Imperial Army Trooper - Andor - CRL Discussion

9 hours ago, nanotek said:

I believe most (if not all) of the modern armor that has been created since R1 has been a flexible PU. 

A lot of it is, but we're actually seeing a combination of multiple materials; that's why I'm trying to figure this particular piece out. Honestly,if appearance is all that matters, it shouldn't really be a concern. However, as long as we continue to include the following verbiage in the CRL, GMLs are somewhat limited in their discretion:

The armor parts are matte and are made from one of these (or similar) types of materials:

• Fiberglass
  • ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene)
  • HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene)

None of these are truly flexible materials, nor is Polyurethane similar to any of them; that's why I've been attempting to get detachments to change the wording.

We do know that the costume departments have employed a vacuum casting procedure for creating the armor, but separating which parts were cast in PU rather than a more common (hard) urethane has been a bit of an adventure. We also now have the Adam Savage tested videos where the FBFX fabricators were a little more candid than designers have been in the past. In the Clone Trooper video for example, at the 6:12 mark, Alea specifically says "urethane," but then at 7:38, points out the soft rubber at the back of the knee and then knocks on the bicep armor and calls it "hard." Additionally, when they're discussing the straps at the 7:15 mark, the thigh armor appears to flex a little bit, but you can't really tell. Unfortunately, these "I think I saw it flexing" moments have led to a few CRLs in various detachments requiring flexible materials be incorporated for higher level approval. 

This is also a clone trooper, so we'll let those guys argue that one out. 😆

Other flexible examples we've seen in the new generation shows (Anthology movies and Disney + series') include Boba Fett's armor, Din Djarin's hip plates, and various cod pieces and posterior armor amongst the troopers, but that's about it.  

So, here's the reason I want to hunt this info down: 1: This piece is a horrible design and frequently breaks. So if builders can make it out of a flexible material, then let's denote that in the CRL. On Tuesday, @Blackwatch said:

On 2/7/2023 at 2:59 PM, Blackwatch said:

as long as it passes GML for approval, I personally am not going to ask what each part of the costume is made from, as long as it looks right.

I agree. So, 2: Lets change the verbiage in the CRL and state that flexible materials may be used in areas that frequently move or are prone to breaking. For level 2, our Deathtrooper CRL states that the shoulder straps "will be rubber," but in this thread, we've annotated that the shoulder straps are permitted to be made of cast flexible urethane or other flexible material.  I would suggest doing the same thing for other pieces. 3: Let's eliminate the potential for an overzealous GML to disqualify a new recruit based on their chosen material. IS makes incredible gear, but if they're making flexible pieces, then per the verbiage in the current CRL, it's wrong.

I appreciate that this CRL is being done right and apologize for revisiting elements that were effectively closed. But, as we wind it down, I do feel that if there's any loose ends, they should be tied up so we're not calling for revisions later on down the road.

Thanks for being patient with me.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, sonfield said:

What is your tenacious mix %?  I also use abs like smoke. Love it.  entire blaster, "backpack', shoulders, biceps on mine are resin.  TPU straps, PLA+ all else.  1000% sure that most of the armor these days is rubber.  

Just finished resin boxes and also the version 5 and 6 buttstocks.  Painting and posting today

Justin,
Typically for armor pieces I use a 80/20 mix. 80% Fast ABS Like and 20% Tenacious. I've seen people use 90/10, but that left my pieces a little too brittle. I've gone as low as 50/50, but that ended up being "gummy," even after significant curing. 

• Like 1

All the armour was a stiff cast material, was very brittle. Im not enough of an expert to say what it was made of.

the inside of the chest I noticed it was 3d printed and had been done in multiple pieces when printed as you could see the seam lines and the print lines went in different directions.

Not sure if the joined them together pre or post casting.

Was told we didn't have the shins because they were too brittle from casting and they had destroyed alot of them (our scenes I believe were filmed post ferrix)

The collar was made of the same materiel and was joined inside the plates it wasn't seperate in anyway.

We had velcro at the overlap at the hips and we put the chest, back ensemble on as one and connected it there.

• Like 2

Thank you @sonfield, as always tank you @fb501 and @BigJasoni I agree, and Ill tag @IcyTrooper to let him know that Ill be including the verbiage suggested in that first round proposal.  I was watching a Korean space epic last week, and the armor was clearly form fitting and flexed when the actress moved. 

Ok, so its Friday and as previously stated Ill be packaging up the blaster text and adding to the first post. Ill be going with the text proposal I had on Wednesday at 1852. 

