Imperial Army Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

Forgive me if I misunderstood something, but I was under the impression that Aldhani was shot *after* Ferrix. The Ferrix troopers having the shins, which had been too busted by the time Aldhani came around. 

https://www.fanthatracks.com/interviews/tony-gilroy-on-star-wars-andor-being-shot-out-of-sequence-we-shot-out-everything-in-ferrix-first/

I'll dig through the 4k of the episodes later on too, just so I can double check what's seen on screen. Do some pixel peeking :D 

I think relying on set experience is great, but it shouldn't be our only thing to look at, right? 

Ultimately, I think it's fair to say that this "orange peel" texture should not be mandatory either way. 

23 minutes ago, Detaleader said:

Forgive me if I misunderstood something, but I was under the impression that Aldhani was shot *after* Ferrix. The Ferrix troopers having the shins, which had been too busted by the time Aldhani came around. 

https://www.fanthatracks.com/interviews/tony-gilroy-on-star-wars-andor-being-shot-out-of-sequence-we-shot-out-everything-in-ferrix-first/

I'll dig through the 4k of the episodes later on too, just so I can double check what's seen on screen. Do some pixel peeking :D 

I think relying on set experience is great, but it shouldn't be our only thing to look at, right? 

Ultimately, I think it's fair to say that this "orange peel" texture should not be mandatory either way. 

Oh yea, you're right with the shot order. I don't know where my brain is today. That being said, maybe since there weren't many with helmets on in the Aldhani scenes perhaps they picked the best looking ones that remained undamaged from the Ferrix scene or perhaps they had to make all new ones.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TeaJay said:

image.thumb.png.4a5a17dbbbf5e7f9435729611809d92b.png

Grabbing a still digitally rather than a photo of the television seems like a safer approach for the subtle details. Even looking at this photo, I really don't see the texture as described above. Also keep in mind that if they re-painted the helmets from greenblack (Aldhani) to black for Ferrix, they may have rushed when re-painting them (possibly in not ideal ambient temperatures / direct sunlight) leading to that slight orange peel effect on Ferrix. It also makes me wonder if they were brush painted for Ferrix depending on the helmet. In the Ferrix scenes, some select helmets do appear to have a texture present.... however...

Someone previously mentioned that it's important for us to focus on the Aldhani scenes for this specific CRL rather than both Aldhani and Ferrix. I was also guilty of providing examples of both in my prior discussions. 

For the Aldhani version of the helmet I struggle to see the texture.

True, but as was pointed out, we were told that Aldhani was filmed after Ferrix. But, I think  you missed where I said that the clearest shot of the textured helmet was on Aldhani. I only took a picture of my TV because I was standing in front of it; you also posted a picture of an entirely different Trooper, wearing different gear than the one I posted.

Honestly, we see both textured and what appears to be smooth. However, having heard from the people who painted these helmets previously, the original ones were textured. 

However, we also know that the props department has been making new costumes at an epic rate which is attributed to the technology available to them now that wasn’t available during the making of the Anthology films. It’s very likely that they did make new sets of armor, I.e. helmets for this show and in that process, they left some smooth and others textured.

Long story short: we cannot say definitively that they were ALL smooth. Therefore, we shouldn’t require it for the CRL, nor should we require textured buckets; it should be optional.   We have pictures showing both. 

I would also venture to say that we can’t confirm whether ALL the helmets had the goggles permanently attached or not. Can we? 

Two schools of thought: do we state as it 'may' be present or do we not include it in the helmet writeup since it isnt a requirement?

Have we specifically seen the texture on any of the troopers in Aldhani? I do want to lean on @fb501 's on-set experience as a background performer. He also had a helmet on, he would know. 😂

If we feel it's warranted to be included in the helmet portion of the writeup, then only a slight modification of @Blackwatch's original text should be needed. Something like: 

• The helmet's outer surface may have a mild "orange peel" effect from paint stippling. If present, it shall not be overly done. A smooth outer surface is also acceptable.

So, I went and took the screenshots from 4K source. 

Here's what I find: Two troopers in close up have the texture visible *for sure*. Others in less close up don't seem to have it. Other shots are too dark to effectively tel. 

Here is an album with multiple frames from the same shots. The slight movement in the shot (actors turning head) should show how the light reflects said texture. 

https://imgur.com/a/jU5qYkV

The screenshots are almost a thousand pixels tall, so please right click and open in new tab so you can see the images all the way.

