @Bozzy @sonfield

• Like 1

Also, for those unfamiliar, this is SLS printing. It's possible they printed these helmets and didn't sand them down. Watch the following video and check out the printed piece at the :35 mark.

• Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.4a5a17dbbbf5e7f9435729611809d92b.png

Grabbing a still digitally rather than a photo of the television seems like a safer approach for the subtle details. Even looking at this photo, I really don't see the texture as described above. Also keep in mind that if they re-painted the helmets from greenblack (Aldhani) to black for Ferrix, they may have rushed when re-painting them (possibly in not ideal ambient temperatures / direct sunlight) leading to that slight orange peel effect on Ferrix. It also makes me wonder if they were brush painted for Ferrix depending on the helmet. In the Ferrix scenes, some select helmets do appear to have a texture present.... however...

Someone previously mentioned that it's important for us to focus on the Aldhani scenes for this specific CRL rather than both Aldhani and Ferrix. I was also guilty of providing examples of both in my prior discussions. 

For the Aldhani version of the helmet I struggle to see the texture.

• Like 1