I know we have to wait for the LMO to be ratified and seated before we can push on much further, but with the final text for the blaster, we have a proposal now to put in front of the LMO on day 1. 

I have already written the text  for the soft and armored version of the Security trooper, and Ive noted on rewatching

there are some unusual color placements on the black soft uniform. 

This has been a big effort on the part of a lot of people. We are very fortunate to have Fraser give us his input from the field. 

Thank you all, Now lets go enjoy the weekend!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 2/9/2023 at 1:15 AM, BigJasoni said:

Fraser, thanks for the insight. Can you tell us anything about the collar. As I said previously, for the ICAT, Mudtrooper, Shoretrooper, etc. this is the weakest part of the costume and could definitely benefit from being flexible. I'm getting ready to cast one out of polyurethane, but was just curious if you had any insight?
Thanks!

The collar (as far as the Sean Fields one ive modded is a massive bone of contention . Seans original was too thinn and in beefing it up it doesnt sit quite right on the latest version of the armour. 

I am working on  a new one but it proving difficult.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the work into this, we are going to start reviewing the text and start collecting the pictures as well, so that we can start working on the wiki. Keep in mind, there still may be changes required as we see stuff, but we'll make sure to update the associated first page, first post and/or post along the thread for discussion if needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/8/2023 at 11:04 AM, Wasrovv Slociw said:

Hey guys, sorry if this isn't pertinent to the weapon topic but I got information from Ezra over at BaileysBuild Designs and she is working on production for the correctly dimensioned and pill notch belt boxes in case if anyone is looking to meet the anticipated L2 CRL criteria.

These are completed in metal!  Just need to make molds to do resin versions.

Do we have a spray paint color match yet?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alay said:

These are completed in metal!  Just need to make molds to do resin versions.

Do we have a spray paint color match yet?

I have this color I used for my belt boxes.

spacer.png

On another note, does anyone know what sling they are using for the E-10.5 Rifle?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, stormachtig said:

I was debating whether to ask this, but here goes - apologies in advance. ;)

Are we 100% sure that the "hero" belt boxes also have the pill-shaped cut-out/indentation?

Not just the stunt ones?

You know, that's a really good question! 

Here's my take on it: 

Gorn has the pill, Partagaz has the pill. While they are *not* the Aldhani Trooper costumes, I think it's fair to presume they use the same belt boxes, since there is so much parts reuse on the Aldhani costumes as it is. 

Partagaz's belt boxes have darker chipping on their edges, which could be a good indicator of them being painted. spacer.png

oTP30V4.png

CLA91mY.png

This is a photo of Taramyn's belt box: It's not super easy to see due to the low lighting conditions, but I think it's fair too say you can make out a dark spot there that could well be pill shaped

jBD3HBn.png

I've not been able to find anything clearer than that, sorry! 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Alay said:

That chipping is a great indication at least some of them were painted.  The aldhanni trooper ones definitely were hit with a darkened gray or green tinted paint.

Yep! The question is just in which order scenes were filmed. IIRC everything on Ferrix was filmed first, as far as outdoors stuff goes. Where the ISB scenes fit in the production timeline, I do not know. 

Where the boxes silver, gray, and then silver again? First dark and then silver? I think unless somebody gets a shooting schedule, just a point to speculate over :)

54 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

Just an FYI on this that we are waiting for ratification from the election to finish out so that we can get the wiki going.

Will need pictures from someone for this for CRL model @Blackwatch 

I have some photos submitted to @Blackwatch and I think @sonfieldhad some submitted as well. Mine without the rank on the shoulderbell and @sonfieldhas his with it. We'll need someone willing to suit up with the helmet and one with all soft parts only.

Here's the album, I have it set for view for anyone who has the link (parts already pre-photoshopped with transparency -- armor color is the SW6994 custom ordered spray paint) : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1rCI9_phNdunZo9prwVgo3kVRJm7bERgx?usp=share_link

My Full Suit up (no rank on shoulder):

https://imgur.com/a/CxmbHjQ --- Lighting is a tad hard with the florescent, can retake them if needed. 

Detail photos that were requested by @Blackwatch:

Justin's post of photos:

Justin suited up (rank on shoulder)

Who has a helmet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TeaJay thanks for the intel. Whoever has the parts for the full suit up will also be the one we'll need to get the individual pieces from, for consistency on the CRL.

@Blackwatch let me get a Google Drive folder setup in our chat and I can provide you with it and we'll reach out to who is doing the pictures and get them in that drive for editing by the CRL image team.

• Like 1