Now, I doubt I'd say every helmet has it and I think the wording of "may have" is perfect, as it gives costumers the option to choose! 

cc: @TeaJay @BigJasoni

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

My 2 cents here, I believe that a paint effect like that should be a L2 detail, if we do include it.

I'd imagine if we stick with the wording as "may" rather than "must" it can fit where you all as staff deem it appropriate; since the way it is worded is more of a guidance line item rather than a requirement... I can see it in L1 or L2, but if you think it makes most sense in L2, I'd say go for what you feel is right.

1 hour ago, TeaJay said:

Have we specifically seen the texture on any of the troopers in Aldhani? I do want to lean on @fb501 's on-set experience as a background performer. He also had a helmet on, he would know. 😂

TJ,
In my post, I pointed out that the Trooper that shows the texturing most clearly is the one on Aldhani in Episode 6 The Eye . This is the same guy as in @Detaleader's first couple pics. Go back and check out episode 6 at the 10:03 mark; it's very clear and reminiscent of what we saw with the Mudtroopers.

31 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

My 2 cents here, I believe that a paint effect like that should be a L2 detail, if we do include it.

I could definitely live with that.

14 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

I'd imagine if we stick with the wording as "may" rather than "must" it can fit where you all as staff deem it appropriate; since the way it is worded is more of a guidance line item rather than a requirement..

I think this captures what I was going after. I just don't living in the "Shall" and "Must" categories unless we know definitively that all costumes were the same. For the Aldhani troopers, shall and must are more appropriate for identifying the different coloration of the buckles, strap traps, etc. Those details are clearly shown on all the costumes.

Thanks for the work everyone; I'll likely be painting my helmet this weekend.

Hello everyone, I know we probably already addressed this but what is the stance on the shade variations for the tunic/trousers?

I batched mine in the same dye using the same process but curiously I've come across a somewhat different olive shade between the trousers and the tunic. Would this still be okay?

spacer.png

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

Hello everyone, I know we probably already addressed this but what is the stance on the shade variations for the tunic/trousers?

I batched mine in the same dye using the same process but curiously I've come across a somewhat different olive shade between the trousers and the tunic. Would this still be okay?

spacer.png

Honestly, if your pants and tunic came out different colors, you can’t tell from this picture.  If I were your GML, I wouldn’t have any issues with this especially once you strap on your armor which will cover a lot. 
You’re looking good so far. I am curious what your dye combination was.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, BigJasoni said:

Honestly, if your pants and tunic came out different colors, you can’t tell from this picture.  If I were your GML, I wouldn’t have any issues with this especially once you strap on your armor which will cover a lot. 

I used Dylon Green and a small sprinkle of chocolate brown for texture. Yeah the tunic and hat came out relatively the same but I noticed the pants came out a little shade tanner. It kind of reminded me of this picture.

spacer.png

Although my pants are a bit greener than the one's on this picture though. I mean the consistency is pretty decent and complimentary in my opinion.

Has anyone by chance come across the model of headset that Corporal Kimzi uses? The closest I’ve been able to get is this guy, although I’m not sure if the description of this listing matches the unit pictured in the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142888416906?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IxwiB7mDSdi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BZMPE1CnTtm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1B2D5024-0855-44B8-970F-90A16CEB2160.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

spacer.png

The Dylon Olive Green will be within the color range seen on screen. The RIT Olive Green dye formula and other similar colors I've tested can be compared here: https://forum.specops501st.com/topic/8801-dye-testing-rit-brand-aldhani-soft-goods/

I tested 9 different RIT formulas with a similar Olive Green style tone. My final color after dyeing with RIT is darker than the premixed Dylon. 

The photos on that thread of my final results have changed. I've washed the uniform on hot 3 times with oxyclean stain remover to lighten the color.

Dylon Olive Green works well for those who don't want to mix multiple dyes with the RIT approach. I spent weeks nailing down color options with RIT. There are some videos on that thread too.

6YAGzQ0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, TeaJay said:

The Dylon Olive Green will be within the color range seen on screen. The RIT Olive Green dye formula and other similar colors I've tested can be compared here: https://forum.specops501st.com/topic/8801-dye-testing-rit-brand-aldhani-soft-goods/

I tested 9 different RIT formulas with a similar Olive Green style tone. My final color after dyeing with RIT is darker than the premixed Dylon. 

The photos on that thread of my final results have changed. I've washed the uniform on hot 3 times with oxyclean stain remover to lighten the color.

Dylon Olive Green works well for those who don't want to mix multiple dyes with the RIT approach. I spent weeks nailing down color options with RIT. There are some videos on that thread too.

6YAGzQ0.jpeg

I always enjoyed seeing that progress you did with the batches. Im pretty satisfied with the color that turned out but I just want to make sure if some minor inconsistency is okay given the proclivity of dying batches.

2 hours ago, IcyTrooper said:

Agreed w/ Ryan here ... I think the horse is dead. My recommendation is also, let's move on for now, and once we get a more definitive answer that everyone can agree on, we can always come back and update the CRL (if we want to do that for L2 detail).

In the past few years, LFL has done an awesome job of parading around the costumes ... I feel good that we will see one of those helmets in the wild one of these days *fingers crossed for Celebration*?

2 minutes ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

I always enjoyed seeing that progress you did with the batches. Im pretty satisfied with the color that turned out but I just want to make sure if some minor inconsistency is okay given the proclivity of dying batches.

Honestly, agreed w TJ - you can't tell at all! 

Looks great. I used Dylon (pod) as well. Worked like magic.

29 minutes ago, jason745 said:

Has anyone by chance come across the model of headset that Corporal Kimzi uses? The closest I’ve been able to get is this guy, although I’m not sure if the description of this listing matches the unit pictured in the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142888416906?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=IxwiB7mDSdi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=BZMPE1CnTtm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd love to know this as well ... have not been able to track down exact model used. Some people have also speculated that greeblies were added to it as well, which is just going to further throw off the search ...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jason745 said:

I agree, that headset with some additional greeblies on top is probably the best we can get. 

*BUT* 

If the plan is still to make the soft parts only costume a separate CRL (I think that's what I had read earlier on the thread), rather than a variant on the same CRL, I think it should only be included with that, as it's clearly not seen on any of the armored characters. 

In addition to Kimzi, it looks like the same style of headset is used on the two gray-flightsuit technicians within the base. 

2 hours ago, Detaleader said:

I agree, that headset with some additional greeblies on top is probably the best we can get. 

*BUT* 

If the plan is still to make the soft parts only costume a separate CRL (I think that's what I had read earlier on the thread), rather than a variant on the same CRL, I think it should only be included with that, as it's clearly not seen on any of the armored characters. 

In addition to Kimzi, it looks like the same style of headset is used on the two gray-flightsuit technicians within the base. 

Not sure if detachment command is going to make the soft parts only a separate CRL. I remember a few of us proposing the idea of separating the soft only from the others with armor and I believe they were in favor of combining helmeted armored, soft cap armored, and soft cap no armor all together into one. Not sure where they landed on it yet.

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, BigJasoni said:

@TeaJay @BigJasoni

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here's the uniform in sunlight. I think you guys should see the shade comparison better here. Would it still be okay or is it too much?

2 hours ago, Wasrovv Slociw said:

@TeaJay @BigJasoni

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here's the uniform in sunlight. I think you guys should see the shade comparison better here. Would it still be okay or is it too much?

Let's talk through it on your build thread rather than the CRL creation thread. As GML of our garrison, I would approve this slight color difference as it is minimal and is cannon to what we've seen with troopers in the episode. Your uniform has less noticeable contrast in color than the trooper here:

oY0BSQc.jpg

which is a great thing... ideally members are not trying to recreate the same drastic color difference as seen with this specific soldier.

Again, as GML of my garrison, I'd approve it. Personally I like the darker olive green with the RIT color dye formula than Dylon, as I'm trying to match closer to Nemik and a few other background performers at the checkpoint:

2sGqE5X.png

I see @fb501 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 3/7/2023 at 11:00 PM, Hoda said:

Waiting for that CRL ... (All the parts are here!)

ajPZZS4l.jpg

Eric, who did the soft parts and do they match up pretty well with the CRl so far? 

9 hours ago, pm07 said:

Eric, who did the soft parts and do they match up pretty well with the CRl so far? 

This is the Imperial Boots set and, I went over the CRL line by line, pretty sure they line up nicely (at least for lvl 1 - I didn't look too close at lvl 2 yet). Check out my 360 here for more photos https://imgur.com/a/jqsxYYQ

14 minutes ago, stormachtig said:

@TeaJay

Interestingly enough, I used Dylon, and the shade of green is highly dependent on the amount used.

I used the recommended amount for the weight of fabric, and it came out at the darker end of the range, more in line with your second screenshot.

Hiya Storm! I also used Dylon. I ended up using the "pod" version of their dye vs. the powder ones, and the color I got is ... what I have now. I would recommend continuing this conversation over at @TeaJay's post here so we can centralize all the color conversations in one place 

• Like 2